• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

My take on Shazier

• Thread starter Thread starter Idioteque
  • Start date Start date
I keep trying to like this pick but just am not sold. I watched his highlight film and it wasn't great. He is very small. His arms look like twigs. Someone posted on here he was 237. I saw this morning that he was listed at 222. That is a safety.

Where did you see 222 lbs posted? Ohio State listed him at 230, behind the steel curtain listed him at 225 before the combine, NFL.com has him at 237 at the combine.

osufb-nfl-1-5-art-gaaqet7v-1osu13b10-jq-23.jpg

1393549797000-cxx-ohiostate-27.jpg

twigs eh? But then again, most people feel that big arms equals big strength, when it's actually your core/chest/legs that give you your big strength. Shazier is the perfect example. He may not have massive arms, but he put 225 up 25 times. That's nothing to sneeze at. The fact that he's only 21, he has plenty of time to get even stronger. You guys want these kids to be drafted and instantly be the 8 year vet. It's unrealistic to say the least.

And just to throw this out there, the Monster that was Greg Lloyd, was 228 lbs. Joey Porter was 241 lbs at the combine, and he's two inches taller.

Another SN prophesy fulfilled.....

Originally Posted by blitzburghv
Half this board WONT like the player we pick tonight.....

The other half will masturbate to his photo...

Where did you see 222 lbs posted? Ohio State listed him at 230, behind the steel curtain listed him at 225 before the combine, NFL.com has him at 237 at the combine.

osufb-nfl-1-5-art-gaaqet7v-1osu13b10-jq-23.jpg

1393549797000-cxx-ohiostate-27.jpg

twigs eh? But then again, most people feel that big arms equals big strength, when it's actually your core/chest/legs that give you your big strength. Shazier is the perfect example. He may not have massive arms, but he put 225 up 25 times. That's nothing to sneeze at. The fact that he's only 21, he has plenty of time to get even stronger. You guys want these kids to be drafted and instantly be the 8 year vet. It's unrealistic to say the least.

And just to throw this out there, the Monster that was Greg Lloyd, was 228 lbs. Joey Porter was 241 lbs at the combine, and he's two inches taller.
It was on Foxsports overall list of the first round. His arms looked small when I watched his highlight video but after seeing the combine pics, etc. that definitely is not the case. He is a physical specimen. The more I look, the more I am liking the pick. Still not sold he will start this year but we'll have to wait until camp to see. I hope he doesn't have any restrictions on him and can participate in all offseason activities. I hate when picks can't. That puts them way behind the curve.

I bet foote and farrier played at low 230's

Farrior was reported to have played closer to 220 in his final couple seasons. He cut weight in an attempt to regain some speed. Also made him a liability when taking on blockers. Need some mass.

Shazier was 237 at the combine, a ripped up 237. He is not carrying excess weight and could easily add some size to his frame and not be too fat. In fact, I would argue he could use another 10 pounds and carry it well. He obviously did not lose speed/explosion/COD with the added weight.

I unfortunately have 2 friends and a brother that are both OSU Buckeye fans and Clowns fans.
Watching the draft with them last night, all 3 moaned in disgust as we took Shazier and collectively stated that was the last team they wanted Shazier to go to, and then said he's the complete opposite of the idiots Holmes and Adams we drafted.
All said he was a "coach's pet, first one in/last one out of practice, always in the film room, team first and always, never takes a play off, always near the ball, and plays sideline to sideline player."

Then I laughed at them as they all threw things, cursed, and hung their heads 8 picks later.
And to top it off was the image they showed of Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, and Johnny Manziel all picked by Cleveland with the Clowns' second 1st round pick at #22 in 2007, 2012, and 2014 collectively.
All kinds of awesomeness!

Farrior was reported to have played closer to 220 in his final couple seasons. He cut weight in an attempt to regain some speed. Also made him a liability when taking on blockers. Need some mass.

Shazier was 237 at the combine, a ripped up 237. He is not carrying excess weight and could easily add some size to his frame and not be too fat. In fact, I would argue he could use another 10 pounds and carry it well. He obviously did not lose speed/explosion/COD with the added weight.

Dude turns 22 in Sept. He can certainly add mass to frame although 25 reps on the bench is not too bad if he has relatively long arms (I read that somewhere...).

Apparently Shazier will wear no.56

Jerry Jones took sick when we drafted Shazier. Dallas was absolutely gonna draft him. Reports are out that Shazier was on the phone with the Cowboys when the Steelers drafted him..

If you listed to the pre draft press conference with Tomlin/Colbert. Tomlin spoke about two things. One getting more pressure on the QB from the middle and sub package defense. I believe that Shazier was the player they had targeted.

When it first happened I wasn't very happy with the pick.

I'm still mulling it over in my head this morning. I think it's another Tomlin pick. He loves him some run-and-hit linebackers and evaluated/grades them like he's still running the Tampa-2 defense. You can tell from Colbert's quote in the article above he has concerns about Shazier's size ("...he has to get stronger, he’s going to have to get bigger. There are some big guys who will get on him on occasion...").

Our defense is changing now into Tomlin's vision. Cowher's big and physical guys are getting replaced with smaller and faster guys. Heyward, Timmons, Jones, Worilds, Shazier.... that's the direction the defense is going.

Prior to the injury, one could fit Spence under that criteria as well.

Tomlin definitely seems to hold a bit of a Derrick Brooks fetish. That's not even remotely a bad thing in itself, but can become problematic when you're implementing an entirely different scheme.

Prior to the injury, one could fit Spence under that criteria as well.

Tomlin definitely seems to hold a bit of a Derrick Brooks fetish. That's not even remotely a bad thing in itself, but can become problematic when you're implementing an entirely different scheme.

I was always against the Spence pick as well. Never understood the love he got. And I agree his film in college was VERY SIMILAR to Shazier's. The only reason Shazier was a 1st round pick and Spence a 3rd round pick was size (Spence was even smaller than Shazier).

Another interesting tidbit: This is Tomlin's 3rd LB picked in the first round of the draft. In Cowher's 16 years as head coach he never once selected a LB in round 1.

Cowher didnt have to take LBs early because we were one of the few teams playing a 3-4. Now all those tweeners we were able to steal late are being drafted early. IMO

I'm torn on the pick but I totally understand it. I don't think they were ever going to take a CB in the first round.

In today's NFL you have to be prepared for a passing offense. To me Shazier is a bigger Spence. I was against the Jones pick last year because of his health issues and his horrible metrics. Shazier has none of those issues. So I can understand the pick. You can put Shazier next to Timmons to call the defense and leave Troy to do his thing. This could be a really good defense if they can get help on the DL. I don't want Nix because he doesn't fit the faster nickel package the Steelers are obviously trying to configure.

Cowher didnt have to take LBs early because we were one of the few teams playing a 3-4. Now all those tweeners we were able to steal late are being drafted early. IMO

I think it is more that Cowher played linebacker and could help find the later round guys he liked. He developed a lot of later round guys. But, we drafted a lot of DBs early under Cowher, never really had great ones. I think they do a little better with corners now. Wide receivers as well.

Different coaches like different things. I think some have eyes towards different things. Cowher wanted bigger LBs and speed was secondary to their play. Tomlin will work through smaller guys if they can fly. To me, Cowher had more of a trench mentality where Tomlin had more of a secondary mentality. You can find both in linebackers. Probably why it is so muddy to us now.

Great point. Anyone think Joey Porter the prospect would be there in the 3rd this year?

That maybe true to TMC. Thats why we seem to have better luck under Tomlin with DBs and WRs later like we did under Cowher with LBs. Fits there backgrounds.

The more I read and think about the pick, the more I like it. Shazier will be able to stay on the field every down. He won't have to be subbed. And, he is so damn fast, he can cover pretty much any WR heading down field. This kid could be something special with his football smarts, athleticism and speed. Just imagine your LB covering WR's. He is definitely fast enough to do it.

I think they panicked (AGAIN!) when Fuller was taken.. .

ha - I said the very same thing aloud the minute he was taken

The Steelers = the Buckeyes East

Pittsburgh defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, a former Buckeye, loves current Buckeyes. Shazier is Ohio State's first first-round pick since defensive lineman Cameron Heyward went No. 31 in the 2011 draft to the Steelers. Pittsburgh also drafted Thaddeus Gibson in the fourth round and Doug Worthington in the seventh round in 2010. And on the offensive side, Pittsburgh took tackle Mike Adams in the second round in 2012.

So for four of the last five years, the first Buckeye drafted went to Pittsburgh.

Mike Tomilin: "What we needed was a defensive playmaker and he fits the bill in that regard. ... He's got no holes. He's a football lover."

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/05/2014_nfl_draft_capsule_ohio_st.html

I would have loved this pic around 20 or after. What worries me is he was not considered a day one pic until after the combine. Tomlin said that his stats were impressive but if that was the case why wasn't he considered 1st or 2nd round pick before his work out? I hope they are right about him but I would put more value on his game tape instead of just work out numbers. This is why I wish they would have the draft earlier rather than later. too much information overload and over analysis. I would like to have the draft before free agency.

Mike Tomilin: "He's got no holes. He's a football lover."

That worries me. Tomlin said the exact same thing when they picked Hood.

I would have loved this pic around 20 or after. What worries me is he was not considered a day one pic until after the combine. Tomlin said that his stats were impressive but if that was the case why wasn't he considered 1st or 2nd round pick before his work out? I hope they are right about him but I would put more value on his game tape instead of just work out numbers. This is why I wish they would have the draft earlier rather than later. too much information overload and over analysis. I would like to have the draft before free agency.

He was. The NFL Advisory Committee gave him a 2nd round grade and many mocks had him late-1st. He may not have been on some lists because he was a junior and it was a surprise he came out. The combine certainly helped him, but he was in the mix.

And, it is now evident that Dallas wanted, talk was he would not have made it past Green Bay. They would have played him as an ILB as well.

So, the interest was there.