• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

New Steelers QB Russell Wilson Believes He Will Be The Starter In Pittsburgh: "He's Ultra Confident In His Abilities"

kenny played hurt most of the season! No one and I mean no one stuck up for Pickett on that coaching staff!! Why is no one calling Harris a bust? Why aren’t they trading him off for scrap prices? When you ignore the obvious problems on the coaching staff then start trading young players for old has beens to pump ur win total you become a team like the jets! A clown show!! You watch as soon as the blocking breaks down, and it will we know that, Wilson will revert to chucking and ducking! hof coach read him the riot act on national tv then benched him! Then cut him! He’s signing for a million bucks the water boy makes that! And were putting all our eggs in his basket! Took coach Noll 7 years to develop terry! To say they gave Kenny a fair shake is total bs! fields simply can’t qb! He runs around making things interest but he suks. This problem with fields, he’s a coach killer on a team that’s afraid to fire its coach! Nightmare scenario developing. And I don’t think they are done I think they are going to draft the qb out of Washington! He’ll be around at 20… how do you pass on him with this mess in front of him?

Last edited:
Reactions: xjx
kenny played hurt most of the season! No one and I mean no one stuck up for Pickett on that coaching staff!! Why is no one calling Harris a bust? Why aren’t they trading him off for scrap prices? When you ignore the obvious problems on the coaching staff then start trade young players for old has beens to pump ur win total you become a team like the jets! A clown show!!
Najee isn't a bust, but did you not see how many wanted Warren to start over Harris? Harris has continually been called out while with the Steelers.

kenny played hurt most of the season! No one and I mean no one stuck up for Pickett on that coaching staff!! Why is no one calling Harris a bust? Why aren’t they trading him off for scrap prices? When you ignore the obvious problems on the coaching staff then start trading young players for old has beens to pump ur win total you become a team like the jets! A clown show!! You watch as soon as the blocking breaks down, and it will we know that, Wilson will revert to chucking and ducking! hof coach read him the riot act on national tv then benched him! Then cut him! He’s signing for a million bucks the water boy makes that! And were putting all our eggs in his basket! Took coach Noll 7 years to develop terry! To say they gave Kenny a fair shake is total bs! fields simply can’t qb! He runs around making things interest but he suks. This problem with fields, he’s a coach killer on a team that’s afraid to fire its coach! Nightmare scenario developing. And I don’t think they are done I think they are going to draft the qb out of Washington! He’ll be around at 20… how do you pass on him with this mess in front of him?
Najee is not a bust. Dude has not had blocking most of his time here. When he gets a crease he is all downhill punishing,tossing, and carrying fools along the way. He's not the fastest guy yeah he's not Marshawn Lynch but he is more than good enough.

Most yards after contact in the league. Sometimes it looked like he was the only one playing hard.

He’s signing for a million bucks the water boy makes that!
Actually, Russ is making 39 million bucks this year. He signed with the Steelers for $1.21 million because that is the minimum salary allowed for a player with his experience. Denver is paying the difference. So it was a given he'd sign for the smallest possible amount to give his new team maximum leverage with their salary cap.

Actually, Russ is making 39 million bucks this year. He signed with the Steelers for $1.21 million because that is the minimum salary allowed for a player with his experience. Denver is paying the difference. So it was a given he'd sign for the smallest possible amount to give his new team maximum leverage with their salary cap.
I dont believe thats how guaranteed money works for players... it is for coaches, in some cases... but Denver cutting him meant they had to pay him the full amount on that contract as soon as nobody picked it up... we could have paid him more, but he was more interested in the path to starting rather than making more bank... had we paid him 10 million, I dont think the broncos get to keep ten million dollars.. they owe him that contract regardless...

***With coached that get fired, the team relieves them of duties but their contracts are different. Teams sometimes have clauses in there saying if they are relieved of duty and opt to take another job in the nfl within the duration of the contract, they can do that, but the team is absolved of paying their remaining contract, except any difference in pay..,

Its why cliff kingsbury opted to sit out a while after being fired from the Cards.. ots all weird and each can be a little different.

Last edited:
I dont believe thats how guaranteed money works for players... it is for coaches, in some cases... but Denver cutting him meant they had to pay him the full amount on that contract as soon as nobody picked it up... we could have paid him more, but he was more interested in the path to starting rather than making more bank... had we paid him 10 million, I dont think the broncos get to keep ten million dollars.. they owe him that contract regardless...
According to an Associated Press article from 3/4/24 on the CPR (Colorado Public Radio) website:

"The Broncos still owe Wilson his $39 million salary for 2024 minus whatever he'd sign for with another team, which would likely be the veteran's minimum salary of $1.21 million."

Same thing was also reported on Bleacher Report and other sources.

According to an Associated Press article from 3/4/24 on the CPR (Colorado Public Radio) website:

"The Broncos still owe Wilson his $39 million salary for 2024 minus whatever he'd sign for with another team, which would likely be the veteran's minimum salary of $1.21 million."

Same thing was also reported on Bleacher Report and other sources.
I could be wrong, but I cannot find any precedent for that in player deals and the various cap sites are still listing Denver with the same cap hit for cutting him...

Maybe cap hit stays the same but they don't have to physically pay him that dough? Idk, like i said there really isnt anything to go on... none of the sites explaining CBA intricacies cover it, and the vast majority of guys with guaranteed cash get traded rather than released

I could be wrong, but I cannot find any precedent for that in player deals and the various cap sites are still listing Denver with the same cap hit for cutting him...

Maybe cap hit stays the same but they don't have to physically pay him that dough? Idk, like i said there really isnt anything to go on... none of the sites explaining CBA intricacies cover it, and the vast majority of guys with guaranteed cash get traded rather than released
Seems pretty clear-cut to me. From cbssports.com:

"According to ESPN.com, Wilson's new contract will pay him the league minimum of $1.21 million for the 2024 season, which is a bargain-basement price for a BACKUP quarterback in the NFL, let alone someone who might end up starting for your team.

To put Wilson's salary in perspective, just consider this: Backup quarterbacks like Nick Mullens ($1.72 million), Cooper Rush ($2.25 million) and Mike White ($3.5 million) are all scheduled to make more money than Wilson in 2024. Kenny Pickett, who will now be competing with Wilson for the starting QB job in Pittsburgh, will also make more thanks to his salary of $1.98 million.

Although Wilson struggled during his two seasons with the Broncos, he's still a nine-time Pro Bowler who could have commanded more on the open market in free agency, but instead, he settled for the league minimum.

So why did he do it? The answer has everything to do with something called "offsets."

If a team still owes you money when it cuts you, it has to pay you that money, but if you sign with another team, the amount you sign for is subtracted from what your old teams owes you.

In Wilson's case, when the Broncos made the decision to cut him on March 4, they knew they were going to have to pay him $39 million in 2024 even though he wasn't going to be on the team, so Wilson knew he was going to be paid nearly $40 million for the upcoming season no matter what he did. If he had decided to sit out the 2024 season, the Broncos would have still been on the hook for the full $39 million.

Since the Steelers are paying Wilson $1.21 million, that cuts down on Denver's obligations to Wilson, so now, the Broncos will only owe him $37.79 million for the upcoming season. If Wilson had signed a $25 million contract with the Steelers, then the Broncos would have only had to pay him $14 million."

Seems pretty clear-cut to me. From cbssports.com:

"According to ESPN.com, Wilson's new contract will pay him the league minimum of $1.21 million for the 2024 season, which is a bargain-basement price for a BACKUP quarterback in the NFL, let alone someone who might end up starting for your team.

To put Wilson's salary in perspective, just consider this: Backup quarterbacks like Nick Mullens ($1.72 million), Cooper Rush ($2.25 million) and Mike White ($3.5 million) are all scheduled to make more money than Wilson in 2024. Kenny Pickett, who will now be competing with Wilson for the starting QB job in Pittsburgh, will also make more thanks to his salary of $1.98 million.

Although Wilson struggled during his two seasons with the Broncos, he's still a nine-time Pro Bowler who could have commanded more on the open market in free agency, but instead, he settled for the league minimum.

So why did he do it? The answer has everything to do with something called "offsets."

If a team still owes you money when it cuts you, it has to pay you that money, but if you sign with another team, the amount you sign for is subtracted from what your old teams owes you.

In Wilson's case, when the Broncos made the decision to cut him on March 4, they knew they were going to have to pay him $39 million in 2024 even though he wasn't going to be on the team, so Wilson knew he was going to be paid nearly $40 million for the upcoming season no matter what he did. If he had decided to sit out the 2024 season, the Broncos would have still been on the hook for the full $39 million.

Since the Steelers are paying Wilson $1.21 million, that cuts down on Denver's obligations to Wilson, so now, the Broncos will only owe him $37.79 million for the upcoming season. If Wilson had signed a $25 million contract with the Steelers, then the Broncos would have only had to pay him $14 million."
Nice... now I know... and knowing is half the battle...

Nice... now I know... and knowing is half the battle...
This is precisely why everyone wants the guaranteed money. Wasn’t that long ago when it was not normal.
Also one of the big reasons Denver cut Wilson at this time was they would have also been on the hook for this annual salary in 2025 if he would have been on Denver’s roster at a certain date in 2024. I’ll have to find the date. Cutting him saved one of the two seasons he would have made that ****-pile of dough.

This is precisely why everyone wants the guaranteed money. Wasn’t that long ago when it was not normal.
Also one of the big reasons Denver cut Wilson at this time was they would have also been on the hook for this annual salary in 2025 if he would have been on Denver’s roster at a certain date in 2024. I’ll have to find the date. Cutting him saved one of the two seasons he would have made that ****-pile of dough.
It was 4 days after the start of the new league year... that I knew... he was going to be guaranteed another 40 million or so...

The only thing I didnt know was they were putting that offset clause in players contracts.. it used to only be in some coach contracts... guess its boilerplate now

It was 4 days after the start of the new league year... that I knew... he was going to be guaranteed another 40 million or so...

The only thing I didnt know was they were putting that offset clause in players contracts.. it used to only be in some coach contracts... guess its boilerplate now
I think the reason the offset was there was because the $39m is being paid for a period when he is with another team (i.e. salary in advance for which Denver will never get the benefit of his services). Normally when a player is cut they aren't still getting paid their next season's salary from the team that cuts them. The dead money is generally the result of past payments that were amortised over a players contract for cap purposes only. If the dead money relates solely to services already performed by the player in previous years then the team releasing him can't claw it back.

That's the reason why coaching staff also have similar clauses - if they are fired before the end of their contracts, they generally get paid for the remainder of the contract period even though they won't be working for the team. If they are going to earn income in the same time period their previous employer is paying them for, it is reasonable for an offset to be made.

For some reason he was run out of Denver and they paid a healthy chunk of salary to get him away from their locker room. We'll see what happens, I hope it works out.

That part sticks with me. They're paying 38 million for the guy to play on another team. And they gave up two first round,two second round and a fifth rounder, just to get Wilson.

That's just completely insane. Who the hell is running Denver?

Thank goodness the Steelers are only on the hook for 1.2 million. Then you have Fields. Who has talent, but needs A LOT of work or maybe it was just the team.

A lot of unstable dysfunctional franchises in the league.

Then they sign Queen to some nice coin. Just way out of the ho hum normal offseason for the Steelers.

Reactions: JMM
I had no thought process that Russ was going to be the Steelers QB. Never liked him. But now all of a sudden I do. Go Russ!!!

Well he's the qb of the team now.So pray for the best.I didn't want either guy they picked up, but now that they're on the team. Let's go!

That part sticks with me. They're paying 38 million for the guy to play on another team. And they gave up two first round,two second round and a fifth rounder, just to get Wilson.

That's just completely insane. Who the hell is running Denver?

Thank goodness the Steelers are only on the hook for 1.2 million. Then you have Fields. Who has talent, but needs A LOT of work or maybe it was just the team.

A lot of unstable dysfunctional franchises in the league.

Then they sign Queen to some nice coin. Just way out of the ho hum normal offseason for the Steelers.
Who is running Denver? Payton is...the owners are the Walton family...yes, Wal Mart Walton. They don't know football from their A-hole.

Payton had to get rid of Russ, Russ does not fit his offense. He'll save almost 40 million on his 2025 cap hit by getting rid of Wilson. He used Wilson as the blame scapegoat for 2022 with Wilson injured and running an O that is not a fit for his strengths, but now it's make it or break it for Payton...and Russ for that matter.

Just like this might be Wilson's last hurrah, it could also be Payton's if he doesn't find the Drew Brees clone he's looking for to try and rebuild the past.

All the talking heads asking you" Why would they pay 40 mill. to get rid of Wilson?" are trying to stir the ****. Wilson is not the problem...Payton is.

One more point: Wilson could have gone somewhere else....he chose the Steelers because he wants to be here, and he wants to win. And of course was told he would start. If he had waited a bit longer though some team would have offered him a starting job. We are very, very lucky.

Who is running Denver? Payton is...the owners are the Walton family...yes, Wal Mart Walton. They don't know football from their A-hole.

Payton had to get rid of Russ, Russ does not fit his offense. He'll save almost 40 million on his 2025 cap hit by getting rid of Wilson. He used Wilson as the blame scapegoat for 2022 with Wilson injured and running an O that is not a fit for his strengths, but now it's make it or break it for Payton...and Russ for that matter.

Just like this might be Wilson's last hurrah, it could also be Payton's if he doesn't find the Drew Brees clone he's looking for to try and rebuild the past.

All the talking heads asking you" Why would they pay 40 mill. to get rid of Wilson?" are trying to stir the ****. Wilson is not the problem...Payton is.

One more point: Wilson could have gone somewhere else....he chose the Steelers because he wants to be here, and he wants to win. And of course was told he would start. If he had waited a bit longer though some team would have offered him a starting job. We are very, very lucky.
Oh,so they're run by idiots...lol. And they have a record amount of dead cap money from Russell. It's 75-85 million dead money.

Oh,so they're run by idiots...lol. And they have a record amount of dead cap money from Russell. It's 75-85 million dead money.
They are listening to Payton like he is the football oracle. They are going to be in for a rude awakening. Mind you this is what I'm reading from Colorado media and their fans.