• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Oh, those lovable Pouncey twins!

Nobody ... and I mean NOBODY ... is ever quite the angel we thought they were. As far as Maurkice goes he's had one verifiable moment of questionable character or at least questionable decision making and that's the Hernandez hat thing. Maybe it was an incident that screamed "caution, danger ahead" or maybe it was a young kid not thinking far enough ahead to see the inevitable conclusion of his actions. As far as Mike goes, I could care less about his MULTIPLE transgressions. He's not a Steeler. And to paint Maurkice with Mike's brush seems a little unfair and maybe agenda driven (not saying you are doing this, but some I believe are).

I agree with you, but I do think its fair to paint mike and Maurkice together. They seem to be very close and hang out alot. I would think that if Maurkice was not like that then he would not be hanging out with his bro. I also highly doubt he was forced to wear the Hernandez hat. I just have a feeling that Mike is more outspoken

I liked the spins. These days I don't drink enough to get them though.
Local sports radio guy over the weekend made two points. 1) We don't know for sure if they were involved and 2) the kind of people who are in Miami bars at 4am are the kind of people who would accuse an NFL player of hitting them so they can get some money.

M.O.B.

end of thread.

One thing that folks are missing with these guys is their celebrity status. Comparisons to your self and your drunken memories are not valid. It is doubtful that any of the posters had folks in a big city bar saying "Oh there is so and so he plays professional foot ball and is rich". These young men are in many ways trying to do what all other young men are doing and for the same reasons. The other young men are not targets of opportunity for *** holes both male and female.

The big reason for the character issue regarding the Pouncey twins is their association with Hernandez. It appears to have been more than casual or teammates from their actions. They appear to have been close enough to regularly do things together, it does not appear to be that way with most of the other players on that team. I suspect that the NFL is not doing a good enough job of preparing these kids for the new life style they just walked into. I know some teams put forth more effort than others but it is a very tough situation for these folks to deal with and after facing it come out of it unscathed.

Apparently its looking more and more like the Pounceys had nothing to do with this.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...ident-report-released-pouncey-brothers-named/

One thing that folks are missing with these guys is their celebrity status. Comparisons to your self and your drunken memories are not valid. It is doubtful that any of the posters had folks in a big city bar saying "Oh there is so and so he plays professional foot ball and is rich". These young men are in many ways trying to do what all other young men are doing and for the same reasons. The other young men are not targets of opportunity for *** holes both male and female.

The big reason for the character issue regarding the Pouncey twins is their association with Hernandez. It appears to have been more than casual or teammates from their actions. They appear to have been close enough to regularly do things together, it does not appear to be that way with most of the other players on that team. I suspect that the NFL is not doing a good enough job of preparing these kids for the new life style they just walked into. I know some teams put forth more effort than others but it is a very tough situation for these folks to deal with and after facing it come out of it unscathed.

One thing you are missing with their celebrity status is that they are young men in their twenties. Celebrity status or not, they are going to make some of the same mistakes that almost all of us do at that time. The major difference is that because of their status, their actions will be magnified. That being the case, I agree that the NFL/Teams/Agents someone should be better educating them about the fact that they will be targets. All in all it's a catch 22 for these kids unless they decide to live like football monks.

One thing you are missing with their celebrity status is that they are young men in their twenties. Celebrity status or not, they are going to make some of the same mistakes that almost all of us do at that time. The major difference is that because of their status, their actions will be magnified. That being the case, I agree that the NFL/Teams/Agents someone should be better educating them about the fact that they will be targets. All in all it's a catch 22 for these kids unless they decide to live like football monks.

I believe that if you read the third sentence you will see that I did not miss that point. There are precautions they can take, just like other celebrities do and they do not need to become monks, just become cautious.

I'll agree to that. Like I said earlier, instead of having a birthday party at a club, invite your friends to your home or rent a hall. Make it a truly private affair and limit the "socialites" "hangers on" etc.

I'll agree to that. Like I said earlier, instead of having a birthday party at a club, invite your friends to your home or rent a hall. Make it a truly private affair and limit the "socialites" "hangers on" etc.
There is no point in being young and rich and partying if other people can't see you spending money and wish they were you.

There is no point in being young and rich and partying if other people can't see you spending money and wish they were you.

LOL ... except maybe to live to be OLDER, RICHER and WISER ... but what young person is worrying about that when they're partying eh?

LOL ... except maybe to live to be OLDER, RICHER and WISER ... but what young person is worrying about that when they're partying eh?
Shaddup and tell the waiter to bring us another case of Cristal.

As far as Maurkice goes he's had one verifiable moment of questionable character or at least questionable decision making and that's the Hernandez hat thing. Maybe it was an incident that screamed "caution, danger ahead" or maybe it was a young kid not thinking far enough ahead to see the inevitable conclusion of his actions.

You're pretty sure of your facts? This isn't just about wearing a Hernandez hat. It's about being present on the nights Hernandez was accused of murder (no, I'm not accusing him of murder, but the Pounceys are certainly poor judges of character, it appears): http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...urkice-pouncey-aaron-hernandez-shootings-2007

As far as Mike goes, I could care less about his MULTIPLE transgressions. He's not a Steeler. And to paint Maurkice with Mike's brush seems a little unfair and maybe agenda driven (not saying you are doing this, but some I believe are).

They are twins. They aren't normal siblings. I think Mike's character reflects on his brother, and vice versa. I have no agenda. I'm a Steeler fan and I've no ill-will toward the Pounceys. But they have shown me enough to be very very cautious.

I mean...Mike still has Aaron's jersey proudly hanging in his abode: http://nesn.com/2014/05/dolphins-mike-pouncey-has-framed-aaron-hernandez-jersey-in-his-house-photo/

would have loved to be on a board like this when Ernie Holmes went nuts and shot at the police helicopter....

I'll be more pissed if he was involved and wasn't able to beat the guy unconscious. The Steelers training staff sucks.

You're pretty sure of your facts? This isn't just about wearing a Hernandez hat. It's about being present on the nights Hernandez was accused of murder (no, I'm not accusing him of murder, but the Pounceys are certainly poor judges of character, it appears): http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...urkice-pouncey-aaron-hernandez-shootings-2007

They are twins. They aren't normal siblings. I think Mike's character reflects on his brother, and vice versa. I have no agenda. I'm a Steeler fan and I've no ill-will toward the Pounceys. But they have shown me enough to be very very cautious.

I mean...Mike still has Aaron's jersey proudly hanging in his abode: http://nesn.com/2014/05/dolphins-mike-pouncey-has-framed-aaron-hernandez-jersey-in-his-house-photo/
Doesn't matter. There could be a dozen friggen' security camera videos showing Hernandez loading the gun, pulling the trigger, and burying the body, and it wouldn't matter because he's the Pouncey brothers' BOY. And you stick up for your boy no matter what. If he's guilty it doesn't matter, the other guy probably had it coming because he's your BOY. I live in an integrated neighborhood, err, I mean 'hood.

Gangster.jpg

From the link supplied by you in regards to the 2007 shooting:

"Reports do not suggest either Pouncey brother as having been a part of the alleged shooting, but Nelson spelled out a connection between them and the victim. Neither were named in the police report for any reason outside one of them (it says "one of the Pouncey twins") owned a necklace that was allegedly stolen by Cason."
Seems to also indicate that neither twin was with Hernandez at the time of the shooting. Rather that they were at the club with him prior to the shooting.

As far as the they are twins argument. Does that mean that if Mike Pouncey bullies a teammate Maurkice is somehow responsible or accountable? I think Mike's character reflects on Mike and Maurkice's character reflects on Maurkice. Your analysis leaves room for neither to be "his own man" because they are twins and therefore somehow mystically responsible each for the other's actions. As far as I know, when the Steelers drafted Maurkice, they didn't get two players for the price of one because they are twins.

From the link supplied by you in regards to the 2007 shooting:

"Reports do not suggest either Pouncey brother as having been a part of the alleged shooting, but Nelson spelled out a connection between them and the victim. Neither were named in the police report for any reason outside one of them (it says "one of the Pouncey twins") owned a necklace that was allegedly stolen by Cason."
Seems to also indicate that neither twin was with Hernandez at the time of the shooting. Rather that they were at the club with him prior to the shooting.

As far as the they are twins argument. Does that mean that if Mike Pouncey bullies a teammate Maurkice is somehow responsible or accountable? I think Mike's character reflects on Mike and Maurkice's character reflects on Maurkice. Your analysis leaves room for neither to be "his own man" because they are twins and therefore somehow mystically responsible each for the other's actions. As far as I know, when the Steelers drafted Maurkice, they didn't get two players for the price of one because they are twins.

Were the Pounceys with Hernandez on the night that he allegedly murdered someone? Check.

Are they twins, and are not twins typically bonded more closely than normal siblings? Check.

The Steelers did not get Mike Pouncey, of course, not that that mitigates any of my original position. Both, including Maurkice, have shown some poor judgment that anyone investing millions in said person should be leery of. Nothing more, nothing less. They've given us reason to question their character(s).

Were the Pounceys with Hernandez on the night that he allegedly murdered someone? Check.

Are they twins, and are not twins typically bonded more closely than normal siblings? Check.

The Steelers did not get Mike Pouncey, of course, not that that mitigates any of my original position. Both, including Maurkice, have shown some poor judgment that anyone investing millions in said person should be leery of. Nothing more, nothing less. They've given us reason to question their character(s).

I stand corrected. You sir are a verifiable genius.

This doeant make any sense. On all fronts.

I stand corrected. You sir are a verifiable genius.

LOL...it would appear, over the past 2 pages, that you simply want to argue - to argue. You've missed simple points I've made, such as "no, I'm not accusing him of murder, but the Pounceys are certainly poor judges of character" only to have you rebut that by saying the article I posted indicated that they were not a part of the shooting or named in the police report. Really? You put letters in bold to remind me that they had nothing to do with the murders when I specifically stated I'm not accusing them of murder, only for poor judgment and possible bad character? That's akin to me saying the sky is blue and you arguing that the sky is - blue.

And to that I'll point back to my original comments. I believe the night club story will be proven false, and they should be given the benefit of the doubt, but the Pounceys have shown questionable judgment (our own included) and it should be a cause for concern.

If those vague, non-accusatory feelings of mine have your panties in a bunch, well...enjoy the fit.

Last edited:
This doeant make any sense. On all fronts.

It's a pretty straight-forward read and ties into the prior points being made between Steel and I. Feel free to use the back button and read from the beginning of the exchange. Should make sense to you. If not, feel free to ask questions, to which I'll break it down in layman terms.

I've expressed concern over the judgment used by both Pounceys and some character issues we've seen, and have said it's a cause for concern. This apparently "offends" some people...

Note, I'm not stating they shouldn't be in bars, shouldn't be drinking, etc.

Ive read the whole thread. Doesnt make sense..

Alot of reaches

Ive read the whole thread. Doesnt make sense..

Alot of reaches

Me saying the Pounceys have shown poor judgment and exhibited questionable character is a reach? OK.

About the only questionable thing they've done together was the hat thing. Saying what Mike does on his own is a reflection on Maurkice because they are twins is a reach IMO. Saying their friendship with Hernandez is a reflection on them is a reach. They were friends and teammates way before Hernandez went off the deep end.

Last edited:
About the only questionable thing they've done together was the hat thing.

You say that as if it isn't a big deal. Considering who they are, and at the time the hats were worn, it was a substantial statement by both.

Saying what Mike does on his own is a reflection on Maurkice because they are twins is a reach IMO.

This is not what I said. Steel has attempted to draw a firm line in the sand - what Mike does and what Maurkice does aren't intertwined and don't affect the other. I pointed out that they are twins, and as such do more together, think more similarly, act more similarly, and behave more similarly than most siblings. They act like traditional twins and are often joined at the hip. I.e., they both wore the hats; they both were with Hernandez in 2007 when he allegedly committed murder; they shared their past birthday together (as I'm sure they do all birthdays) when they were most likely accused wrongly of assault...

If a son leaves the family home and shames himself, he shames his family. Roger used this same logic as partial basis to punish Ben...Ben's actions reflected poorly on the NFL. And similarly, Mike's actions reflect on Maurkice and vice versa. This does not mean that if Mike commits murder, you blame Maurkice. I hope you can see the difference.

Saying their friendship with Hernandez is a reflection on them is a reach. They were friends and teammates way before Hernandez went off the deep end.

Please point to where I've said their friendship with Hernandez is a reflection on them? I've pointed out their decision making with regards to Hernandez should be questioned, like wearing hats in support of him after he was accused of murder. You do realize it's possible for them to remain friends with Hernandez and condemn his actions? Instead, they wear "FREE HERNANDEZ" hats in public?

I said wearing the hats were questionable. They are twins yes. Yes they do things together. Doesnt mean they are the same. Each has his own personality Im sure. I hope you can understand that. What one does as a reflectiin on the other has limits. Apparently Mike is an ******* in the locker room. Maurkice is apparently the exact opposite.

I agree they could of showed their support of Hernandez differently but sometimes young men make questionable decisions..I know I did.