• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

My take on Shazier

• Thread starter Thread starter Idioteque
  • Start date Start date
Hated the pick yesterday, coming to terms with it today. We needed a CB, but we also needed an ILB and now we need a NT to cover him up. Day two here we come

All of the fretting and hand-wringing over 5 draft spots is just silly. It's Mel Kiper fodder. If you feel a player is great and will have a great career, then down the road will you really care whether you drafted him at 15 or 20? I doubt the Texans' brass is bummed because J.J. Watt was more of a 15-20 prospect and they took him at 11.

Of course, you should always look to trade down and take your guy a little later IF you can find a trade partner and add picks. But if you can't, then you have two choices: take your guy 5 spots early and deal with Kiper criticizing it, or throw away your draft board and take whomever he says you should. And by accounts, the Steelers had no trade options out of 15 and Shazier was highly coveted at 16, 17, and 21.

I want to like the pick, but can't get beyond the fact that the only highlight he seems to have on tape that anyone wants to show is one sack that they show over and over, even in the same highlight reel. Seems like a high-character guy, and he put up good measurables.

Apparently they did receive calls about trading down but liked Shazier enough to rebuff any calls.

Headlines - "Stubborn Steelers refuse to consider trading down"

I still can't believe we took another Suckeye!

Apparently they did receive calls about trading down but liked Shazier enough to rebuff any calls.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20140509/SPORTS0403/140509484#.U2z_pr3D_qA
from this article..... Most impressively, 22.5 of his tackles were made behind the line of scrimmage last season.

We all know that we have been missing a big play guy lately. Just watching him get into the backfield on his speed and nose for the ball gives me hope that he can continue to do that in the NFL. Would love to see him be a Steeler Great in a few years.

Ummmm, Heyward is pretty damn good. Also, watch Adams get the RT job over Dilbert and be awesome there.

Headlines - "Stubborn Steelers refuse to consider trading down"

I still can't believe we took another Suckeye!

The article today states they did not waste anytime trying to get the pick in this year either. It would have been interesting if a trade could have been made.

I want to like the pick, but can't get beyond the fact that the only highlight he seems to have on tape that anyone wants to show is one sack that they show over and over, even in the same highlight reel. Seems like a high-character guy, and he put up good measurables.

Go look at the first post in this thread. He looked great against Clemson.

Ummmm, Heyward is pretty damn good. Also, watch Adams get the RT job over Dilbert and be awesome there.

hahaha - Adams is a stiff and Heyward isn't much better - our D line is the worst it's been in 30 years

Ohio State is a Division II school these days - at least take someone from a real conference at #1

I disagree on these. I know I'm right, so no worries here.

hahaha - Adams is a stiff and Heyward isn't much better - our D line is the worst it's been in 30 years

Ohio State is a Division II school these days - at least take someone from a real conference at #1

Heyward finished the year very strong and he is going to be the cornerstone of the dl for many years.

Just because you receive calls doesnt mean you have to trade down..you have to feel comfortable knowing you can still get your guy. Obviously they didnt.

Just because you receive calls doesnt mean you have to trade down..you have to feel comfortable knowing you can still get your guy. Obviously they didnt.

And wouldn't have got him because Dallas was going to take him with the next pick. People are upset because they didn't trade down and take "their" guy, yet most wanted them to stay true to the board and pick BPA over need. It seems to me that Colbert/Tomlin basically said that's what they did.

Better than the eagles taking a ranked 3rd pick in the first.

Steeler Nation will almost always complain about a draft pick. If we reach for need, it's "why didn't we take BPA." If we take BPA, it's "but we needed [another position]". And we always could have traded down and gotten the same player or one equally good...because all the other teams are morons willing to make absurd deals with us...

Steeler Nation will almost always complain about a draft pick. If we reach for need, it's "why didn't we take BPA." If we take BPA, it's "but we needed [another position]". And we always could have traded down and gotten the same player or one equally good...because all the other teams are morons willing to make absurd deals with us...

/\ Truth, can't please em

Better than the eagles taking a ranked 3rd pick in the first.

I liked what the Eagles did. They only had 6 picks this year and they need a lot. Traded back, got an extra 3rd and I think M. Smith is a very underrated prospect that should be very good at getting sacks in the NFL. He really looks the part for an OLB/pass rusher.

I will bet you money he turns out better than Jarvis Jones.

So the Cowboys were on the phone with Ryan Shazier right as the Steelers were drafting him? That's funny. Hey kid click over on your phone, its a call from the 412 area code calling you right now!

I remember a few years ago when the NFL/ESPN had Flashback bio's with players talking about their draft day and what was it like to get that phone call from some team. They had Joey Porter's comments and he said the Cowboys had called him to say they were going to draft him if they got the chance but the Steelers drafted him before the Cowboys could pick him. Interesting how that worked out.

Update: Ooops! My bad everyone, I got the story @ssbackwards. Just found out the Cowboys passed on Porter in the draft and took some other player after telling him they were going to draft him in the 2nd round, took his family to dinner, and gave them some gear with a cell phone to call him. I'll be outside running some extra laps as punishment for the bad info.

Last edited:
Patrick Willis is 6'1" 240. NaVorro Bowman is 6' 242. This is their NFL playing weight. Shazier is coming out of college at 6'1" 237 and he's a better athlete.

Shazier is going to be a Mack/WILB, the playmaking, run-and-hit, sideline-to-sideline guy. He is not supposed to be getting blocked; that's the point of the 3-4 and his position. And how awesome will our ILB crossfire blitz be with Shazier/Timmons?

Also, wasn't Farrior playing the Buck at around 220 for at least a few years?

I am just hoping they gave the playbook to Shazier (likely today) so he can start learning it prior to training camp.

That way he can teach it to Timmons. Kidding.....kind of....