• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Negative comments about Mason Rudolph

He has an average arm, alot of air under his passes, does well when guys are open like they were in College, hesitates and struggles when guys are "NFL" open.

I'm going to go out on a limb but I predict he'll have good and bad games, throw amazing passes, some for touchdowns, and he'll throw poorly timed interceptions, some for touchdowns.

Are you talking about BEN next year or Mason this year?

Salute the nation

He has an average arm, alot of air under his passes, does well when guys are open like they were in College, hesitates and struggles when guys are "NFL" open.

He also is a second year qb and first year starter... those knocks rig true of almost every qb early on... hell those were the knocks on brees after three seasons so the chargers drafted rivers instead... then it clicked...

It works in reverse too... qbs have a magnificent rookie or first year starting then regress. People were all calling mayfield a future franchise guy and he looks horrid this year... heck a ton of browns qbs were better early than later...people start screaming about what a qb is going to be way too early is a staple of nfl fandom... rg3 was going to change the league... Brees was a bust... brady and ben were just game managers... it’s exactly why it is too early to judge any of this... nfl qbs need years to really reach their potential... GB did it right with Rodgers...

He also is a second year qb and first year starter... those knocks rig true of almost every qb early on... hell those were the knocks on brees after three seasons so the chargers drafted rivers instead... then it clicked.....

Brees played 5 seasons in SD. He was a pro-bowler his 4th season. When he left the chargers he had 80 TD passes and over 12,000 yards passing. He was let go because he got hurt.

He also is a second year qb and first year starter... those knocks rig true of almost every qb early on... hell those were the knocks on brees after three seasons so the chargers drafted rivers instead... then it clicked...

It works in reverse too... qbs have a magnificent rookie or first year starting then regress. People were all calling mayfield a future franchise guy and he looks horrid this year... heck a ton of browns qbs were better early than later...people start screaming about what a qb is going to be way too early is a staple of nfl fandom... rg3 was going to change the league... Brees was a bust... brady and ben were just game managers... it’s exactly why it is too early to judge any of this... nfl qbs need years to really reach their potential... GB did it right with Rodgers...

Ben was never a game manager, he made big time throws as a rookie.

I don't think anyone is saying he's a bust, well I'm sure some people are. I'm just stating what I see. I didn't say this is what he was going to be the rest of his career. As for Brees, he didn't start to really establish himself as a top of the line QB until the NFL went pass happy, but he had some good years in SD, he had an injury and SD thought Rivers was a better option.
Steve Young and Brett Favre were traded also.

Chances are Mason Rudolph will be the next franchise QB for the Steelers and most definitely through the 2019-20 season. Ben Roethlisberger has made his intentions clear but it’s not next year and as they say: “time will tell”.
Haters gonna hate, that’s a given. As long as Mason Rudolph progresses and the Steelers surround him with capable talent, he should do well.
As I recall, Ben Roethlisberger was a rookie backup to Tommy Maddox? Rudolph and Roethlisberger are two different style QB’s. My only concern is although BR spent a few years with Coach Cowher and his reluctance to embrace some of HCMT’s “gut feelings “ is well documented, I hope those same “Tomlinson’s” don’t ruin a potential stand out talent!

as bad as dobbs was he was much better than jones who could not plant his feat and was constantly throwing off his back foot.

As long as he drops and throws at the end of his drop, he's been successful. When he drops and has to think through progressions, he's struggled. Passes have been behind guys and under thrown pretty consistently when he's not releasing on his drop. He's also failed to recognize his RB check down receiver when throwing these poorly thrown balls.

He's not Ben. He needs to get rid of the ball quickly and as he learns to better read defenses he can go through multiple progressions.

All that said, he's not terrible. I'm not saying he can't win games for us. Its interesting to see him learn on the job. This is the reality we face when Ben ultimately retires.

Chances are Mason Rudolph will be the next franchise QB for the Steelers and most definitely through the 2019-20 season. Ben Roethlisberger has made his intentions clear but it’s not next year and as they say: “time will tell”.
Haters gonna hate, that’s a given. As long as Mason Rudolph progresses and the Steelers surround him with capable talent, he should do well.
As I recall, Ben Roethlisberger was a rookie backup to Tommy Maddox? Rudolph and Roethlisberger are two different style QB’s. My only concern is although BR spent a few years with Coach Cowher and his reluctance to embrace some of HCMT’s “gut feelings “ is well documented, I hope those same “Tomlinson’s” don’t ruin a potential stand out talent!

Ben was the back up, but he was a rookie when he took over, Rudolph has had two full off seasons in this offense, one full season learning behind Ben. They had a 1st round grade on him, no reason to be treating him with kid gloves.

Ben was the back up, but he was a rookie when he took over, Rudolph has had two full off seasons in this offense, one full season learning behind Ben. They had a 1st round grade on him, no reason to be treating him with kid gloves.

Maddox got hurt in the 2nd game as well. Ben played most of that game against the rats. He didn't have the luxury of sitting for a season. Ben had a 66.4% comp. with 17 TDs. He also had 5 game winning drives (the most in his career). Ben is a difference maker at QB and always has been. Like you said, Rudolph has had 1 season to sit and 2 full off seasons. But he is not Ben.

I have no idea what Mason Rudolph is. They are mostly protecting him and trying not to overexpose him. Much like they did with Ben in his Rookie season. I do know this. He has an almost 97 QBR and Baker Mayfield with his number one overall draft and all the weapons they grabbed is sub 70. Enough said.

I have no idea what Mason Rudolph is. They are mostly protecting him and trying not to overexpose him. Much like they did with Ben in his Rookie season. I do know this. He has an almost 97 QBR and Baker Mayfield with his number one overall draft and all the weapons they grabbed is sub 70. Enough said.

We don't know what Mayfield is either. He has a dumb as a rock HC and a sieve for an OL. If you put Rudolph in the clowns system do you really think he is going to play like he has here?

This is why I talk about how the NFL only has a handful of teams every year that can win the SB. Ownership plays a large role in this. The clowns and bungles are ran horribly. They have no chance and haven't been relevant in decades. Any player that goes there is going to struggle.

They didn't protect Ben much as a rookie, He came in mid way through the 3rd quarter at Baltimore and the best defense in football and threw the ball 20 times still. His yards per attempt that year was 9. 4 fourth quarter come backs, and 5 game winning drives. I think some people need to go back watch the 2004 highlights again.

Mason gives us the best chance to win in 2019. Everyone except coach can agree to that correct?

He started out very shaky Monday night. After a couple of hits and (that 3rd and 20 touchdown) he picked up his game speed and confidence. Granted it was the Dolphins- he needed that turn around and it should carry over to this Sunday. He should be able to manage the Colts D well. I like that he creates 3rd and manageable to keep drives alive. This is exactly what Brady does. I don’t expect MR to light it up- just play smart football....and be used properly

They didn't protect Ben much as a rookie, He came in mid way through the 3rd quarter at Baltimore and the best defense in football and threw the ball 20 times still. His yards per attempt that year was 9. 4 fourth quarter come backs, and 5 game winning drives. I think some people need to go back watch the 2004 highlights again.

2004 Pittsburgh Steelers 14 295 196 66.4 21.1 2,621 8.9 187.2 17 5.8 11 3.7 58 43 7 30 213 98.1

I don't know that is about 3/5 the attempts he had about two years later and just over half the yards of his big seasons. Call it what you like, but I bet that stat line looks very familiar by Rudolph's season end.

Ben is a pretty rare qb... at the time it was unheard of for a first year qb to have his success... russel Wilson was another wonderkind... but even there Ben had boatloads to learn about footwork, adjusting reads, everything...
i just think if you go back and watch some of the better qbs in their rookie season s you see flaws out the wazoo... and if you are like coach and you only want to go off their scouted perceived flaws or strengths, then go back and look at the great qbs of this era’s draft reports or early year scouting reports and you clearly see a lot of the things people are drilling Rudolph for....

A qb is rarely ready in his first few seasons... its how he adjust to “how the league adjusts to him” that really makes or breaks his career... and we won’t know that for years....

The thing about bens rookie season is that Cowher and whiz tried to play super conservative too but ben just stretched plays out and went deep anyhow... they tried to shelter him and he just wanted to run and gun... i kind of think thats where the friction between he and whiz came from

2004 Pittsburgh Steelers 14 295 196 66.4 21.1 2,621 8.9 187.2 17 5.8 11 3.7 58 43 7 30 213 98.1

I don't know that is about 3/5 the attempts he had about two years later and just over half the yards of his big seasons. Call it what you like, but I bet that stat line looks very familiar by Rudolph's season end.

Maybe, but it wasn't the passing league then like it is now, it was rare for a QB to have his success so quickly, now it's happening more and more, young QB's having early success.

The thing about bens rookie season is that Cowher and whiz tried to play super conservative too but ben just stretched plays out and went deep anyhow... they tried to shelter him and he just wanted to run and gun... i kind of think thats where the friction between he and whiz came from

Shelter him? they weren't calling 17 straight bubble screens, they weren't calling 15 dump offs to the RB. Rudolph has had guys to throw to downfield, he just won't do it alot of times.

Maybe, but it wasn't the passing league then like it is now, it was rare for a QB to have his success so quickly, now it's happening more and more, young QB's having early success.

Big Ben made key plays with his arm, legs and a combination of both that season. They also had a good run game and a stellar defense. They limited Ben's exposure in much the same way Rudolph is protected this year.

Ben is a pretty rare qb... at the time it was unheard of for a first year qb to have his success... russel Wilson was another wonderkind... but even there Ben had boatloads to learn about footwork, adjusting reads, everything...
i just think if you go back and watch some of the better qbs in their rookie season s you see flaws out the wazoo... and if you are like coach and you only want to go off their scouted perceived flaws or strengths, then go back and look at the great qbs of this era’s draft reports or early year scouting reports and you clearly see a lot of the things people are drilling Rudolph for....

A qb is rarely ready in his first few seasons... its how he adjust to “how the league adjusts to him” that really makes or breaks his career... and we won’t know that for years....

Im going by what I see, yes Ben is a rare QB, but everyone brings him up when trying to justify anything Mason does wrong. Ben did this, the coaches did that for Ben, etc, etc.

Simple for me.
2004 Ben, big arm, confidence to throw it into tight windows, stronger in the pocket, alot less air under his deep balls, can throw great on the run
2019 Mason, average arm, not much confidence to throw into tight windows, Rudolph slides around nice in the pocket, but gets happy feet a little to quick, has to put more air under his deep ball.

IMO from just the eye test, there's not much comparison, that's not to say Mason won't get better and better.

Quoting Gerry Dulac, I think he summed it up quite well in his chat:

"I'm not sure why all the complains about Rudolph. For a guy who had never appeared, much less started, in an NFL before Week 2, I think he's been efficiently good. He's completing 64 percent of his passes, averages 6.9 yards per attempt (same as Carson Wentz and Jacoby Brissett and better than Daniel Jones) and has nine TDs compared to three interceptions. His passer rating of 97.5 is better than Tom Brady, Philip Rivers and Jared Goff. I'm not sure what people expect."

He's no Baker Mayfield.