• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

outlaw bridges

As an old crane operator, I couldn't help but notice that the crane on the left may have been the culprit ( or accomplice ). If you'll notice, the bridge comes down on that side but even closer inspection reveals that the crane remains stationary while the bridge collapses. Look at the swing weights on that crane and you'll also notice that they are going down as the bridge goes down. If that crane was doing it's job, it would have been pulled over or at least rocked off balance.

My opinion is that either the brake failed or the operator released the brake from the load. The only other explanation I can fathom is a fault in construction at the point of support while the crane was still hooked to the load without support. It is not common practice to be hooked to a load with the drum not in gear, too easy to hurt someone. Until free from the area operators don't use a manual free fall brake.

Come to think about it, free fall was best saved for dropping the hook into the coke barrel while the riggers were getting warm.....Bwahahahaha good times.

Last edited:
They are really pushing women and minorities into engineering now. Apparently bridges are stronger when when built by diverse people instead of the best possible people.

So women and minorities can't be the best people......?

Why do I EVER call any of you racist? I am just so wrong.....

Meanwhile at my company we have 8 engineers holding over a dozen patents(shared of course) on everything from GPS to AI embedded in "autonomous anthropomorphized infantry drones" not one of them is white.

Keep living in the 1960's though.....

Last edited:
Meanwhile at my company we have 8 engineers holding over a dozen patents.....
...8? Is that just you or do you mean 8 individuals?

Meanwhile at my company we have 8 engineers holding over a dozen patents(shared of course) on everything from GPS to AI embedded in "autonomous anthropomorphized infantry drones" not one of them is white.

are you really that dese to think that is what he is saying. He means the best people. white black indian it doesn't matter what they are as long as the are the best qualified people.

are you really that dese to think that is what he is saying. He means the best people. white black indian it doesn't matter what they are as long as the are the best qualified people.

Let's not let common sense get in the way of the agenda. I'm all for everyone getting a fair shake, but qualified should actually mean qualified.

And if they aren't, it should motivate them to work harder to get there.

That is not even remotely close to what he said, and you know it you piece of ****.

of course they can. I wasn't implying that and you know it. It's just a cheap tactic to try to win an argument without having it.

There are smart people of all races. But liberals have a problem if they are not the best person in the correct ratio.

It's happening everywhere now, just make sure the proper mix of all diversities are in every job in every college, etc. It feels great to point to the admissions at Harvard and show that they have X% black students. The dirty secret is that black students have a high college dropout rate and elite schools. They could have gotten a good degree at a perfectly fine public school but instead they were placed at a school that was too much for them.

Of course there are individuals of all ethnic backgrounds that are smart and can handle ivy league schools. But when you lower the admission standards, the good intentions put kids in bad situations.

The same is true in some industries. Some jobs are unskilled and almost anybody can be trained up to do them. But other skilled jobs like engineering, require the best and brightest and not just a pre-determined demographic mix. There are real world consequences.

Hmmmm?

Why not? Just curious...

Quinn reporting that the college president talked a lot about "diversity" when opening construction on said bridge. Just sayin'.

Diversity is fine so long as in that diverse group, they are the best qualified. Hiring for diversity's sake is a recipe for failure.

Did they call InventHelp? InventHelp is teaming up with George Foreman to help people get their ideas in front of companies and obtain patents.