• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pickens says he was snubbed for Pro Bowl...

I think much like with Bryant everyone knows the real issues with these players but the Steelers are willing to take a chance for under drafted talent at a bargain price with certain types of off field issues. Hope George turns out better then Martavis. He is a hell of a talent.

I think much like with Bryant everyone knows the real issues with these players but the Steelers are willing to take a chance for under drafted talent at a bargain price with certain types of off field issues. Hope George turns out better then Martavis. He is a hell of a talent.

Bryant couldn’t get off the ConchO weed. He also got hooked on “poison frog” treatments.

I don’t know George well enough to predict his “vises” but if he ends up a Pro-Bowler and a Super Bowl champion, I’d be plumb happy.

I set goals for myself all the time, especially when I‘m competing. It’s not out of line to set them high.

Salute the nation

I think we are a little gun shy but I think the FO is too. Which I don't think they will allow another AB type situation. Claypool was rumored to have some locker room issues and was quickly jettisoned.
Totally different issue there… Claypool’s sloppy routes and attempts to always take his routes deeper than they were drawn up was causing incomplete passes and interceptions…

Getting what we put in for him was just us cutting bait hoping that him running into coverage or running coverage into plays was significantly stifling the offense… attempted addition by subtraction… had he been providing splash plays they might have overlooked it… but he wasn’t and they moved on

Every single team takes those chances because most wrs are headcases… this isn’t something new… it was diagnosed in the 70’s… the wr position tends to attract narcissistic spotlight hounds… it sounds weird but most positions have a psychological profile that fits quite well…

Bryant couldn’t get off the ConchO weed. He also got hooked on “poison frog” treatments.

I don’t know George well enough to predict his “vises” but if he ends up a Pro-Bowler and a Super Bowl champion, I’d be plumb happy.

I set goals for myself all the time, especially when I‘m competing. It’s not out of line to set them high.

Salute the nation
Pretty sure his Concho problem is intertwined with his mental health. You know many people who would pass up 5million for the CFL ir XFL if they are in a right state.
Setting a pro bowl goal this year is an ambitious goal. Saying he was snubbed last year is a dilusion.

Every single team takes those chances because most wrs are headcases… this isn’t something new… it was diagnosed in the 70’s… the wr position tends to attract narcissistic spotlight hounds… it sounds weird but most positions have a psychological profile that fits quite well…
Not saying they shouldn't take a chance
Just saying when 1st round talent falls to 3rd or lower its an injury or personal issues.

Wonder if he is going to freak out when he is not voted team captian

Like all of you are saying, You have to walk the walk, before you can talk the talk. Just because you make the catch of the year one time, does not mean Too much, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. NFL is a league of what have you done for me lately, so pull up your pants big boys and show us how good yous really are.....words of wisdom for all PLAYERS!

Salute the Nation

Not saying they shouldn't take a chance
Just saying when 1st round talent falls to 3rd or lower its an injury or personal issues.
Nah scout’s barely know what’s going on in reality… every draft would look nothing alike if you redrafted it with what you know five or ten years later… its a crapshoot… pickens probably fell more based on route running than anything else… teams are suckers for that skill in this era… but he is young and can improve there rapidly… there is a reason why in older eras teams rarely let rookie wrs play… it takes a minute to adjust to Dbs you can’t just outright beat on pure athleticism every week

Nah scout’s barely know what’s going on in reality… every draft would look nothing alike if you redrafted it with what you know five or ten years later… its a crapshoot… pickens probably fell more based on route running than anything else… teams are suckers for that skill in this era… but he is young and can improve there rapidly… there is a reason why in older eras teams rarely let rookie wrs play… it takes a minute to adjust to Dbs you can’t just outright beat on pure athleticism every week

Wasn’t Pickens coming off an injury also ? Part of the “drop” reason, I think.

Definately a crapshoot on the player mentality / maturity / knowledge / humble / etc…….

Salute the nation

52 catches and 801 yards and he says he was snubbed for the Pro Bowl. I think he can be freakishly good, but buckle up. He's a head case waiting to happen.

Not saying that I think Pickens was worthy of a Pro Bowl selection, but those 801 yards came on just 84 targets. That 9.54 yards per target number ranked Pickens in the top ten among wide receivers, and 8th for those with at least 50 receptions. Here are the seven guys who finished ahead of him:

1) 11.5 Jaylen Waddle
2) 10.3 AJ Brown
3) 10.1 Tyreek Hill
4) 9.9 Terry McLaurin
5) 9.8 Justin Jefferson
6) 9.7 Jerry Jeudy
7) 9.6 Mike Williams

Pretty remarkable, given the pop-gun nature of the Steelers' passing offense under Matt Canada last season.

Not saying that I think Pickens was worthy of a Pro Bowl selection, but those 801 yards came on just 84 targets. That 9.54 yards per target number ranked Pickens in the top ten among wide receivers, and 8th for those with at least 50 receptions. Here are the seven guys who finished ahead of him:

1) 11.5 Jaylen Waddle
2) 10.3 AJ Brown
3) 10.1 Tyreek Hill
4) 9.9 Terry McLaurin
5) 9.8 Justin Jefferson
6) 9.7 Jerry Jeudy
7) 9.6 Mike Williams

Pretty remarkable, given the pop-gun nature of the Steelers' passing offense under Matt Canada last season.

Great post topseed !!!!

That is a hellA good stat to have in your corner. Like topseed said, “the” O’Canada factor as well.

Salute the nation

1) 11.5 Jaylen Waddle
2) 10.3 AJ Brown
3) 10.1 Tyreek Hill
4) 9.9 Terry McLaurin
5) 9.8 Justin Jefferson
6) 9.7 Jerry Jeudy
7) 9.6 Mike Williams

Good stuff. I'm looking for all his numbers to double in 2023.

If Pickens has 1600yards the Steelers are likely a crappy team.
How do you figure? I realize those things happen, but how do you reach the "likely" part? You think ground and pound is the only path to the playoffs? Virtually every team in the tournament last year would protest otherwise.

How do you figure? I realize those things happen, but how do you reach the "likely" part? You think ground and pound is the only path to the playoffs? Virtually every team in the tournament last year would protest otherwise.
The Steelers don't have a QB like the teams in the tournament last year. To me 200 yards per game is the formula for the Steelers 150 on the ground 200-250 in the air and that simply doesn't translate to 1600 yards by a receiver on their roster.

I said this last year and I'm going to say it again. This kid has a mental health issue. And it isn't narcissism or whatever AB has going. It's a severe anxiety disorder. And trust me I know what that looks like. The tell tale is the face mask balaclava he wears in the middle of friggen July. People see kids walking around with their hoodie up and don't know why. Same thing. It's called cocooning and is a sure sign. Now you add strange boastfulness..... I'm all but certain. Hopefully he is or looking to get treated.
I’m not saying you’re wrong because I don’t know, but I do know that wearing balaclavas is becoming something of a fashion trend these days. I can’t understand it, especially in the summer months, but it is getting more and more popular for some reason. Just another dumb fad in America.

I’m not saying you’re wrong because I don’t know, but I do know that wearing balaclavas is becoming something of a fashion trend these days. I can’t understand it, especially in the summer months, but it is getting more and more popular for some reason. Just another dumb fad in America.
Time will tell. And an anxiety disorder is readily treatable. It's not Bipolar.

The Steelers don't have a QB like the teams in the tournament last year. To me 200 yards per game is the formula for the Steelers 150 on the ground 200-250 in the air and that simply doesn't translate to 1600 yards by a receiver on their roster.
If Pickens has 1600 yards in 2023, I'll predict that Pickett became THAT quarterback. I can live with Pickett throwing for 4,000 yards.

If Pickens has 1600 yards in 2023, I'll predict that Pickett became THAT quarterback. I can live with Pickett throwing for 4,000 yards.
I simply do not believe the way they have built this team that is their goal or that will work. They are going to possess the ball play ground and pound and timely pass to best matchup with talent at all 5 possible targets across the board. Pickens role is going to be to loosen the coverage by forcing safety help because he is a nightmare over the top one on one.

I simply do not believe the way they have built this team that is their goal or that will work. They are going to possess the ball play ground and pound and timely pass to best matchup with talent at all 5 possible targets across the board. Pickens role is going to be to loosen the coverage by forcing safety help because he is a nightmare over the top one on one.
Are we/they counting on Najee to lead us to the Promised Land? He's not Derrick Henry. Your statement is pretty on target, as things stand now. I think they will progress Kenny to the degree that he shows competence. Regardless if he has 1600 yards or not, he's not making the Pro Bowl with 800. I think 1100-1200 is realistic.