• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

My thoughts on today...

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
which I considered posting on facebook, but just decided I don't need the aggravation....

Contrary to a lot of what I am reading on social media...as a mom who volunteers with high schoolers a lot...in general, our kids are intelligent. They are thoughtful. They have access to eons more information than we did at their age. They care deeply about the world they live in. Whether they walked out or stayed in to express their points of view, I applaud them for caring enough to have a voice in something that affects them personally.

They are also by and large kind and inclusive, and they care about their fellow classmates. I've witnessed them reach out when kids are struggling or alone. "Walking up" is great, being kind and inclusive are wonderful things and while I am sure bullying can and does go on, I also notice kids making these efforts on a regular basis.

We can't blame our teens for not being able to identify and "fix" seriously mentally ill, dangerous individuals. We adults aren't even all that great at it. There's a big difference between on odd or awkward kid who just needs a friend and a seriously disturbed kid who dreams of violence and kills animals for fun. We can't say, if only someone had sat with him at lunch, this never would have happened. That's way too simplistic, and blames kids for becoming victims of violence. It's not their job to identify and neutralize threats, it's ours.

Disclaimer: Like a lot of people, I made a Tide Pod joke here a few weeks ago. But the reality is, the vast majority of our kids are not dumb enough to eat Tide Pods, and they are also not mostly the self-centered, bullying, uneducated snowflakes that some are portraying them to be either.

The future may not look exactly like what some of us old folks might want it to, but it is their future.

While I feel like this march was misguided and largely symbolic in that I doubt it changes anything substantively, it was good to see a group of people from two sides of a discussion stand together for a common cause. There just may be hope.

My son carried pro-2nd amendment signs during the walkout today...

I told all my kids it's their decision but all I asked was that they inform themselves and at least have a cogent opinion on the subject before they join in and just follow the leader. I've always encouraged them to think for themselves and their 3 opinions on the subject run the gamut. Not sure what my pro-Trump son ended up doing today.

I would be shocked if teachers and or principal didn’t give him **** about it too.

Our school at least has expressed a commitment to being open to all points of view. I think most kids are aware of what the "preferred" stance is though.

My girls knew not to even ask me to sign the permission form for the walkout. It's all misguided liberal bullshit.

Don't permission slips kind of defeat the purpose?

Don't permission slips kind of defeat the purpose?

Their middle school required the morons who wanted to walkout to have a permission form signed by a parent. I was pissed that the school even gave them that option instead of making them stay in class.

So, he stayed in, and said a lot of his friends also stayed. In fairness it was Pi Day and they were eating pie at the time, lol. I think the peer pressure to walk out was strong until they realized they weren't the only ones staying.

The girls went out. It was more of a "we must come together to find solutions" type of rally than a gun control rally according to them. We live in a pretty Republican area so I'm not too surprised. They also only allowed them to walk out into an enclosed courtyard, for safety reasons, and no media or parents were allowed in. So pretty much a non-event.

Yeah I'm hoping this goes away soon. It's become exploitation of children by a media with an agenda.

High school kids should be finding ways and reasons to cut classes, not be organized into a convenient opinion parroting group.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

I told all my kids it's their decision but all I asked was that they inform themselves and at least have a cogent opinion on the subject before they join in and just follow the leader. I've always encouraged them to think for themselves and their 3 opinions on the subject run the gamut. Not sure what my pro-Trump son ended up doing today.

i dont have time for my idiots to think for themselves!

I look on it as a field trip. A 17 minute field trip.

I sent this to my school board rep this morning -

My son and his friends understand that the walkout is about gun control, and they are not participating.

Whether or not the school officially sanctioned this as a gun control event, I don't think the school should be supporting political statements at all. Anyone claiming that this walkout is apolitical would be disingenuous or naive. In any case, haven't we missed enough school already this year?

I don't see anything good coming from this activity, and can definitely envision some division and even conflict arising as a result of this. Neither am I thrilled about the school encouraging meaningless gestures at the expense of productive time as a positive thing.

Please pass on my opinion about this to the appropriate people.

The schools helping to make useful idiots of our kids. What else is new?

So a school supports students NOT being in school, even if for only 17 min. Makes no sense to me.

i dont have time for my idiots to think for themselves!

Ha ha, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply your kids don't think for themselves. I was more lamenting the fact that I haven't been as much of an influence on some of them as I would like.

My 2 cents.
1). Protests / marches don’t solve anything...they are for attention seekers who are waiting on someone else to fix whatever issue is on the table.
2). If there was some psycho copycat out there looking for the mother of all headlines, they were handing him /her the perfect opportunity today by herding a group of kids out in the open ripe for the picking. Thank god that didn’t happen.

After Ferguson our middle school kids went out and marched around the school perimeter. It seemed to do them good to get the exercise and helped with frustrations. It wasn't a big deal. I'm not sure what happened today. We're pretty pro 2nd amendment in this area.

My 2 cents.
1). Protests / marches don’t solve anything...they are for attention seekers who are waiting on someone else to fix whatever issue is on the table.
2). If there was some psycho copycat out there looking for the mother of all headlines, they were handing him /her the perfect opportunity today by herding a group of kids out in the open ripe for the picking. Thank god that didn’t happen.

Protests and marches absolutely do have an effect.... the anti war protesters during Vietnam most definitely influenced the politics of the time... as did the civil rights marches.