• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Penguins 23-24

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
We talk about it all the time with respect to the Steelers and how trying to make players fit a scheme doesn't work. You have to make the scheme fit the players you have. Much tougher proposition from a coaching standpoint but what needs to happen on the ice just as it does on the gridiron. Amazed that Sully hasn't been let go yet as he seems to have been trying to hammer that square peg into a round hole with a pile driver for quite awhile now.
Sullivan seems to be stubborn. Winning two cups will do that.
Their system did change to a more puck control team that last 2 months. They’re good at winning faceoffs, and were controlling the blue line rather than just dump & chase. It’s not like it’s hard to install an entirely different system in season. That falls on Sullivan for sure.

But he also has $12 million in cap space to work with. That is easily 2-3 wbs players.
I’d expect him to be on a short leash going into next season

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Their system did change to a more puck control team that last 2 months.
This is just a pisser. Why so late in the game? It's like Tomlin cutting a crappy Matt Canada after 2.5 years. Whoopie ding. If someone sucks, cut bait. If something sucks, cut bait. I just don't get it.

This feels like heresy, but I hope Geno doesn't come back, and I probably feel the same way about Letang.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
This is just a pisser. Why so late in the game? It's like Tomlin cutting a crappy Matt Canada after 2.5 years. Whoopie ding. If someone sucks, cut bait. If something sucks, cut bait. I just don't get it.

This feels like heresy, but I hope Geno doesn't come back, and I probably feel the same way about Letang.
I'd like to keep the Geno who had an awesome couple games with his parents in the stands. That Geno is rare though. They say he carries the weight of the team on his shoulders when things are not going well but his body language says exactly the opposite. I'd be perfectly fine letting him go and maybe he can be captain on another squad.

Letang was definitely wearing out there at the end but they said he was hurt. I wouldn't mind trading him to another team either and get a high round pick. He probably would be a great compliment to a team that is already strong defensively.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

Coaches are stubborn. They push their philosophy based off past successes, complacency, comfort and a fear of change.

Smart coaches adapt with what they have. I think the Pens figured it out late.

str8liner

Reaction score
We end up with a Rangers Bruins final in the East and I will be pulling for whoever comes out of the West to win it all.......Really wanted to see Jake make the Final with the Canes but that ending last night sucked. He had 2 goals to boot. Hopefully the Panthers can get going tonight and even up the score with the Bruins.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
We end up with a Rangers Bruins final in the East and I will be pulling for whoever comes out of the West to win it all.......Really wanted to see Jake make the Final with the Canes but that ending last night sucked. He had 2 goals to boot. Hopefully the Panthers can get going tonight and even up the score with the Bruins.
I’d like to see Florida, Vancouver, Carolina or Colorado to win it all

str8liner

Reaction score
Bruins Panthers last night was fun. Lots of bad blood and fights all over the place at then end. Should be interesting tomorrow night.

Reactions: JMM

Steelmann

Reaction score
Bruins Panthers last night was fun. Lots of bad blood and fights all over the place at then end. Should be interesting tomorrow night.
I know you old farts out east can’t stay up to watch Vancouver play. But you really missed an incredible game and comeback last night. Great game, playoff hockey is the best sport. Bruins and Panthers beat the **** out of each other. Old school hockey. Will either of them have anything left when it’s over

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
I know you old farts out east can’t stay up to watch Vancouver play. But you really missed an incredible game and comeback last night. Great game, playoff hockey is the best sport. Bruins and Panthers beat the **** out of each other. Old school hockey. Will either of them have anything left when it’s over
Vancouver? I've heard of that place. It's off I-81 right? They have a really good McDonald's.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Canes tied it up with an ENG. Going to OT... The announcers couldn't believe it. No doubt they want the Rags to win. TNT's intermission is beyond bad. It's Hank the Tank bad.

Go Canes!!
And I gave up. Actually, reading a good book, so I wanted to do that more.

Reactions: JMM

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Go Oilers!!

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Go Oilers!!
You wonder when they're going to get over the hump..McDavid and Draisaitl both had 4 point nights.

If they don't do it this year, they should trade him to the Penguins. He would get better exposure for the league and win some cups. I'm just looking out for him..lol.

str8liner

Reaction score
I like the way the Stars look. They can roll 4 lines and can play the vaunted structured defense and shut teams down. They look to me like Vegas did last year.

Steelmann

Reaction score
So, you must be aware that the Canucks actually have very few, while the Oilers are almost all Canucks.
I never said anything about birthplace of rosters and Not sure what that has to do with me voting for the team of the city I have lived in all my life. That would be the day someone born in Vancouver votes for an Edmonton team over theirs. If they are the last Canadian team in the hunt…..definitely.
And yes I am very aware. It’s pissed me off for decades of the way they’ve drafted. And you can see the limited success they’ve had because of it. For some reason they rarely even draft anyone in BC. Despite the huge amount of talent. It’s infuriating.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
I never said anything about birthplace of rosters and Not sure what that has to do with me voting for the team of the city I have lived in all my life. That would be the day someone born in Vancouver votes for an Edmonton team over theirs. If they are the last Canadian team in the hunt…..definitely.
And yes I am very aware. It’s pissed me off for decades of the way they’ve drafted. And you can see the limited success they’ve had because of it. For some reason they rarely even draft anyone in BC. Despite the huge amount of talent. It’s infuriating.
Like I said, Go Oilers!!!

Has a Euro-team like the Canucks (ironic, eh) ever won the Cup?