• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Oh, those lovable Pouncey twins!

Also read that a woman was punched in the melee, but thats uncomfirmed

I am frequently in Bars at 4:30 in the morning. I haven't been in a bar fight or any sort of altercation since I broke one up when I was 23 and got punched in the face... that was at 7 or 8 in the evening down the south side about a decade and a half ago... ******** will be ******** regardless of time or place, and there are always people looking to exploit famous rich people... saying they shouldn't be out is just a lame way to blame them for something that it sounds like wasn't even their fault.

These people who think that an athlete is supposed to live the life of a monk crack me up. Clubs are usually dead until after midnight. What's the point of being young with money if you can't go out and have a good time? Plenty of guys go out on a regular basis, and never get into these scrapes. I was one of them. Saw the rising sun on many weekend mornings, and never got into any drama.

Sorry guys... did not mean to provoke anything. Things are different out west. You cannot even buy alcohol after 2am in California--bars, clubs and retail included. I would just think that if you are a target... it might be a good idea to take the after-party back to your own house.

I love fast cars and I love racing... however, I have to be careful because people might not understand when their pastor gets arrested for exhibition of speed! If you are someone that may be easily noticed or someone that OTHERS may enjoy watching you noticed... it just seems a little wisdom would be in order.

When I used to go out last call was at 1am or 1:30 and most clubs closed at 2am. Maybe different down in Miami though. I am not saying athletes should not go out, but if trouble seems to follow you then maybe you should either go somewhere different or have private parties.

It's all about being a professional once you have set your career path in life, which is when it is time, to start being a "big boy or girl"...

whether it is in business, politics, education, medical, or sports...

This is not about "last call for alcohol"...
temptation will always be there...it is all about choice...

personally, if I was Mr. (and I use Mr. lightly) Pouncey's employer who provides him with a privileged lifestyle..
I would be very upset with my employee ...and would hold him accountable, as a supposed "leader" in my professional organization..

Last edited:
When I used to go out last call was at 1am or 1:30 and most clubs closed at 2am. Maybe different down in Miami though. I am not saying athletes should not go out, but if trouble seems to follow you then maybe you should either go somewhere different or have private parties.
It is different in Miami, every state makes their own laws about what time a bar must close, etc.

Bobby Layne must be spinning in his grave at this thread.

Pouncey may not have done anything here but he has shown to put himself in bad situations so far in his NFL career. He even came out approving of the bullying he and his brothers buddy did on the Dolphins. So, putting himself in these situations and saying the stupid **** that he has, I have no doubt he will be suspended at some point. He is acting like a stupid teenager. He's no teenager anymore so maybe he is just stupid. The Steelers need to have a very short leash with him.

whether guilty or not, tired of the clown...and his brother.

I think it was a mistake to give him the contract now.

There really wasn't any logical reason to do it. They didn't save money. They still had all the chips to "keep him" with the franchise tag next year. They get a whole YEAR of information on this guy's play ability after injury and another year to see if he can continue to stay out of trouble (something he's come very close to getting into a number of times).

If this is the example of the new "Steelers Way" Tombert wants to promote, so be it. I'm just not sure I think we are going to be winners heading down this path.

So two flamers are involved in a fight at a bar and it is immediately because of gay bashing. Poor judgement on the Pounceys for being out in an environment that is likely to produce problems. Adams had a similar incident and got stabbed. These guys need to realize they are targets of opportunity and start taking precautions.

I think it was a mistake to give him the contract now.

There really wasn't any logical reason to do it. They didn't save money. They still had all the chips to "keep him" with the franchise tag next year. They get a whole YEAR of information on this guy's play ability after injury and another year to see if he can continue to stay out of trouble (something he's come very close to getting into a number of times).

If this is the example of the new "Steelers Way" Tombert wants to promote, so be it. I'm just not sure I think we are going to be winners heading down this path.

This^^ There was no reason to extend him now. I'm not worried as much about the off the field stuff but wait until you see if he can play at a high level before you give him that massive a contract. Just makes no sense.

The truth is since they ****** up with Worilds with the transition tag and giving him more value then they were willing to pay, next year we might have been on the hook having to use a tag on Worilds (franchise), Pouncey (transition tag, like Alex Mack got) and Heyward (defacto "5th-year" option tag at the average of 3rd - 25th highest paid D-linemen).

That's a lot of 1-year deals to sit on come March 1st. Of course, all it takes is a new deal for Ben Roethlisberger and another big increase in the cap number and maybe carry over $5 million in cap room from this year to next for you to have the room to do exactly that.

Maybe they felt the path they took with Worilds and the resultant failure to ink a long term deal with him forced their hand with Pouncey to get at least one under contract long-term. If that's the case, the Worilds tag is more a ****-up than meets the eye.

The truth is since they ****** up with Worilds with the transition tag and giving him more value then they were willing to pay, next year we might have been on the hook having to use a tag on Worilds (franchise), Pouncey (transition tag, like Alex Mack got) and Heyward (defacto "5th-year" option tag at the average of 3rd - 25th highest paid D-linemen).

That's a lot of 1-year deals to sit on come March 1st. Of course, all it takes is a new deal for Ben Roethlisberger and another big increase in the cap number and maybe carry over $5 million in cap room from this year to next for you to have the room to do exactly that.

Maybe they felt the path they took with Worilds and the resultant failure to ink a long term deal with him forced their hand with Pouncey to get at least one under contract long-term. If that's the case, the Worilds tag is more a ****-up than meets the eye.

I think they've screwed up in several different area. They tagged Worilds thinking they could sign him long term. Obviously they didn't have a good feel for how Worilds was going to play it. He rushes in and signs the tag and won't take any deal they offer. Then because they screwed the pooch on Worilds they sign Pouncey for top dollar in about half an hour. They've been doing this for years now. I can't for the life of me understand WTF they are thinking. They fall in love with some of their players and act like they hate the others. Lewis? **** him, don't even offer him a contract. Cotchery? I'm sure he'll be back. Woods? I'm sure he'll be back too. Sanders? No, we don't need no stinking 3rd rounder... we'll just pay him more money for ONE year and then let him leave.

I just don't understand what they are thinking at times.

Oh man...hate it when I get the spins.

I liked the spins. These days I don't drink enough to get them though.
Local sports radio guy over the weekend made two points. 1) We don't know for sure if they were involved and 2) the kind of people who are in Miami bars at 4am are the kind of people who would accuse an NFL player of hitting them so they can get some money.

so it's just one guy?

they can buy him off easy

.NFL Pro Bowl centers Pouncy twin brothers face assault claims

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. - Police are investigating battery claims made from a South Florida man who alleges twin brothers and NFL Pro Bowl centers, Mike and Maurkice Pouncey, assaulted him during their annual birthday party.

“There was an incident that occurred at Cameo last night at 4:20 a.m., where an alleged assault took place,” Bobby Hernandez told the Sun-Sentinel. “We have no information identifying them as being the culprits yet. Our detectives are involved and pulling surveillance video, and taking statements from witnesses.”.

http://m.heraldnet.com/heraldnet/db_287688/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Y55u9vBK&full=true#display

----------------------

nothing good happens at 4:20 am

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ouncey-night-club-assault-2014-free-hernandez

The Pouncey twins are the subject of an assault allegation stemming from their birthday party Friday in Miami Beach.

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey, fresh off a six-year contract extension, is being accused of assault stemming from an incident at a Miami Beach night club Friday evening, reports the Broward Palm Beach Post.

Maurkice Pouncey and his twin brother and Dolphins center Mike Pouncey, were said to have been celebrating their birthday party at Cameo - the same night club at which the pair wore their infamous "Free Hernandez" gear - a tribute to incarcerated former teammate at the University of Florida Aaron Hernandez, who's standing trial for multiple murders.

A man says that Dolphins center Mike Pouncey and his brother Maurkice assaulted him at Cameo Nightclub in Miami Beach last night, where the often-troubled Dolphins center and his twin behemoth brother were holding their annual birthday bash.

Putting on our reasonable hats (hat pun intended), it's not commonly the case an innocent bystander gets "jumped by four bouncers," let alone a pair of NFL players. That amount of people seems sufficient to move just about anyone from Point A to Point B. What exactly happened to necessitate that level of involvement is the better question.

The victim explains some of it in a video he posted on Instagram. Here's a transcript unedited (language warning): "I didn't know that stuff like this actually ******* happens to people. All I can remember is standing in a crowded club and this big guy keeps hitting me in my back, I look at him and I'm like, OK, he's obviously turned up. And he just keeps hitting me. I ignore it. I keep ignoring the guy -- he's calling me a ******. I realize that there's two of the guys. Now they're both in my face. The next thing I know, Honey tries to break it up. One of them punches Honey in the face, the other one punches me or the same one, I don't know. Security comes."

The second that thug wore a free hernandez jersey I'd have traded him to Miami. I hope the contract is very specific about giving back every penny of his bonus if he is involved with stupid crap like this.

Thug eh? Has he been arrested for something that I didn't hear about? Or did his prior actions just put you off? Btw, it looks like that "thug" isn't mentioned in the police incident report that was released this morning, so it appears (barring results of further investigation) that your clause wouldn't even be activated by a case that so far has been built on accusation, speculation and in the media (Ben says "Hi" btw).

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2014/07/pouncey-brothers-named-monday-morning-miami-beach-police-incident-report/

Thug eh? Has he been arrested for something that I didn't hear about? Or did his prior actions just put you off? Btw, it looks like that "thug" isn't mentioned in the police incident report that was released this morning, so it appears (barring results of further investigation) that your clause wouldn't even be activated by a case that so far has been built on accusation, speculation and in the media (Ben says "Hi" btw).

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2014/07/pouncey-brothers-named-monday-morning-miami-beach-police-incident-report/

Dude- you have people in this thread appalled that the guy was out at 4am on his birthday.. In the Offseason.

Then calling him a thug b/c some bouncers roughed up a guy?? Pissed because we extended him? But then are clamoring to extend Big Ben, whose past transgressions are much worse??

Needless to say, there certainly appears to be a dearth of logic and reason in the last 3 pages lol

Dude- you have people in this thread appalled that the guy was out at 4am on his birthday.. In the Offseason.

Then calling him a thug b/c some bouncers roughed up a guy?? Pissed because we extended him? But then are clamoring to extend Big Ben, whose past transgressions are much worse??

Needless to say, there certainly appears to be a dearth of logic and reason in the last 3 pages lol

****, I kinda almost pity them. Seems to me that there are a lot of people who never got out much in their twenties. Never had a drink at a bar. Never closed down a bar. Didn't party. Only focused on work, etc. I remember my twenties (been awhile) and I can remember many times not settling in to bed until the birds started chirping in the morning. Now, if I had been rich? Oooh boy, it might have been worse. Although I kinda think that maybe the parties would have been at my house rather than a bar (keep the "socialites" out that way).

In any event, I'm gonna wait to see if any "REAL" evidence is made connecting Maurkice to this "ALLEGED" incident before finding him guilty in the court of public opinion.

****, I kinda almost pity them. Seems to me that there are a lot of people who never got out much in their twenties. Never had a drink at a bar. Never closed down a bar. Didn't party. Only focused on work, etc. I remember my twenties (been awhile) and I can remember many times not settling in to bed until the birds started chirping in the morning. Now, if I had been rich? Oooh boy, it might have been worse. Although I kinda think that maybe the parties would have been at my house rather than a bar (keep the "socialites" out that way).

In any event, I'm gonna wait to see if any "REAL" evidence is made connecting Maurkice to this "ALLEGED" incident before finding him guilty in the court of public opinion.

Hey, I'm all for innocent until proven guilty. And I think this whole story is going to prove out to be BS. And it was their birthday, so by all means, I support them being able to be out and to party.

However...to several posters' points...the Pouncey twins, since coming to the NFL, have had moments of questionable judgment that should be cause for concern. Wearing clothing in support of Aaron Hernandez has nothing to do with alcohol, being out in a bar, or partying, as you allude to. Yet it is a pretty big red flag and statement about character that at the least should have us proceed with "caution" in judging these young men. Two guys that had impeccable character coming out of Florida, mind you...now appear to be...well...not the angels we maybe thought they were.

Nobody ... and I mean NOBODY ... is ever quite the angel we thought they were. As far as Maurkice goes he's had one verifiable moment of questionable character or at least questionable decision making and that's the Hernandez hat thing. Maybe it was an incident that screamed "caution, danger ahead" or maybe it was a young kid not thinking far enough ahead to see the inevitable conclusion of his actions. As far as Mike goes, I could care less about his MULTIPLE transgressions. He's not a Steeler. And to paint Maurkice with Mike's brush seems a little unfair and maybe agenda driven (not saying you are doing this, but some I believe are).

furthermore-

if 2 300 lb NFL lineman jump you along with some big *** bouncers your *** would airlifted to to the hospital- not crying to Instagram.
I'll reserve my judgment as well. The story seems very "shaky" at best right now. Perhaps the victim has video to prove he was accosted by two NFL centers and four bouncers???
I'm so glad this ******* got an extension from the Steelers. Hasn't played worth a **** since he was a rookie, was easily replaced with a guy sitting on his couch, and hangs out with scum bags.
Welcome back angry man...