• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Nope. Walls don’t work.

The intrepid Jim Acosta made his way down to the border and found that there is indeed no crisis on the US side of a border wall
And the intrepid Jim Acosta also found there is indeed no crisis on the US side of the border where there is no border wall at all, or where there are levees, chain-link fences, waist-high barriers and the like.

The point being, there is indeed no crisis on the US southern border.

Duly noted, I'll make sure I keep that in mind next time the lunatic Trump is ranting and raving about what a national emergency this is that needs immediate attention an a blank check of taxpayers money, or money diverted from actual, real disasters. .

Acosta is cool as a cucumber, completely unfazed by Trump's - and the looney alt right's - constant harrassment and attacks. Kudos to him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">CNN’s Jim <a href="https://twitter.com/Acosta?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Acosta</a> is along the border in McAllen, Texas, where President Trump spoke earlier.<br><br>“Earlier today he declared the nation is under attack on the border…but that’s not the only misleading thing the President has said today while he’s been in pursuit of his border wall" <a href="https://t.co/Y5q5vmKzVS">pic.twitter.com/Y5q5vmKzVS</a></p>— The Situation Room (@CNNSitRoom) <a href="https://twitter.com/CNNSitRoom/status/1083493504419016708?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 10, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
No matter where you stand on Trump's wall, this is an interesting read. It helps understand the real world issues such a project would face. Trump doesn't have a magic wand that will just make a border wall appear out of nowhere. It also helps quantify the current $5bn price tag is most likely a minor down payment when given the overall scope and cost of such a project. Again, try to read this without a partisan, political slant. It'll help you come to grips with the challenges such a gigantic project entails, and perhaps provide a sobering analysis of what the realities are on the ground. It should also shed light on why so many people have wet feet cutting Trump a blank check on a massive project like this. Particularly since there are no specific plans or feasibility studies, it's just an idea in Trump's head with some hastility assembled prototypes.

This was originally posted on twitter, so I'll line-up the individual tweets for ease of reading.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Amy Patrick, an engineer, Wall Expert.

I’m a licensed structural and civil engineer with a MS in structural engineering from the top program in the nation and over a decade of experience on high-performance projects...

...and particularly of cleaning up design disasters where the factors weren’t properly accounted for, and I’m an adjunct professor of structural analysis and design at UH-Downtown.

I have previously been deposed as an expert witness in matters regarding proper construction of walls and the various factors associated therein, and my testimony has passed Daubert....

Am I a wall expert? I am. I am literally a court-accepted expert on walls....

Structurally and civil engineering-wise, the border wall is not a feasible project. Trump did not hire engineers to design the thing. He solicited bids from contractors, not engineers....

This means it’s not been designed by professionals. It’s a disaster of numerous types waiting to happen. What disasters?...

Off the top of my head... 1) It will mess with our ability to drain land in flash flooding. Anything impeding the ability of water to get where it needs to go (doesn’t matter if there are holes in the wall or whatever) is going to dramatically increase the risk of flooding...

2) Messes with all kind of stuff ecologically. For all other projects, we have to do an Environmental Site Assessment, which is arduous. They’re either planning to circumvent all this,...

...or they haven’t accounted for it yet, because that’s part of the design process, and this thing hasn’t been designed.

3) The prototypes they came up with are nearly impossible to build or don’t actually do the job. This article explains more: https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.engineering.com/amp/17599.html … And so on....

The estimates provided for the cost are arrived at unreasonably. You can look for yourself at the two-year-old estimate that you see everyone citing. http://fronterasdesk.org/sites/default/files/field/docs/2016/07/Bernstein-%20The%20Trump%20Wall.pdf …

It does not account for rework, complexities beyond the prototype design, factors to prevent flood and environmental hazard creation, engineering redesign...

It’s going to be higher than $50bn. The contractors will hit the government with near CONSTANT change orders. “Cost overrun” will be the name of the game. It will not be completed in Trump’s lifetime....

I’m a structural forensicist, which means I’m called in when things go wrong. This is a project that WILL go wrong....

When projects go wrong, the original estimates are just *obliterated*....

And when that happens, good luck getting it fixed, because there aren’t that many forensicists out there to right the ship, particularly not that are willing to work on a border wall project—

.. a large quotient of us are immigrants, and besides, we can’t afford to bid on jobs that are this political. We’re small firms, and we’re already busy, and we don’t gamble our reputations on political footballs....

So you’d end up with a revolving door of contractors making a giant, uncoordinated muddle of things, and it’d generally be a mess. Good money after bad. The GAO agrees with me....

And it won’t be effective. I could, right now, purchase a 32 foot extension ladder and weld a cheap custom saddle for the top of the proposed wall so that I can get over it...

I don’t know who they talked to about the wall design and its efficacy, but it sure as heck wasn’t anybody with any engineering imagination.

Another thing: we are not far from the day where inexpensive drones will be able to pick up and carry someone. This will happen in the next ten years, and it’s folly to think that the coyotes who ferry people over the border won’t purchase or create them.

They’re low enough, quiet enough, and small enough to quickly zip people over any wall we could build undetected with our current monitoring setup.

Let’s have border security, by all means, but let’s be smart about it. It’s not effective. It’s NOT cheap. The returns will be diminishing as technology advances, too. This is a ridiculous idea that will never be successfully executed and, would be a monumental waste of money. <>

Last edited:
Democrats and fake news are such liars, about everything. Their latest lie is that the majority of drugs come into the country through legal points of entry. That’s bullshit. What mule would rather risk getting caught at a security checkpoint than cross parts of the boarder where there is no wall and no security? And they don’t even ******* know. How could they? They have no idea, they just lie.

No matter where you stand on Trump's wall, this is an interesting read. It helps understand the real world issues such a project would face. Trump doesn't have a magic wand that will just make a border wall appear out of nowhere. It also helps quantify the current $5bn price tag is most likely a minor down payment when given the overall scope and cost of such a project. Again, try to read this without a partisan, political slant. It'll help you come to grips with the challenges such a gigantic project entails, and perhaps provide a sobering analysis of what the realities are on the ground. It should also shed light on why so many people have wet feet cutting Trump a blank check on a massive project like this. Particularly since there are no specific plans or feasibility studies, it's just an idea in Trump's head with some hastility assembled prototypes.

This was originally posted on twitter, so I'll line-up the individual tweets for ease of reading.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Amy Patrick, an engineer, Wall Expert.

I’m a licensed structural and civil engineer with a MS in structural engineering from the top program in the nation and over a decade of experience on high-performance projects...

...and particularly of cleaning up design disasters where the factors weren’t properly accounted for, and I’m an adjunct professor of structural analysis and design at UH-Downtown.

I have previously been deposed as an expert witness in matters regarding proper construction of walls and the various factors associated therein, and my testimony has passed Daubert....

Am I a wall expert? I am. I am literally a court-accepted expert on walls....

Structurally and civil engineering-wise, the border wall is not a feasible project. Trump did not hire engineers to design the thing. He solicited bids from contractors, not engineers....

This means it’s not been designed by professionals. It’s a disaster of numerous types waiting to happen. What disasters?...

Off the top of my head... 1) It will mess with our ability to drain land in flash flooding. Anything impeding the ability of water to get where it needs to go (doesn’t matter if there are holes in the wall or whatever) is going to dramatically increase the risk of flooding...

2) Messes with all kind of stuff ecologically. For all other projects, we have to do an Environmental Site Assessment, which is arduous. They’re either planning to circumvent all this,...

...or they haven’t accounted for it yet, because that’s part of the design process, and this thing hasn’t been designed.

3) The prototypes they came up with are nearly impossible to build or don’t actually do the job. This article explains more: https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.engineering.com/amp/17599.html … And so on....

The estimates provided for the cost are arrived at unreasonably. You can look for yourself at the two-year-old estimate that you see everyone citing. http://fronterasdesk.org/sites/default/files/field/docs/2016/07/Bernstein-%20The%20Trump%20Wall.pdf …

It does not account for rework, complexities beyond the prototype design, factors to prevent flood and environmental hazard creation, engineering redesign...

It’s going to be higher than $50bn. The contractors will hit the government with near CONSTANT change orders. “Cost overrun” will be the name of the game. It will not be completed in Trump’s lifetime....

I’m a structural forensicist, which means I’m called in when things go wrong. This is a project that WILL go wrong....

When projects go wrong, the original estimates are just *obliterated*....

And when that happens, good luck getting it fixed, because there aren’t that many forensicists out there to right the ship, particularly not that are willing to work on a border wall project—

.. a large quotient of us are immigrants, and besides, we can’t afford to bid on jobs that are this political. We’re small firms, and we’re already busy, and we don’t gamble our reputations on political footballs....

So you’d end up with a revolving door of contractors making a giant, uncoordinated muddle of things, and it’d generally be a mess. Good money after bad. The GAO agrees with me....

And it won’t be effective. I could, right now, purchase a 32 foot extension ladder and weld a cheap custom saddle for the top of the proposed wall so that I can get over it...

I don’t know who they talked to about the wall design and its efficacy, but it sure as heck wasn’t anybody with any engineering imagination.

Another thing: we are not far from the day where inexpensive drones will be able to pick up and carry someone. This will happen in the next ten years, and it’s folly to think that the coyotes who ferry people over the border won’t purchase or create them.

They’re low enough, quiet enough, and small enough to quickly zip people over any wall we could build undetected with our current monitoring setup.

Let’s have border security, by all means, but let’s be smart about it. It’s not effective. It’s NOT cheap. The returns will be diminishing as technology advances, too. This is a ridiculous idea that will never be successfully executed and, would be a monumental waste of money. <>

All of that is now irrelevant as the new "barrier" is simply tall pointed steel spikes. Seems to allow for many of those concerns.

And the intrepid Jim Acosta also found there is indeed no crisis on the US side of the border where there is no border wall at all, or where there are levees, chain-link fences, waist-high barriers and the like.

The point being, there is indeed no crisis on the US southern border.

Duly noted, I'll make sure I keep that in mind next time the lunatic Trump is ranting and raving about what a national emergency this is that needs immediate attention an a blank check of taxpayers money, or money diverted from actual, real disasters. .

Acosta is cool as a cucumber, completely unfazed by Trump's - and the looney alt right's - constant harrassment and attacks. Kudos to him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">CNN’s Jim <a href="https://twitter.com/Acosta?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Acosta</a> is along the border in McAllen, Texas, where President Trump spoke earlier.<br><br>“Earlier today he declared the nation is under attack on the border…but that’s not the only misleading thing the President has said today while he’s been in pursuit of his border wall" <a href="https://t.co/Y5q5vmKzVS">pic.twitter.com/Y5q5vmKzVS</a></p>— The Situation Room (@CNNSitRoom) <a href="https://twitter.com/CNNSitRoom/status/1083493504419016708?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 10, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He found a section of fence that is quiet. So why are you not giving Trump credit for solving the crisis at the border? Surely you recall the humanitarian crisis at the border you all were bleating about a month or two ago.

Any moron who says that he could buy a 32 foot ladder and scale the wall is a dumb ***. The border patrol has already come out and said that walls work. Everybody knows it OR they are lying. Everywhere they are tried they work. These people that cross aren't carrying 32 foot ******* ladders OR ******* welding equipment. If these illegal immigrants are so rich as to buy ladders and welding equipment then I would imagine they'd be too smart for a drone as well.

Also he has NO plan. Just ******* about a wall because he wants open borders. You can't just have drones and "equipment". Because those take massive amounts of people and the drones can be shot down.. I would imagine a shot gun is a lot less expensive than a ******* 32 foot ladder and a ******* welder.

th
Funny when she voted for a wall in 2006 along with Hilary and later Obama and tried to get it done every year since. Just a friggin block of the presedent. THE WALL WILL GO UP NO MATTER WHAT THE Dumocrats want.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Steeler Nation mobile app

Anything to not let the POTUS get a win and keep a campaign promise.

In 2019, the federal government will spend a whopping $4.407 trillion. Yet Congress and the president are shutting down the government in a dispute between the $1.3 billion the Democrats have approved for border security and the $5.7 billion the president is demanding -- precisely 0.0998 percent of the total federal budget. In Washington, that is considered a rounding error.

Worse, Democrats are doing it over a border wall strikingly similar to one that they almost unanimously supported just five years ago. While House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., now says that "a wall is an immorality," back in 2013, she supported a bill that required the construction of 700 miles of border fencing. (Trump has called for a wall of "anywhere from 700 to 900 miles" long.) The bill negotiated by the Gang of Eight, which included current Democratic leaders Sens. Charles Schumer, N.Y., and Dick Durbin, Ill., declared that "not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary [of Homeland Security] shall establish ... the 'Southern Border Fencing Strategy,' to identify where 700 miles of fencing (including double-layer fencing) ... should be deployed along the Southern border."

Lmao, cool as a cucumber. Let's get him to set up a tent for a few nights down there and see how cool he is then.

And he sounds like a hero to you. You should put him next to Michael Avenatti, Michael Cohen, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford & Stormy Daniels in your "American Patriot Hall of Fame".

And he sounds like a hero to you. You should put him next to Michael Avenatti, Michael Cohen, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford & Stormy Daniels in your "American Patriot Hall of Fame".

Post of the day award to you sir.

Acosta Self Owned harder than anyone in the history of the internet. The Tweet responses were utterly classic.

Any moron who says that he could buy a 32 foot ladder and scale the wall is a dumb ***. The border patrol has already come out and said that walls work. Everybody knows it OR they are lying. Everywhere they are tried they work. These people that cross aren't carrying 32 foot ******* ladders OR ******* welding equipment. If these illegal immigrants are so rich as to buy ladders and welding equipment then I would imagine they'd be too smart for a drone as well.

Also he has NO plan. Just ******* about a wall because he wants open borders. You can't just have drones and "equipment". Because those take massive amounts of people and the drones can be shot down.. I would imagine a shot gun is a lot less expensive than a ******* 32 foot ladder and a ******* welder.

And let's think a little more about logistics. If someone could buy a 32 foot ladder (who merely has the shirt on their back!), haul it to the border and then actually scale it, what then? They're going to fall 3 stories? Just all excuses. Walls work. They've worked for thousands of years. They work all over the world. Sarge just provided one example recently where a wall works. Clinton, Bush and yes, Obama, have all actually built parts of a southern border wall.

But Trump is da debil and so it's immoral and inhumane now.

Tibs, we have already discussed at some length the fact that Bammy unwittingly slowed illegal immigration with his ****** economy and 10% unemployment. Now with the turnaround, how about posting an image that includes 2017 and 2018?

The ultra-conservative NPR recently went on a ride-along with San Diego Border Patrol Agents and here's what they reported:

Senior Border Patrol officials are taking up President Trump's call for more miles of border barrier, pushing back against congressional Democrats who say additional fencing is unnecessary.

During a ride-along with the Border Patrol on Wednesday in its San Diego sector, agents made it clear that the fence deters illegal crossers.

"I started in the San Diego sector in 1992 and it didn't matter how many agents we lined up," said Chief Patrol Agent Rodney Scott. "We could not make a measurable impact on the flow [of undocumented immigrants] across the border. It wasn't until we installed barriers along the border that gave us the upper hand that we started to get control."

Forty-six of the 60 miles of border in the San Diego sector are currently protected by some type of barrier. Scott says in the places where he has two levels of fencing he achieves 90 percent operational control.

Scott was interviewed in a clearing at the base of the San Ysidro Mountains, a rugged sierra in southern San Diego County. For years, agents have considered the harsh terrain here to be a natural deterrent to illegal crossers. It is mainly Bureau of Land Management land with rocky inclines covered in cactus and juniper.

"Every night people come through this canyon," said Supervisory Border Patrol Agent Michael Scappechio. "If we put in a border barrier, we can utilize the [agent] manpower elsewhere."

For the full article http://www.npr.org/2019/01/11/684037990/border-patrol-makes-its-case-for-an-expanded-border-barrier

Tibs, we have already discussed at some length the fact that Bammy unwittingly slowed illegal immigration with his ****** economy and 10% unemployment. Now with the turnaround, how about posting an image that includes 2017 and 2018?

Welcome back Steeltime!

Welcome back Steeltime!

Yep, moved to Arizona. Our own 2+ acres, building the barn but the internet here is not good. Not good at all.

Checked in on the football forum a couple of times, but that was it. Too busy with a hellacious November, my move, setting up remote office, Xmas, bad internet, etc. But I'm back now, you lazy *******!

Yep, moved to Arizona. Our own 2+ acres, building the barn but the internet here is not good. Not good at all.

Checked in on the football forum a couple of times, but that was it. Too busy with a hellacious November, my move, setting up remote office, Xmas, bad internet, etc. But I'm back now, you lazy *******!

Nice! I bet it's like a breath of fresh air being out of Commiefornia already and having that nice 2+ acres.

But Trump is da debil and so it's immoral and inhumane now.

Alyssa Milano wants no parts of a wall:

Alyssa Milano@Alyssa_Milano

Why is Trump wasting time at the border advocating for a wall no one wants!?

Meanwhile, a picture of her own home (at one point, don't believe it's current):

Alyssa+Milano+Celebrity+Homes+tLzJ1S_4EsPl.jpg

I would have thought that by now yinz would know that arguing with Tibsy is just fuel for his resistance

th

and the rest of the libs have long ago shown their intelligence.

th

Happy as hell to hear you've left Californiastan. Good on you and the family. God speed with all the changes!

Its being reported that Steve King wants to build a wall around Iowa to keep out the kellered. Funny how Tim “Malcolm X is my hero” civil rights champion ignores King’s comments.

Its being reported that Steve King wants to build a wall around Iowa to keep out the kellered. Funny how Tim “Malcolm X is my hero” civil rights champion ignores King’s comments.

tenor.gif

49301890_10212834923327634_188787903130763264_n.jpg

I've heard no reasonable human being here in America defend that racist POS. I'm highly confident the same goes for this board. Did you start a Steve King thread we must've all missed?

Desperation is really starting to set in. God I can't even imagine how miserable it must be to be you.