• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Negative comments about Mason Rudolph

I don't know that is about 3/5 the attempts he had about two years later and just over half the yards of his big seasons. Call it what you like, but I bet that stat line [Roethlisberger's rookie season] looks very familiar by Rudolph's season end.

To match that production in the next 9 games, Rudolph would need to throw for 1,724 yards (192 per game), 8 TD's, 8 interceptions. Rudolph is going to have much better stats, without a future HOF running back, a future HOF WR in his prime, a second WR who was quite good before shooting himself, and one of the better offensive lines in the last 20 years.

Facts.

Shelter him? they weren't calling 17 straight bubble screens, they weren't calling 15 dump offs to the RB. Rudolph has had guys to throw to downfield, he just won't do it alot of times.

You must be watching different games.

Quoting Gerry Dulac, I think he summed it up quite well in his chat:

"I'm not sure why all the complains about Rudolph. For a guy who had never appeared, much less started, in an NFL before Week 2, I think he's been efficiently good. He's completing 64 percent of his passes, averages 6.9 yards per attempt (same as Carson Wentz and Jacoby Brissett and better than Daniel Jones) and has nine TDs compared to three interceptions. His passer rating of 97.5 is better than Tom Brady, Philip Rivers and Jared Goff. I'm not sure what people expect."

I mean we aren’t allowed to compare him to any of the established hof type qbs cause apparently this era is too different, but then when you compare him to guys starting for the first time it isn’t good because all of them are a year or two younger.. and if you look at everyone his age or younger that still apparently doesn’t paint the right picture

Its like with Ben holding on to the ball too long... it was effective and won us a lot of games when he was younger and not so quick to read defenses... but a lot of people hated him because he wasn’t what they wanted him to be right out of the gate...

I think Rudolph is doing fine for his experience. I think if he continues to gain confidence and does what he does in second halves of games all game long he will be fine...

His footwork and reads will get better... there was a reason that DLBs defense ate rookie and first year starters alive... they don’t teach you that level of reading defensive coverage schemes in college...

He will gain trust in the wr corps... he will be fine...

That still doesn’t mean he is going to be a franchise qb or anything... but guys like coach already trying to write him off are probably going to be disappointed...

Shelter him? they weren't calling 17 straight bubble screens, they weren't calling 15 dump offs to the RB. Rudolph has had guys to throw to downfield, he just won't do it alot of times.

if memory serves me correctly (and it may not), there was something about Steelers "cutting the field in half" to limit Ben's reads his first few games. I seem to recall that was a left right split of the field so he could read long, medium, short routes on one side of the field only.

To match that production in the next 9 games, Rudolph would need to throw for 1,724 yards (192 per game), 8 TD's, 8 interceptions. Rudolph is going to have much better stats, without a future HOF running back, a future HOF WR in his prime, a second WR who was quite good before shooting himself, and one of the better offensive lines in the last 20 years.

Facts.

Again, it wasn't a passing league then either. Damn, who knew we have a guy that's better than Brady, Manning, Brees, Ben, is that what you're saying? Mayfield is better than them all too, hell there's a good chance Rudolph doesn't match what Mayfield did last year, I guess that means Mayfield is better.

I remember that as well, Hoot.

if memory serves me correctly (and it may not), there was something about Steelers "cutting the field in half" to limit Ben's reads his first few games. I seem to recall that was a left right split of the field so he could read long, medium, short routes on one side of the field only.

Hmmm I don't know maybe, but if memory serves me right, his first TD was to EL at Baltimore, to our left side, next TD to Ward over the middle, then in Miami his next TD pass was to the right pylon, so his first 3 TD passes were left, Middle, Right.

Hmmm I don't know maybe, but if memory serves me right, his first TD was to EL at Baltimore, to our left side, next TD to Ward over the middle, then in Miami his next TD pass was to the right pylon, so his first 3 TD passes were left, Middle, Right.

IIRC the split and read was on a per play basis. It didn't mean he only went left or only went right all the time, but that on any given play he was only supposed to read one side of the field.

Keep in mind, this is something one of the coachs said. We are talking about one of the greatest improv QB's of all times. Just because he was told to read one side of the field only doesn't mean he listened. LOL.

Of course, this going down memory lane. I wouldn't advocate any one thing for young Mason because he is a different person than Ben. Have to find out what works for MR.

We are talking about one of the greatest improv QB's of all times. Just because he was told to read one side of the field only doesn't mean he listened. LOL.

So true. Probably one of the things that caused so much friction between he and Whiz. "No. No no no Ben, don't do tha... Jesus Mary & Joseph, you believe that play he just made there?"

Again, it wasn't a passing league then either. Damn, who knew we have a guy that's better than Brady, Manning, Brees, Ben, is that what you're saying? Mayfield is better than them all too, hell there's a good chance Rudolph doesn't match what Mayfield did last year, I guess that means Mayfield is better.

There is literally no one saying that Rudolph is any one of those guys. I will only speak for myself when I say that they have handcuffs on Rudolph (rightfully so) similar to Ben in his first year. Win with the run game, defense and timely third down passing and staying ahead of the chains with short passes. As far as Mayfield goes, you can say what you want. He was a first overall pick, he had a ton of FA weapons handed to him and he is under 70 QBR. Sorry, you can polish that any way you want. Its still a turd.

Ben did have it pretty easy his first few seasons. They had a dominant run game and defense and he had Ward, El, and Miller as weapons. The play action got him lots of easy throws. He played great for what he was asked to do but it was not a wide open playbook.

at the time, the media did not give him enough credit. They just called him a game manager. It was more than that. The steelers gave him easier reads but the passing game was still aggressive. He wasn’t just drinking and dunking to love chains. He made tons of downfield plays.

Rudolph has a tougher job than Ben had. The OL is up and down. The run game is inconsistent. Ben was surrounded by mostly veterans. Rudolph has JuJu who is great but still young himself. He also has Johnson and Washington who are still learning.

Ben did have it pretty easy his first few seasons. They had a dominant run game and defense and he had Ward, El, and Miller as weapons. The play action got him lots of easy throws. He played great for what he was asked to do but it was not a wide open playbook.

at the time, the media did not give him enough credit. They just called him a game manager. It was more than that. The steelers gave him easier reads but the passing game was still aggressive. He wasn’t just drinking and dunking to love chains. He made tons of downfield plays.

Rudolph has a tougher job than Ben had. The OL is up and down. The run game is inconsistent. Ben was surrounded by mostly veterans. Rudolph has JuJu who is great but still young himself. He also has Johnson and Washington who are still learning.

sounds like some wacky stuff to do

let's remember too that the great OL that Ben had didn't last long, then Colon, Kemo and the rest of the bad news bears had to man those positions and yet Ben almost beat Green Bay in the SB despite them.

My only point on this post is that Ben is a great QB and is unfair to compare Rudolph to him either. The kid has some great numbers for a guy in his 2nd season after a red shirted rookie year.

Again, it wasn't a passing league then either. Damn, who knew we have a guy that's better than Brady, Manning, Brees, Ben, is that what you're saying?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying, verbatim. For some ******* reason, when I re-read my posts on this thread I see nothing actually saying that, or anything remotely like that, or anything in the same universe as that so thank you for discerning what I was trying to say and helping me convey the message.

Funny how bent out of shape some get when you say he's not as good as your HOF QB was as a rookie.

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Reactions: GMC
2004 Pittsburgh Steelers 14 295 196 66.4 21.1 2,621 8.9 187.2 17 5.8 11 3.7 58 43 7 30 213 98.1

I don't know that is about 3/5 the attempts he had about two years later and just over half the yards of his big seasons. Call it what you like, but I bet that stat line looks very familiar by Rudolph's season end.

Facts.

Yes Ben was surrounded with talent and the rookie went undefeated all the way to the AFCCG with them. I don't care how many yds, tds or ints Mason has, he won't come close to matching Ben's first season. Looking at Mason so far, he looks like he's going to be good. Looking at Ben at the same point in his career you could see he was going to be great.

Last edited:
It was pretty unbelievable and rare to watch Ben's first season and beyond. I'm not comparing them at all. Different teams, coaches, NFL, etc. I guess that reminds me of people who at first anyway argued that Ben would be no TB. Hell, TB was one of my heroes. I didn't try to compare them either. Different teams, coaches, NFL...they are all unique in their own styles and abilities. All I know I've been on board with all three of them from the start! I remember Terry getting booed, people who bitched and moaned about the gunslinger and now the over-the-top expectations of Mason. Steeler fans. Jeez.

Mason, at this point, is on par.

stat wise maybe, because it's a passing league now, the rules are geared towards more points, more yards, etc.
The eye test, he's not close.

Yes Ben was surrounded with talent and the rookie went undefeated all the way to the AFCCG with them. I don't care how many yds, tds or ints Mason has, he won't come close to matching Ben's first season. Looking at Mason so far, he looks like he's going to be good. Looking at Ben at the same point in his career you could see he was going to be great.

Exactly, and people take that as bashing Rudolph, when it's not.