• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Negative comments about Mason Rudolph

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, I keep hearing very negative comments about Rudolph, not just here but the NFL network, ESPN, etc. "Looks like a career backup," "Hesitant," "Not a QB you want to rely on late in the game," etc.

Huh. So I thought I might compare a couple of QB's from the 2018 draft:

QB 1: 7 starts, 63% completion, 1650 yards, 11 TD's, 5 Int., 7.7 YPA, 94.1 QB Rating
QB 2: 4 starts, 62% completion, 817 yards, 5 TD's, 8 Int., 6.1 YPA, 66.2 QB Rating
QB 3: 4 starts, 64% completion, 897 yards, 9 TD's, 3 Int., 6.9 YPA, 97.5 QB Rating

Huhh. Lookee there. The "career backup" and "not the guy you want late in a game" seems to be, oh, I don't know, OUTPLAYING TWO SUPPOSED "FRANCHISE" QB's WHO NEED TO WIPE ANNOUNCER SALIVA OFF THEIR PECKERS - Lamar "Interception" Jackson and Sam "I Suck but am so Franchisee" Darnold.

"Oh, but Jackson is such a good runner ..." Oh, **** that. He is a QB, not a running back. He had an amazing first week, but since then? 6 games, 1326 yards (220 yards per game), 6 TD's, 5 Int., 80.8 QB rating. Darn good ... for a QB in 1972 or a running back.

Well, I like the kid. But hell yes at times he is very hesitant and looks very stiff...

They never let poor Rudolph play in any reindeer games.

giphy.gif

Other than the 1st quarter against Miami, Rudolph has played well and has continued to improve. He threw the ball all over the field against Miami. If he keeps improving as it looks he will, he still has tremendous upside. People whining about him are just that, whiners.

Other than the 1st quarter against Miami, Rudolph has played well and has continued to improve. He threw the ball all over the field against Miami. If he keeps improving as it looks he will, he still has tremendous upside. People whining about him are just that, whiners.

f7FdEdG.jpg

Yep. Rudolph had not played in 3 weeks, the last time he was on a football field he had been literally knocked out for several minutes, and he starts poorly. Wow, what a shock.

I remember when I tore up my knee skiing, had surgery, months of rehab, the next time on the slopes, WOOT!! Double black diamond and tearing it up!!

Okay, so I was careful as **** for the first 2 runs. Very concerned about going through that **** again. I guess Mason Rudolph should have had no concerns, no ghosts to confront and defeat? Or maybe he needed to get the **** out of his system and then be who he is - a guy with some okay mobility, a good arm, makes good decisions, and gets 1st downs.

Next game is going to be a tremendous test. Conner hurt, two linemen hurt, Rudolph likely the key to the offense against a pretty good defense. I think Rudolph makes a statement this game.

Finally, you want to see how good Lamar Jackson is? He played a good defense in the Steelers and was owned. Seriously, 19-28, 161 yards, 5.75 YPA, 1 TD, 3 picks. Let's see how he does against another good defense this Sunday.

I have supported the guy from the start and I did get frustrated in the Miami game thread in the first half. But it was a game thread where the worst of can come out. The guy shows promise, but he has to let it rip so to speak. I think he really started doing that in the second half of the Miami game and it started to show. That is what frustrated me most I think...the tentativeness. Just let it rip. When he does, he does really well. I want nothing more than for the guy to succeed.

I have supported the guy from the start and I did get frustrated in the Miami game thread in the first half. But it was a game thread where the worst of can come out. The guy shows promise, but he has to let it rip so to speak. I think he really started doing that in the second half of the Miami game and it started to show. That is what frustrated me most I think...the tentativeness. Just let it rip. When he does, he does really well. I want nothing more than for the guy to succeed.

I agree with this with one additional possible factor....I think that the game plan has been fashioned to favor the dink and dunk passes to keep it conservative and "safe". They are starting to let him go down the field more and I believe it will only get better from here on out.

f7FdEdG.jpg

Yep. Rudolph had not played in 3 weeks, the last time he was on a football field he had been literally knocked out for several minutes, and he starts poorly. Wow, what a shock.

I remember when I tore up my knee skiing, had surgery, months of rehab, the next time on the slopes, WOOT!! Double black diamond and tearing it up!!

Okay, so I was careful as **** for the first 2 runs. Very concerned about going through that **** again. I guess Mason Rudolph should have had no concerns, no ghosts to confront and defeat? Or maybe he needed to get the **** out of his system and then be who he is - a guy with some okay mobility, a good arm, makes good decisions, and gets 1st downs.

Next game is going to be a tremendous test. Conner hurt, two linemen hurt, Rudolph likely the key to the offense against a pretty good defense. I think Rudolph makes a statement this game.

Finally, you want to see how good Lamar Jackson is? He played a good defense in the Steelers and was owned. Seriously, 19-28, 161 yards, 5.75 YPA, 1 TD, 3 picks. Let's see how he does against another good defense this Sunday.
I would imagine one of those two hurt linemen (Pouncey) will play as he played after his injury against the fins.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

I think a little more time practicing his timing with his receivers. He did throw behind his receivers a couple of times. But all that can be fixed with a little more timing practice.

Yeah. Mason is getting better.
He starts jittery. Settles. Let him sling it and the yards will come.

Geez! Rudolph will be just fine. We have nine games left and if he stays healthy and as the receivers become more and more in sync with him, his numbers will start to look much better. They look good now but as he gains more confidence the hesitation will cease and the comfort level will increase.
He could potentially put up 3000 to 3500 yards with 25 TDs which wouldn’t be too damn bad for a guy who had never taken a snap until 8 weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

I like Rudolph and think people are way too hard on him here. He seems better than Jones or Dobbs were. The biggest thing that concerns me is him arm seems weak. Could be mechanics or nerves, but if he is going to be the long term answer i think he will need a little more zip

Rudolph will be fine..no one will laugh and call him names.

That's what happens to QB's in Cleveland.

Last edited:
I was going bonkers early in the Miami game,but I came to realize Mason has a starting career 4 games long.

Compare his production against any qb 24 or under and really only watson and mahones outplayed him thus far...both of them are much more experienced and play for qb gurus...

Look he absolutely has started slow in his games... but again he has had 4 nfl starts to his name... also we saw tge exact same thing with duck so it’s possible that the staff has them over cautious or perhaps they don’t do a good job of breaking down and prepping for a D... in any case he is seventh in the nfl in second half QB rating and 4th in 4th quarter passing... thats top 5 in the league despite playing half his second half appearances against good defenses in Seattle and san fran both in close games...

I have no doubt his deep ball accuracy is going to get better...his ability to hit deep passes in college was superb... and his arm was graded mostly above average but with room for improvement... he can absolutely add strength to his frame... plus, as with ben, his footwork will improve with experience and coaching...

He is polarizing... its like some of the scouting reports said about him... scouts who loved him thought the world of him and saw a first round talent with high upside if coached up... scouts who got hung up on his flaws hated him and ranked him low because of all the other qbs coming out... they felt like he was more of a project.... if he manages to stay on the trajectory he is currently on , he will be fine....

I am perfectly pleased with his progress so far... you aren’t often getting a super bowl worthy qb right out of the box... some guys are ready early but most need adequate time to catch on... he isn’t making dumb throws... he isn’t getting rattled in the pocket... he gets better as the game goes on...

I also think as the wr corps earns his trust and as the coaches let him audible more we will see more deep stuff... at worse i think he will be a high end backup... but he legit could be more

He is our backup for 2 more years. After that I think he will be ready to take over. Thats all we can be concerned with at this point. That’s all we need to be worried about.

when rudolph threw that pass behind the LOS to Nix backed against our own goal line I was like "oh crap we are toast this game!" and then heard the booing in the stadium and I repeated to myself "oh crap Rudolph is toast in Pittsburgh, no way he gets out of this pressing situation". It was a great surprise to see the kid keep his bearings and get out of that hole. It shows huge mental toughness and that's A Must for any succesful QB, with that and intelligence he can become a very good player and leader for the Steelers.

He is our backup for 2 more years. After that I think he will be ready to take over. Thats all we can be concerned with at this point. That’s all we need to be worried about.

And thats the other thing... barring his arm not healing right, ben is obviously going to be the guy for at least two more seasons... we are just getting an early look at what he has to work on this season

Heck if they did think he isn’t the guy but he continues to have low interceptions and a couple tds a game he would be really valuable as a trade bit...

With all the RB injuries, i hope Rudolph plays well with his misfit toys