• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL Position Group Rankings according to ESPN

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Mike Clay of ESPN just released the position group rankings of every team. https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/in...ps-best-worst-team-units-quarterback-receiver

Here's the Steelers ranks.

QB - 23
This is fair to start the season. Pickett didn't throw enough TDs last year for a higher ranking, though he can ascend to the middle of the pack (13-18) by the end of the season. ESPN recognized this and identified the Steelers as the "Unit to watch" for this position.

RB - 16
Another fair ranking for the Steelers, though, I thought the depth with Warren could push themselves a couple of spots higher. Harris is an average starter without the game-breaking ability many of the elite backs have, but he's a tough, physical runner who should have a great year given how the Steelers built the offense.

WR - 15
I think this group is a little underrated heading into the season. Johnson is better than we give him credit for and PIckens has star potential. The addition of Robinson added much-needed depth and Austin is a wild card. This could very well be a top-10 unit by the end of the year.

TE - 7
Entering the offseason, I wouldn't have expected this group to be this high. However, is there another team that goes 4-deep like the Steelers? Freiermuth is arguably a top-6 TE in the league, Gentry a solid No. 2, and Washington is living up to the hype as a dominant blocker in camp. Heyward is not in the traditional mold, but a gamer. I think this is a top-5 unit.

OL - 15
The offensive line was bottom 5 two years ago, started last year probably in the mid 20s and finished at least in the middle of the league, so this is a fair starting point. Seumalo is an upgrade and we've heard good things from camp. Some say Jones has no chance to start while others believe Jones is progressing well enough to start by week one. Either way, this is a more talented, deeper unit than last season.

IDL - 8
No arguments here. Heyward is one of the best and Larry Ogunjobi returning really helps. They signed so many new faces to join the returning players along with Benton, someone has to stand out to make an impact as a rotational lineman.

EDGE - 1
ESPN gave huge props to Watt and Highsmith, obviously. Also recognized depth with Golden, Leal, and Herbig. I loved the Herbig pick and am beyond impressed that they're leaving him at edge. I though for sure they were going to move him inside. Early reports are very good, just need to see his skills translate to games.

ILB - 20
Given where this unit was last season, I' can't argue. Other than Robinson, the Steelers pretty much rebuilt the depth chart and I think have three interesting players with Holcomb, Alexander, and Roberts to work with.

S - 10
This is obviously propped up by Fitzpatrick, but Kazee is good when healthy. Neal seems like he's fitting in nicely so far.

Overall, the Steelers averaged 12.8 in positional group rankings. Not too bad. According to ESPN, the Eagles have the best roster.

Mike Clay of ESPN just released the position group rankings of every team. https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/in...ps-best-worst-team-units-quarterback-receiver

Here's the Steelers ranks.

QB - 23
This is fair to start the season. Pickett didn't throw enough TDs last year for a higher ranking, though he can ascend to the middle of the pack (13-18) by the end of the season. ESPN recognized this and identified the Steelers as the "Unit to watch" for this position.

RB - 16
Another fair ranking for the Steelers, though, I thought the depth with Warren could push themselves a couple of spots higher. Harris is an average starter without the game-breaking ability many of the elite backs have, but he's a tough, physical runner who should have a great year given how the Steelers built the offense.

WR - 15
I think this group is a little underrated heading into the season. Johnson is better than we give him credit for and PIckens has star potential. The addition of Robinson added much-needed depth and Austin is a wild card. This could very well be a top-10 unit by the end of the year.

TE - 7
Entering the offseason, I wouldn't have expected this group to be this high. However, is there another team that goes 4-deep like the Steelers? Freiermuth is arguably a top-6 TE in the league, Gentry a solid No. 2, and Washington is living up to the hype as a dominant blocker in camp. Heyward is not in the traditional mold, but a gamer. I think this is a top-5 unit.

OL - 15
The offensive line was bottom 5 two years ago, started last year probably in the mid 20s and finished at least in the middle of the league, so this is a fair starting point. Seumalo is an upgrade and we've heard good things from camp. Some say Jones has no chance to start while others believe Jones is progressing well enough to start by week one. Either way, this is a more talented, deeper unit than last season.

IDL - 8
No arguments here. Heyward is one of the best and Larry Ogunjobi returning really helps. They signed so many new faces to join the returning players along with Benton, someone has to stand out to make an impact as a rotational lineman.

EDGE - 1
ESPN gave huge props to Watt and Highsmith, obviously. Also recognized depth with Golden, Leal, and Herbig. I loved the Herbig pick and am beyond impressed that they're leaving him at edge. I though for sure they were going to move him inside. Early reports are very good, just need to see his skills translate to games.

ILB - 20
Given where this unit was last season, I' can't argue. Other than Robinson, the Steelers pretty much rebuilt the depth chart and I think have three interesting players with Holcomb, Alexander, and Roberts to work with.

S - 10
This is obviously propped up by Fitzpatrick, but Kazee is good when healthy. Neal seems like he's fitting in nicely so far.

Overall, the Steelers averaged 12.8 in positional group rankings. Not too bad. According to ESPN, the Eagles have the best roster.

Our WR are better than a 15. Our ILB's are much better than they were last year.

Our WR are better than a 15. Our ILB's are much better than they were last year.
I agree, but from a rankings perspective, an outside observer isn't going to rank the WRs higher when the leading receiver didn't catch a TD and the No. 3 only played 21 games over the past two years. Same for the ILB since they cleaned house, you just don't know what to expect even if on paper it looks better.

I agree, but from a rankings perspective, an outside observer isn't going to rank the WRs higher when the leading receiver didn't catch a TD and the No. 3 only played 21 games over the past two years. Same for the ILB since they cleaned house, you just don't know what to expect even if on paper it looks better.

No doubt but in preseason rankings like this, the media blow the team of the day. The Steelers re-sign Chase Claypool for some reason and he is "a disappointing pick, bad hands, does not high-point the ball and is completely non-physical despite his size."

The Chiefs sign Chase Claypool and suddenly he is "a dominant physical presence and outside threat that will open up the running game. Great addition by the mastermind, Andy Reid."

Plus how many times have we seen players light it up during the preseason only to have a subsequent ho hum season? Pickens has amazing potential but until he puts top production out on film and his juice partner puts more points on the board that drink is watered down filled with potential and ice cubes.

Plus how many times have we seen players light it up during the preseason only to have a subsequent ho hum season? Pickens has amazing potential but until he puts top production out on film and his juice partner puts more points on the board that drink is watered down filled with potential and ice cubes.
Pickens gets propped up because of his circus catches. He was a bit of a one-trick pony last season who needs to do a better job creating separation and improving his route tree. It appears he's done some of this during the offseason and has to continue if he wants to develop into one of the elite receivers in the league.

S - 10

The safeties are good but not a Luxury.

Last edited:
The safeties are good but not a Luxury.

The LUXURY S10 has been getting around. Several STEELERS have gotten rides in her and they all are clamoring to be seen during photo opps.

All the Saftey’s piled in and I think we drove by the ESPN studio about the time of the ratings—————————- S 10

Salute the nation