• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Next man up, except Herbig

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Why isn't Herbig in at ILB? Instead we go and inflate the Myles Jack doll, and insert him. I didn't hate him, but Herbig seems to have younger, fresher skills. Austin admits he is capable, but won't do it.

He can't get the green dot? Too dumb? Our defensive scheme is too complex?

I don't get this one.

(Can't find the article I read on this).

Why isn't Herbig in at ILB? Instead we go and inflate the Myles Jack doll, and insert him. I didn't hate him, but Herbig seems to have younger, fresher skills. Austin admits he is capable, but won't do it.

I don't get this one.

Too complex a switch a this point in the season with absolutely no time at the position. The reads and responsibilities are totally different. It would take an entire training camp to make that switch. Particularly adding the green dot to it all.

Too complex a switch a this point in the season with absolutely no time at the position. The reads and responsibilities are totally different. It would take an entire training camp to make that switch. Particularly adding the green dot to it all.
then TJ wouldnt work either

Ummm....coaching up players over the past few weeks since the ILB injury bug bit should have been a priority for someone on the staff: HC, DC, ILB coach?

The "lets let Minkah do it" bandaid results in a broken hand and more space for TEs up the seam because the other team knows where he will be.

Ummm....coaching up players over the past few weeks since the ILB injury bug bit should have been a priority for someone on the staff: HC, DC, ILB coach?

The "lets let Minkah do it" bandaid results in a broken hand and more space for TEs up the seam because the other team knows where he will be.

An example of Re-action and PRO-action.

This is re-action.

Salute the nation

Wouldn't have mattered one bit. That is not a coaching a player up during two weeks of the season change. People just stop. You can't move a player that's never played that position or any secondary of the ball position into one that is totally different in a few weeks with the limited practice time allowed. Just because both are called line backer means nothing, they are extremely dissimilar positions. Learning to react to MLB reads is real process. I know as I have tried to make that move myself in season from OLB. They were proactive in going out and signing additional bodies like Myles Jack.

Wouldn't have mattered one bit. That is not a coaching a player up during two weeks of the season change. People just stop. You can't move a player that's never played that position or any secondary of the ball position into one that is totally different in a few weeks with the limited practice time allowed. Just because both are called line backer means nothing, they are extremely dissimilar positions. Learning to react to MLB reads is real process. I know as I have tried to make that move myself in season from OLB. They were proactive in going out and signing additional bodies like Myles Jack.
I don't buy it; that's the "it's too complicated for you simple people to grasp" defense. Not buying it. Football is NOT rokcet science, even if they want to pretend it is. Would the transition be perfect? No, but it doesn't mean it's not even possible to attempt.

I don't buy it; that's the "it's too complicated for you simple people to grasp" defense. Not buying it. Football is NOT rokcet science, even if they want to pretend it is. Would the transition be perfect? No, but it doesn't mean it's not even possible to attempt.
My take exactly

our new ILB is already on roster, but out of position

Mason Cole
  • Clogs running lanes
  • pressures QB
  • forces turnovers

Herbig is an OLB. He is playing well there. He hasn't practiced at all at ILB so there is no way you just throw him in there. If things got really dire and you got him a couple of weeks practicing at ILB, then you might consider it but to this point, there's no reason to even contemplate it.

Ever played middle linebacker and outside linebacker? do you understand the mental twitch training it requires to learn to read the guards first step and diagnose the play in about .5 to one second all the while having to also be mindful of your pass coverage responsibilities? also having to be able to yell out the needed communications as you know what is happening? all that after having to set the defense call out strengths and set the d line? That is what the MLB has to do every play. The outside LB has far less to worry about as the assignments are pretty straight forward and dictated by the calls made by the inside linebacker.

I was a damn good instinctual outside linebacker. I was lost as **** trying to play inside. All of a sudden I had to think not just react and you can't learn that in a few weeks at this level. If you take even a second hesitating trying to read the guards you have already lost. These guys have honed these reads over years and can react to the first step of the guard by second nature. I am sure he could run around and make some tackles but unless his assignment is simplified down to fill this hole or blitz he would be a liability.

Ever played middle linebacker and outside linebacker?

YES
do you understand the mental twitch training it requires to learn to read the guards first step and diagnose the play in about .5 to one second all the while having to also be mindful of your pass coverage responsibilities?

YES
also having to be able to yell out the needed communications as you know what is happening? all that after having to set the defense call out strengths and set the d line? That is what the MLB has to do every play. The outside LB has far less to worry about as the assignments are pretty straight forward and dictated by the calls made by the inside linebacker.
SO?

I was a damn good instinctual outside linebacker. I was lost as **** trying to play inside.

That's you
All of a sudden I had to think not just react and you can't learn that in a few weeks at this level. If you take even a second hesitating trying to read the guards you have already lost. These guys have honed these reads over years and can react to the first step of the guard by second nature. I am sure he could run around and make some tackles but unless his assignment is simplified down to fill this hole or blitz he would be a liability.

Ever played middle linebacker and outside linebacker? do you understand the mental twitch training it requires to learn to read the guards first step and diagnose the play in about .5 to one second all the while having to also be mindful of your pass coverage responsibilities? also having to be able to yell out the needed communications as you know what is happening? all that after having to set the defense call out strengths and set the d line? That is what the MLB has to do every play. The outside LB has far less to worry about as the assignments are pretty straight forward and dictated by the calls made by the inside linebacker.

I was a damn good instinctual outside linebacker. I was lost as **** trying to play inside. All of a sudden I had to think not just react and you can't learn that in a few weeks at this level. If you take even a second hesitating trying to read the guards you have already lost. These guys have honed these reads over years and can react to the first step of the guard by second nature. I am sure he could run around and make some tackles but unless his assignment is simplified down to fill this hole or blitz he would be a liability.
I hear ya Lebanon...
Totally agree...just because you or I and most others can't.....there are some humans that are capable of pulling this off...
That's why there's only a select few in the league that I would even give one once of consideration to be successful at this move...
....and one is our very own Trent Jordan Watt.

What exactly in Herbigs game makes people think that he is going to be any good in the much more coverage heavy ilb role?

People projected him there based on size and speed, not skillsets…

I think a vet ILB is a better choice than gambling on a serious position change for the Rookie

I don't get this one.

Herbig does not play ILB. Why is this still an assumption???

Because he don't have one right now, so someone has to step up.
You do realize that we have both Blake Martinez and Myles Jack on the team, right???

Once Jack gets his NFL stamina back - I would bet the LS10 that he's the green dot for the remainder of the season barring injury...

Martinez is Elandon Roberts 2.0.

You do realize that we have both Blake Martinez and Myles Jack on the team, right???

Once Jack gets his NFL stamina back - I would bet the LS10 that he's the green dot for the remainder of the season barring injury...

Martinez is Elandon Roberts 2.0.
Yes, but correct me if I'm wrong - they both were out of the game, and came out of retirement. Maybe not the best guys out there.