• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pat Freiermuth vs. Creed Humphrey

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am getting a little tired of seeing Kendrick Green getting shoved into the backfield like a shopping cart. I also think Pat Freiermuth is a good player, possibly develops into a very good player. But I watched the first 3 quarters of the Raiders-Chiefs game last night and focused on KC's 2nd round pick, center Creed Humphrey. Dude never missed a shotgun snap, absolutely stoned any nose tackle he faced on passing plays, sealed off the DT's on running plays, and looks like he is going to be a very, very good C for the next ten years.

PFF rankings are odd at times, yeah, I get it, but that site ranks Humphrey as the best center in the NFL right now.

Humphrey's measurables coming into the draft were off-the-charts.

He was a fixture on Oklahoma's offensive line for three seasons, no significant collegiate injuries, dominated at the Senior Bowl, had those amazing testing numbers, and has started at center for a good team since day one.

You can love Freiermuth all you want, but Creed Humphrey is going to be a star and is much, much better than "Shopping Cart" Green.

I'm a Penn State alumnus, and I really like Freiermuth, but Creed would have been my second round choice as well. Without hesitation. I'm talking "Pick Is In" status within a matter of a few seconds.

Yeah, and a huge reason for my post is how terrible Green has been this year. He is getting abused by nose tackles. His shotgun snaps yesterday were awful. I am NOT looking forward to Green facing the Ravens D-line. I fear he will give up ground faster than the French infantry.

The Steelers fall in love with "athletic" on the offensive line. I'd like to see them get some maulers for a change.
Aging QB, athletic but bruising RB .... Quit trying to be cute and just get some guys who not only have a nasty demeanor, but the sand in their pants to back it up. Tired of having ballerinas on the OL who can't really run or pass block.

Freirmuth has more than proven he was the correct choice, we likely would have a losing record without his clutch catches over the past few games. But you could make an argument that there were better options at center still available when we drafted Green in the 3rd.

I am thinking we picked the wrong Alabama player in the first and I love Najee.

I am getting a little tired of seeing Kendrick Green getting shoved into the backfield like a shopping cart. I also think Pat Freiermuth is a good player, possibly develops into a very good player. But I watched the first 3 quarters of the Raiders-Chiefs game last night and focused on KC's 2nd round pick, center Creed Humphrey. Dude never missed a shotgun snap, absolutely stoned any nose tackle he faced on passing plays, sealed off the DT's on running plays, and looks like he is going to be a very, very good C for the next ten years.

PFF rankings are odd at times, yeah, I get it, but that site ranks Humphrey as the best center in the NFL right now.

Humphrey's measurables coming into the draft were off-the-charts.

He was a fixture on Oklahoma's offensive line for three seasons, no significant collegiate injuries, dominated at the Senior Bowl, had those amazing testing numbers, and has started at center for a good team since day one.

You can love Freiermuth all you want, but Creed Humphrey is going to be a star and is much, much better than "Shopping Cart" Green.
Yeah, Humphrey was my pick in my mock along mock. Nothing against Muth and his play has softened the blow of how awesome Creed is and will be. But Green needs to get way stronger at the point and needs to work on his snaps. I’m not giving up on him but there’s a lot of work left. I did have Green as a sleeper in the 5th. So looking at his play I would still say 5th was his value. He’s had good plays so the ability is there. We just need consistency and strength.

So if Green can end the season on a positive note and can commit this off-season I think there’s a good chance he can be a long term center. If he doesn’t then we likely are looking for a new center in a season or two.

The smart move would have been to trade out of the first. Then get Creed and Pat in rd 2. Then in rd 3 you draft RB Trey Sermon or Michael Carter.

I'd have taken Najee where we did. Otherwise, he might be a Jaguar, Bill or Bronco. He was the definite best player available. and at a position of need.

Creed absolutely, without a doubt, should have been our 2nd pick. Without hesitation. 6-5, 312? Hell yes. That's exactly what we needed. Instead, we have an over-inflated ewok. As much as I like Muth, it's possible that he'd have even made it to our pick in the 3rd. Even if he wasn't, that would have forced us to take Spencer Brown (LT) or Ben Cleveland (OG) also at positions of need. Which would have eliminated Trai Turner from being signed (addition by subtraction).

I wish I knew why we chose to take an undersized OG and force him into a different position in the NFL.

If our coaching staff continues to use Muth in the method we have this season then that is a huge wasted draft pick. If the staff decides to utilize him the way they should, then I still like the pick for the long term. He and Najee are 2 good pieces to build around, especially for a young QB going forward.

Look i get that Harris is a beast, but had we traded down in the first we could have gotten an extra second and probably got both…

Te and C typically play to their mid 30’s so they have about the same value… i dont mind taking muuth, but when you select an undersized guard to convert to center, get a freaking ufa stopgap in here till he is ready

Kendrick will be a great center, yinz are judging him wayyy to early considering his inexperience at the position. A year of starting combined with an offseason of proper strength training and nutrition will do wonders for the kid, same with Moore. They will be fixtures for a long time.

Kendrick will be a great center, yinz are judging him wayyy to early considering his inexperience at the position. A year of starting combined with an offseason of proper strength training and nutrition will do wonders for the kid, same with Moore. They will be fixtures for a long time.
Yes butvthat doesn’t mean he should be starting as a rookie… dawson didn’t jump right into center… the gave him a year at guard to acclimate… we could have brought in a center and not had tge least experienced line ever starting the season

Yes butvthat doesn’t mean he should be starting as a rookie… dawson didn’t jump right into center… the gave him a year at guard to acclimate… we could have brought in a center and not had tge least experienced line ever starting the season
Let's be honest, would you rather he learn, protecting a QB one step away from retiring, or one who has a whole career ahead of him. Brutal I know but I would rather it be this way. At least Ben is experienced enough to protect himself better than a rookie. I will take our lumps this year and have a young experienced line to protect the new guy.

Let's be honest, would you rather he learn, protecting a QB one step away from retiring, or one who has a whole career ahead of him. Brutal I know but I would rather it be this way. At least Ben is experienced enough to protect himself better than a rookie. I will take our lumps this year and have a young experienced line to protect the new guy.
Id rather he be ready when he plays… and frankly he is not… he needs to add muscle and weight for leverage against bigger dts and he still makes too many critical mistakes… whiffs blocking downfield, holding at the worse times… missing blocks…

Id rather he be ready when he plays… and frankly he is not… he needs to add muscle and weight for leverage against bigger dts and he still makes too many critical mistakes… whiffs blocking downfield, holding at the worse times… missing blocks…
I agree with most of that except I am totally ok with him starting and learning on the job rather than being physically ready but not mentally. He has too much to learn with his recent conversion to wait until next year to play him. If Ben gets killed it doesn't hurt us down the road. Again I know that is a brutally honest opinion but it is what it is.

I’m not going to complain about the drafting of Friermuth or Harris. Without Ben yesterday, they were the best offensive players on the field. Where this team doomed itself draft wise was trading up for Devin Bush.

Might as well look at the future.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 30 (G.B.): Nicholas PetitFrere, OT, Ohio State (A)
Round 2 Pick 21: Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State (A+)
Round 2 Pick 32 (ARI): Jaquan Brisker, FS/SS, Penn State (A)
Round 3 Pick 23: Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh (A+)
Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Emil Ekiyor, OG, Alabama (A+)
Round 4 Pick 33 (G.B.): Steven Gilmore, CB, Marshall (A+)
Round 5 Pick 35 (COMP): Christopher Allen, DE/OLB, Alabama (A+)
Round 7 Pick 4: Julius Coates, DE/DT, Texas Tech (A+)
Round 7 Pick 22: Matthew Butler, DT, Tennessee (A+)
Round 7 Pick 38 (ARI): DJordan Strong, CB, Coastal Carolina (A+)

Might as well look at the future.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 30 (G.B.): Nicholas PetitFrere, OT, Ohio State (A)
Round 2 Pick 21: Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State (A+)
Round 2 Pick 32 (ARI): Jaquan Brisker, FS/SS, Penn State (A)
Round 3 Pick 23: Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh (A+)
Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Emil Ekiyor, OG, Alabama (A+)
Round 4 Pick 33 (G.B.): Steven Gilmore, CB, Marshall (A+)
Round 5 Pick 35 (COMP): Christopher Allen, DE/OLB, Alabama (A+)
Round 7 Pick 4: Julius Coates, DE/DT, Texas Tech (A+)
Round 7 Pick 22: Matthew Butler, DT, Tennessee (A+)
Round 7 Pick 38 (ARI): DJordan Strong, CB, Coastal Carolina (A+)
Pickett will not last to round 3 if he keeps playing the way he has been. Several of those names will be drafted higher than what you are hoping.

Pickett will not last to round 3 if he keeps playing the way he has been. Several of those names will be drafted higher than what you are hoping.
I didn’t set the prospect rankings, just drafted. Too early to say where anyone will be drafted though.

Creed isn't as athletic as Green, but he still gets to the second level after slipping and moves a defender out of the way. What may missed is Trey Smith, another guy the Steelers should've taken, just toss a Raiders' defensive lineman like a rag doll.

Creed is a people mover, a true tone setter on the offensive line and he's a rookie.