• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

New Steelers QB Russell Wilson Believes He Will Be The Starter In Pittsburgh: "He's Ultra Confident In His Abilities"

You do realize that you're nearly perfectly describing Wilson's 2023 season with the Broncos (behind an OL with one of the worst pressure rates in the league), right?
3070 yards (in 15 games), 26 touchdowns, and 8 interceptions, #8 in the NFL with a 98 passer rating

But, no, you won't be happy unless it's Kenny putting up those types of efficient numbers. :doh:
Check his sacks and fumbles. We don’t need Russell Wilson. Lots of those stats in garbage time
You be excited for him being here. Not me!

Did you watch Pickett in college? He struggled to throw TDs for three of four years as a starter. Getting up to 25 TDs puts him in the top 10 in the league in TD passes. At his current pace, it's going to take him 4 years to get up to 25 TDs for his career.

His pocket presence isn't going to improve, it is what it is at this point, he just has to manage it. It's basically engrained in his muscle memory to leave a clean pocket and even if he improves, the first time he has a bad OL again he'll revert back to his habits. That is how his career has gone, unfortunately. I thought he was past it after his final year at Pitt, but he's proven otherwise.
I’d just like to see him in a new offense with a legit OC then I will be know for sure. Thought he was set up to fail under Canada!

Check his sacks and fumbles. We don’t need Russell Wilson. Lots of those stats in garbage time
Russ got sacked and fumbled a lot because his offensive line was one of the worst in the league in pass protection. Imagine that. Tua, Lawrence, and Lamar Jackson all had more fumbles...so what?

I already refuted your bullshlt post about Wilson's "garbage time" stats earlier. To which you conveniently didn't respond. His best games were all either wins or close losses...but that doesn't fit your narrative, does it?

Wilson is getting paid 39 MILLION dollars total. The Steelers are only on the hook for 1.2 million of it.

I don't see a defense that's superbowl caliber. They couldn't even stop two 2-10 teams at home in back to back weeks.

They'll have to score way more than they've been doing the last 4-6 years to offset that wet rice paper in the middle of the field.

I am optimistic about them and the draft coming up.
If they can address Center and another Tackle who are above the mark, they could really do something on offense.
Agreed, Another year ends with an embarrassing defensive performance. I like the Queen signing, and the Corner we got has to be atleast a small upgrade. If we could dump Cam for Chris Jones this defense would be scary.

He played great during the 5-game win stretch and beat 4 playoff teams in a row. Beat the Chiefs, Packers, Bills and Browns. With terrible line and sub-par running game. And our punter makes almost 3x as much as we will pay him.

That statement, while 100% accurate, speaks volumes about who and what Tomlin is and is not.
The good news is that they do exist and hopefully Khan recognizes that for our needs and the draft
Take "potential" and "ceiling" out of the evaluation process for free agents and draft picks
Look for production and actual measurables.

Man, it’s gonna be a great competition in camp between Patrick Queen, Elandon Roberts and Cole Holcomb to see who starts at LB.
Hopefully Holcomb is healthy by then, but not probable

Hopefully Holcomb is healthy by then, but not probable
I will be shocked if he is back by mid-season. That was a brutal knee injury from a surgical and rehab side...not to mention then getting back to game shape.

while bitching about whether KFP or Wilson are good enough or the situation is "fair competition", most are forgetting that the Steelers, and their fans, need an NFL QB who is legitimately in the top 10 to be a playoff force.

Until that happens -- maybe with Wilson or maybe KFP blossoms -- who cares who the mediocre QB of any 9-8 team is? All last season proved was that Mitch was still not the answer and that KFP did not have the progression needed to be a top flite NFL QB.

The rest is just details until the Steelers draft/acquire a top flight QB.

while bitching about whether KFP or Wilson are good enough or the situation is "fair competition", most are forgetting that the Steelers, and their fans, need an NFL QB who is legitimately in the top 10 to be a playoff force.

Until that happens -- maybe with Wilson or maybe KFP blossoms -- who cares who the mediocre QB of any 9-8 team is? All last season proved was that Mitch was still not the answer and that KFP did not have the progression needed to be a top flite NFL QB.

Agree 100%, BUT, if Wilson puts up the same stats this year as he did last year, the Steelers could be a deep playoff threat. Given the amount of money we are spending on defense, they had better be in the top 3-5 in the NFL. Great defense with even an average to above average offense can win a lot of games.

Its hard to have a true read on the QB position with the OL still in flux and now a need at WR. Wilson is an improvement from Trubisky so we will gladly take that. Where that goes between him and little hands is another story.

Dan Patrick and Dan Orlovsky said there's a 100% chance that Wilson said he'd only sign if he was the starting QB. I tend to agree.

Steelers should trade Kenny to the Vikes so he can do the 1 thing he's good at. Throwing to Jordan Addison.
That would be a great fit for a young, talented QB. Two excellent receivers, a good tight end, and I believe a solid OL with an offensive-minded coach. They can offer up a first for Kenny.

What has anyone seen in Pickett to think he can be a legit #1??? Anyone??? Anything???

And whoever said the fact they brought Wilson in doesn't mean they don't have confidence in Pickett, that's exactly what it means. Pickett was our 1st round pick for the love of god, if they had confidence in Pickett, Wilson would not be here.

I've never seen such an average player get so many excuses.
Have you seen some of the Najee Harris posts...?

Let's see what the Kelce brothers have to say on their podcast.

"He was still balling in Denver at times," Kelce said. "I've seen him dice up some teams and make some good throws. I mean, we lost to Denver in Denver last year. ... I think Russ has a lot of good football left in him, man. Obviously, he's got that 'it' factor about him that we've seen so many times. Sure enough, he'll bring some veteran presence to that locker room, and we all know how good of a coach [Mike] Tomlin is and how good that defense is. Steelers definitely got better for sure."

I think the majority of the bitching about KFP or Wilson stems from most Steeler fans realizing neither is good enough to lead this team to the promised land and everyone is getting sick and tired of being mired in mediocrity year after year. You've got KFP who is mid when at his best and Wilson who may or may not end up being an upgrade from KFP. That doesn't inspire much confidence.

This team is still a legit HC and a legit bona fide franchise QB away from SB contention, and it has been that way for years.

The bitching just stems from a spoiled fanbase that has a standard that is not alignment with the ownership. Until the Steelers solve both the HC and QB riddles I predict there will continue to be much bitching.

Let's see what the Kelce brothers have to say on their podcast.

"He was still balling in Denver at times," Kelce said. "I've seen him dice up some teams and make some good throws. I mean, we lost to Denver in Denver last year. ... I think Russ has a lot of good football left in him, man. Obviously, he's got that 'it' factor about him that we've seen so many times. Sure enough, he'll bring some veteran presence to that locker room, and we all know how good of a coach [Mike] Tomlin is and how good that defense is. Steelers definitely got better for sure."
We’re going to find out but I hate to see diehard Steeler fans get their hopes up.
Mark Schlareth (spelling) former Broncos OL wasn’t very complimentary towards good ol’Russ. Talked about him averaging 49 sacks per season the last four years and lots of fumbles. Didn’t have anything good to say.
Chad Brown, remember him? Said some pretty scathing things about Russ.
One thing he said was the defensive players would roll their eyes when Russ would get up and give one of his pep talks.
Now does that mean anything here? Idk, but this should be interesting this season.
I’m afraid too many here think they’re getting the Russ Wilson from his Seahawk days but we’re not. We’re getting the guy the Brocncos are paying 38 million to go away.
We’ll see but this to me always stunk of Tomlin who gets too stary eyed with these has been.
Think Patrick Peterson!

We’re going to find out but I hate to see diehard Steeler fans get their hopes up.
Mark Schlareth (spelling) former Broncos OL wasn’t very complimentary towards good ol’Russ. Talked about him averaging 49 sacks per season the last four years and lots of fumbles. Didn’t have anything good to say.
One thing he said was the defensive players would roll their eyes when Russ would get up and give one of his pep talks.
Now does that mean anything here? Idk, but this should be interesting this season.
I’m afraid too many here think they’re getting the Russ Wilson from his Seahawk days but we’re not. We’re getting the guy the Brocncos are paying 38 million to go away.
We’ll see but this to me always stunk of Tomlin who gets too stary eyed with these has been.
Think Patrick Peterson!
He's not a has been. Many wanted Ben back when it was obvious he truly was washed.....funny how that works. I wonder what Coach Cowher thinks.

Think Patrick Peterson!
As far as Schlareth goes when all the sports talking heads agree on something there is always 1 or 2 contrarians. If they are proved right they are sage men....if they are wrong, no worries on to the next story for them. Everyone is talking about what a great move this is for both Wilson and the Steelers. We are talking about a 2 time SB champion x9 Pro Bowler and people here act like Kordell Stewart came out of retirement and was given the starting job...LOL.

He's coming into the perfect situation with Smith's play action style and our running game.

Having said that, yeah it might not work out with him, anything can happen, but so little is lost money wise and whatever else(Kenny is not the guy, so doesn't matter how it affects him) it's a non factor. If he balls out it's one of the greatest Steelers/ NFL deals ever.

REALITY CHEQUE $$$$$$$$$$$$

R Wilson 1year 1.2 Million ........ STEELERs only have one QB on current roster (KP)..... even if they signed him to hand out gatorade or hold a clip board .... he fills a need ....cheap ..... if he takes Kenny's job so be it ......... if he plays backup ... he is alot better than Mitch was ... If we draft a QB he provides a form of mentor ...
It allows us to free up money to land guys like Patrick Queen .......... hell I would guess he is cheaper than the punter we just signed...

our other options that are now signed to contracts ........... I am glad we took advantage of the Broncos situation ... and love the fact they will be paying his salary for the most part

Mitch Trubisky...................... 2 year 5.25 Million
Jacoby Brissett ................... 1 year 8 Million
Tyrod Taylor......................... 2 year 18 Million
Drew Lock ............................1 year 5 Million
Sam Darnold........................ 1 year 10 Million
Marcus Mariota ....................1 year 6 Million
Gardner Minshew .................2 year 25 Million
Baker Mayfield ......................3 year 100 Million
Kirk Cousins .........................4 year 180 Million
Mason Rudolph ............ 1 year 3.62 Million
Joe Flacco ...................... 1 year 8.7 Million

As far as Schlareth goes when all the sports talking heads agree on something there is always 1 or 2 contrarians. If they are proved right they are sage men....if they are wrong, no worries on to the next story for them. Everyone is talking about what a great move this is for both Wilson and the Steelers. We are talking about a 2 time SB champion x9 Pro Bowler and people here act like Kordell Stewart came out of retirement and was given the starting job...LOL.

He's coming into the perfect situation with Smith's play action style and our running game.

Having said that, yeah it might not work out with him, anything can happen, but so little is lost money wise and whatever else(Kenny is not the guy, so doesn't matter how it affects him) it's a non factor. If he balls out it's one of the greatest Steelers/ NFL deals ever.
One time SB Champion. Remember, he’s the guy that threw the int on the two yard line against the Pats with first and goal and Marshawn Lynch in his backfield.
He’s right up Tomlin’s alley!

One time SB Champion. Remember, he’s the guy that threw the int on the two yard line against the Pats with first and goal and Marshawn Lynch in his backfield.
He’s right up Tomlin’s alley!
I stand corrected. I was thinking Ben and washed from previous post with Ben being 2 time champion. Still, dude could make a big come back and that would be a blessing for us no one expected coming out of 2023.