• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

New Steelers QB Russell Wilson Believes He Will Be The Starter In Pittsburgh: "He's Ultra Confident In His Abilities"

As far as Schlareth goes when all the sports talking heads agree on something there is always 1 or 2 contrarians. If they are proved right they are sage men....if they are wrong, no worries on to the next story for them. Everyone is talking about what a great move this is for both Wilson and the Steelers. We are talking about a 2 time SB champion x9 Pro Bowler and people here act like Kordell Stewart came out of retirement and was given the starting job...LOL.

He's coming into the perfect situation with Smith's play action style and our running game.

Having said that, yeah it might not work out with him, anything can happen, but so little is lost money wise and whatever else(Kenny is not the guy, so doesn't matter how it affects him) it's a non factor. If he balls out it's one of the greatest Steelers/ NFL deals ever.
I think he is a has been and as much as I liked Ben he was as well the last year but the organization never prepared for when he would be through.
The year Ben got injured was the year to tank and get a QB in the 2020 draft but know, Shades out first round pick for Minkah. Guess he wanted to preserve the non losing bs record.

I stand corrected. I was thinking Ben and washed from previous post with Ben being 2 time champion. Still, dude could make a big come back and that would be a blessing for us no one expected coming out of 2023.
He may just do that. And I hope for Steelernation that he does. I just would have liked to see Kenny in a new system under a legit OC.
It’s not that I dislike Russell Wilson, on the contrary. I just wanted to see our first round QB get another shot but I guess Tomlin sees it differently.

I bet Wilson thinks he can start and why not? Last year our three QBs combined for an eye watering 13 TDs and 9 INTs (6 and 4 for Pickett). Wilson had 26 TDs and 8 INTs and was benched the last couple of games because the Broncos didn't want him to get hurt before they could cut him. Even bad Rus will help the team win more games. Maybe Pickett really gets motivated and wins the starting job and plays well next season. I hope so. If not, a one year vet minimum contract is worth the risk. Especially when comparing the other AFC North QBs.

Assuming the center and WR issues get fixed with decent players, I bet we win at least one playoff game with the potential to win more with Rus leading this team assuming he comes in and works hard with something to prove since his legacy is on the line. Not exactly Super Bowl expectations, but at least I feel a little more optimistic and you never know if the team comes together.

One you’re Tomlin’s guy, you’re Tomlin’s guy, and KP is Tomlin’s guy.

He's not a has been. Many wanted Ben back when it was obvious he truly was washed.....funny how that works. I wonder what Coach Cowher thinks.

McAFee and his "Yinzer" persona... whatever!

He grew up in Plum Borough....suburb of the Burgh.

He is a"paper" Yinzer....

Us bonafide Yinzers where born and raised IN the city of Pittsburgh!.
Those were the rich spoiled kids that us city boys used to steal their girlfriends off of!

Come on man!

I bet Wilson thinks he can start and why not? Last year our three QBs combined for an eye watering 13 TDs and 9 INTs (6 and 4 for Pickett). Wilson had 26 TDs and 8 INTs and was benched the last couple of games because the Broncos didn't want him to get hurt before they could cut him. Even bad Rus will help the team win more games. Maybe Pickett really gets motivated and wins the starting job and plays well next season. I hope so. If not, a one year vet minimum contract is worth the risk. Especially when comparing the other AFC North QBs.

Assuming the center and WR issues get fixed with decent players, I bet we win at least one playoff game with the potential to win more with Rus leading this team assuming he comes in and works hard with something to prove since his legacy is on the line. Not exactly Super Bowl expectations, but at least I feel a little more optimistic and you never know if the team comes together.
He can't beat Wilson...I have a better chance of becoming pope tomorrow. If Kenny had that much upside they would not have even signed Wilson because he wants to start. You might say it's to back up Kenny or that they will have a "competition." Russel Wilson is a franchise QB who was being paid almost 40 million a year....the competition part is just for public consumption. He was promised something to sign here, and that is that he will start.

I'm not dwelling on any of this qb stuff until training camp. I'm just thinking draft. The mini camp rookie workouts and OTA stuff will be interesting.

He can't beat Wilson...I have a better chance of becoming pope tomorrow. If Kenny had that much upside they would not have even signed Wilson because he wants to start. You might say it's to back up Kenny or that they will have a "competition." Russel Wilson is a franchise QB who was being paid almost 40 million a year....the competition part is just for public consumption. He was promised something to sign here, and that is that he will start.
Maybe he was just promised a shot in a fair competition, and he assumed the sale (that he would beat KP in said competition). Sounds more probable to me.
I don't believe, for a second, he was promised the starting role a shot at competing for it sure.
But we all know how a QB competition works around here, whoever Shades wants to win will win said "fair competition".

Guess it all boils down to who Mike wants to win the spot.

Hope you're right but no way I'm betting on a playoff win (I like to keep my money/win bets)
Mike has to prove something first
Playoff wins haven't really been his thing for quite awhile because he employs an ideology that the game has passed by

I wonder if we'll have a healthy qb competition or is this signing going to lead to a toxic locker room. I hope I'm wrong but I'm thinking it's going to be unhealthy....
Picking up a proven QB in the NFL is going to lead to an unhealthy locker room? I can't imagine there is anyone on either side of the ball that is going to be campaigning or protesting for Pickett.

Maybe he was just promised a shot in a fair competition, and he assumed the sale (that he would beat KP in said competition). Sounds more probable to me.
I don't believe, for a second, he was promised the starting role a shot at competing for it sure.
But we all know how a QB competition works around here, whoever Shades wants to win will win said "fair competition".

Guess it all boils down to who Mike wants to win the spot.
I tend to agree with you... most of the calmer heads think that its going to be Pickett starting camp as QB1, but a competition to see who leaves it as qb1...

And as you say, Tomlin tends to preset who is winning in his head...

People dont get that Wilson had 0.0 other opportunities to legitimately start anywhere else..

Minnesota, for some reason, was enamored with Sam Darnold's physical traits... and were not in the shorter Wilson. Every other potential starting job open is expected to go to a top rookie...
I dont think they had to promise him a starting job... this was just tge best path to that which wasnt getting a rookie that was eventually going to start
  • Baltimore Ravens
    Lamar Jackson
  • Buffalo Bills
    Josh Allen
  • Cincinnati Bengals
    Joe Burrow
  • Cleveland Browns
    Deshaun Watson
  • Denver Broncos
    Some rookie
    (Russell Wilson Released)
  • Houston Texans
    C.J. Stroud
  • Indianapolis Colts
    Anthony Richardson
  • Jacksonville Jaguars
    Trevor Lawrence
  • Kansas City Chiefs
    Patrick Mahomes
  • Las Vegas Raiders
    Aidan O’Connell
  • Los Angeles Chargers
    Justin Herbert
  • Miami Dolphins
    Tua Tagovailoa
  • New England Patriots
    Expected to draft rookie starter
  • New York Jets
    Aaron Rodgers
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
    Kenny Pickett
    (Signed Russell Wilson)
  • Tennessee Titans
    Will Levis
  • Atlanta Falcons
    Kirk Cousins
  • Arizona Cardinals
    Kyler Murray
  • Carolina Panthers
    Bryce Young
  • Chicago Bears
    Drafting a rookie
  • Dallas Cowboys
    Dak Prescott
  • Detroit Lions
    Jared Goff
  • Green Bay Packers
    Jordan Love
  • Los Angeles Rams
    Matthew Stafford
  • Minnesota Vikings
    Sam Darnold*
    (Kirk Cousins Signed with Falcons)
  • New Orleans Saints
    Derek Carr
  • New York Giants
    Daniel Jones
  • Philadelphia Eagles
    Jalen Hurts
  • San Francisco 49ers
    Brock Purdy
  • Seattle Seahawks
    Geno Smith
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Baker Mayfield
  • Washington Commanders
  • Drafting a rookie

People dont get that Wilson had 0.0 other opportunities to legitimately start anywhere else..
I can name you 10 QB's on that list that Wilson would start over without putting much thought to it.

Picking up a proven QB in the NFL is going to lead to an unhealthy locker room? I can't imagine there is anyone on either side of the ball that is going to be campaigning or protesting for Pickett.
For some reason he was run out of Denver and they paid a healthy chunk of salary to get him away from their locker room. We'll see what happens, I hope it works out.

I wonder if we'll have a healthy qb competition or is this signing going to lead to a toxic locker room. I hope I'm wrong but I'm thinking it's going to be unhealthy....
The Steelers simply need their QB1 to be in the top half of the NFL. until that happens, the locker room should not be satisfied.

For some reason he was run out of Denver and they paid a healthy chunk of salary to get him away from their locker room. We'll see what happens, I hope it works out.
Because he doesn't fit Sean Payton's vision of a QB in the slightest. Same reason Payton has struggled since Drew retired.

There is a weird chance that Aaron Rodgers ends
I can name you 10 QB's on that list that Wilson would start over without putting much thought to it.
And those teams had no interest in him at all... remember, Denver explored trading him before tgey cut him... even with a ton of salary retained

nobody wanted him at all

The guy is a small qb and they typically have a pretty steep cliff in their mid 30's... most QBs dont last past 35... I dont think he had any other opportunities at all...

I guess we will get a qb early in the draft.

One you’re Tomlin’s guy, you’re Tomlin’s guy, and KP is Tomlin’s guy.
Okay, so that didn’t age well.
New sheriff in town, obviously.