• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Optimistic about our LB's!

steelbush

Reaction score
As our LB's go, the Steelers go. With that being said I am so stoked about our LB core this year. When the Steelers LB's are dominating, the Steelers are dominating. I predict the starting LB's to be Jarvis Jones, Jason Worilds, Lawrence Timmons, and Shazier. What a young athletic group! We all saw what Worilds did last year, when healthy, he has produced when given the opportunities. Timmons is just Timmons, always solid in my opinion and tough as nails. If Jarvis can put things together this year, which I KNOW he will, this core of LB's could dominate. IMO Shazier will start and will have good games and bad games but his athleticism will keep him in most plays. All of a sudden a weakness became a strength in matter of a couple years. I'm so excited to see this unit this year. For all the Jarvis haters...you will eat your words this year. I saw the potential last year and I think with the extra year under his belt we will all be happy with the results.

OLBS=Worlids, JJ, Moats . . .with Carter and H. Jones fighting for the one back up spot still open.
ILBS=Timmons, Shazier, V. Williams . . .with Garvin, Spence and Zumwalt fighting for the last spot.

Its possible we could keep less than 8 LBS this year as more than one of these guys have the ability to play inside and outside-Moats, Timmons and Garvin for sure. Shazier played outside in college and ive read our coaches think Zumwalt might be able to play both also. He who excels at special teams will gain the edge.

As our LB's go, the Steelers go. With that being said I am so stoked about our LB core this year. When the Steelers LB's are dominating, the Steelers are dominating. I predict the starting LB's to be Jarvis Jones, Jason Worilds, Lawrence Timmons, and Shazier. What a young athletic group! We all saw what Worilds did last year, when healthy, he has produced when given the opportunities. Timmons is just Timmons, always solid in my opinion and tough as nails. If Jarvis can put things together this year, which I KNOW he will, this core of LB's could dominate. IMO Shazier will start and will have good games and bad games but his athleticism will keep him in most plays. All of a sudden a weakness became a strength in matter of a couple years. I'm so excited to see this unit this year. For all the Jarvis haters...you will eat your words this year. I saw the potential last year and I think with the extra year under his belt we will all be happy with the results.

As they say we shall see. We have lots of unproven players there. Those are some of the toughest positions to play as well. We have one who has proven he can not reliably call the defense cause we kept foot, an unproven though promising player, a one year veteran that already has some fans calling him a bust, and a rookie who was promising in college. Following these guys we have a couple of ho hums, a veteran we picked up for depth, an undrafted free agent, a very late round pick that is a project, and a player that has only played in preseason who suffered a near crippling injury. Now if these guys all break out this year we could have something but I think some will improve and some will have to deal with rookie mistakes. I suspect like all teams rebuilding we will have flashes of brilliance interspersed with bouts of mediocrity this year and another draft with high picks.

As they say we shall see. We have lots of unproven players there. Those are some of the toughest positions to play as well. We have one who has proven he can not reliably call the defense cause we kept foot, an unproven though promising player, a one year veteran that already has some fans calling him a bust, and a rookie who was promising in college. Following these guys we have a couple of ho hums, a veteran we picked up for depth, an undrafted free agent, a very late round pick that is a project, and a player that has only played in preseason who suffered a near crippling injury. Now if these guys all break out this year we could have something but I think some will improve and some will have to deal with rookie mistakes. I suspect like all teams rebuilding we will have flashes of brilliance interspersed with bouts of mediocrity this year and another draft with high picks.

We all of a sudden became young and athletic in matter of a couple years. Out of all the LB's my doubts lie with Worilds. I truly believe Jarvis turns the corner this year and improves dramatically. Worilds is the wild-card. We are paying him a lot of money for slightly above average numbers. If he can duplicate that output and Jarvis comes around this unit could be dominating. Additionally the depth of Moats, Williams, and Zumwalt....I like what I see, kudos to Steelers FO.

so ,,,,,, WTF are they going to do with jones and that contract? This needs its own thread,, but no need to start a new one.

1 year 9 mil.. Will they extend/renegotiate? Or are they going to play out the year and see what he does?

Could get even more expensive.? Im optimistic for Howard Jones to show something and have a viable replacement in case this doesn't all pan out (ie,,, worlids wants too much money,,, or Uncle Jarvis doesn't polish up real nice.) But this is hopeful thinking.

I think two or three of those guys are going to be practice squaded at best. I will be amazed if Jones contributes off the bat. We are counting on Worilds to play at last years second half levels all season long and for JJ to make leaps and bounds ahead. Im just not seeing the depth right away. I think next year this draft does wonders for us, but right now... Im not as optimistic. and that is with zero injuries

Need to get Worilds signed to a cap friendly and Steeler friendly deal before the season. If he has a good year this year and we don't have a deal done, my guess is he is gone next year. We can't break the bank on him or anyone at this point. I also hope Jones comes to camp with close to 10 lbs of muscle added to his frame. 5 to 10 lbs of muscle in an offseason is about all you can expect. He can then still get stronger and that is the key.

optimism is not allowed on this board.

Hopefully this surplus of bodies at linebacker will at least trickle down to improved special teams play, especially since our kicker is not exactly a touchback machine...

Dude, you got problems. Why aren't you miserable and angry like the rest of us? :cool: Two mediocre seasons in a row tend to do that.

very firm believer in Opportunist, we've got the makings, this year!!!! I know, there is the IF, HOPE, & WHAT? But these questions, remain every year. Will troy play a full season, does Ben stay upright, you get the drift. I give this draft, anywhere, in the B's, last couple, have seemed like D's. So we have some looking forward to do, and just maybe, wee'll get it.

Salute the nation

Still think Jeffcoat was worth drafting. I wanted him late. Could have been nice depth. At least we could have pushed harder to bring him to us as an UDFA. If tons of underclassmen are going to enter, plus Goodell wants the draft to be 4 days now, we may as well add a round 8 to the draft.

Still think Jeffcoat was worth drafting. I wanted him late. Could have been nice depth. At least we could have pushed harder to bring him to us as an UDFA. If tons of underclassmen are going to enter, plus Goodell wants the draft to be 4 days now, we may as well add a round 8 to the draft.

There are 8 rounds already. The league awards 32 comp picks every year.

Nonsense. The Steelers didn't draft him, so he's garbage, because Steelers.

I'm sure they will add a round or two. Gooddel likes to tinker. He allready wants 4 days of the draft. I'm sure he will add at least 1 round.

Thursday-round 1
friday 2-3
sat 4-5
Sunday 6-8

They can not add more rounds to the draft due to CBA in place with the union. Only way to add more rounds would be to negotiate it into the next labor agreement.

rosters should be expanded.