• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Picket > Jaylen Hurts

If they don't get a playoff win this year the Tomlin Fan Club will call you a racist.
For the TFC it's not just that we have new QB's but we have all new black QB's. According to the TFC in the Steeler FB groups, the reason for the playoff losses was the horrible white QB we had for years and years.
What dick heads. I can't say that having 3 black QB's never dawned on me. It probably dawned on everyone, white or black. At the same time I couldn't care less. I just want Kahn and the powers that be bring in people who they believe can win.

If I wanted to be a dick head right back, I'd tell those people that the only reason Mahomes wins Super Bowls is because of the whiteness in him. LOL

I hope I didn't turn this into a race thread.
Well, you started it . LOL

Last edited:
They jerked him around. No reason he can't be a very good QB in this league.
If they don't get a playoff win this year the Tomlin Fan Club will call you a racist.
For the TFC it's not just that we have new QB's but we have all new black QB's. According to the TFC in the Steeler FB groups, the reason for the playoff losses was the horrible white QB we had for years and years.
A couple of years ago, a black gentleman working at the supermarket saw my hat and said "go Steelers." I smiled and he asked what I thought of Tomlin. I said what I think of him - he's too much of a friend and not really a coach...kind of a cheerleader like Bradshaw said. He wasted no time and said "he sucks, he's only still there because he's black." Again, this was a black gentleman saying this. I was suprised and just laughed kind of laughed and wen't on.

Last edited:

A couple of years ago, a black gentleman working at the supermarket saw my hat and said "go Steelers." I smiled and he asked what I thought of Tomlin. I said what I think of him - he's too much of a friend and not really a coach...kind of a cheerleader like Bradshaw said. He wasted no time and said "he sucks, he's only still there because he's black." :ROFLMAO:
I live near Cleveland Ohio, but happened to be in Yukon Pa, last week. I asked a couple of old farts like me what the feeling is on Tomin down there.
Both basically said he sucks and gotta go. Nothing about race, so that was good.

I then got a laugh out of them by telling a favorite joke of mine...the 3 jobs you get to keep forever...the Pope, a Supreme Court Justice and a Steeler head coach.

I hope I didn't turn this into a race thread.
Well, you started it . LOL
Just reporting on what the TFC is saying on social media.
This coming year we have two black QB's, a black DC, and the GM is a POC so the failure to win a playoff game will be the fault of 1) Arthur Smith not using the QB's properly and 2) Deuce.
Just wait and see.
I left the one FB group I'd belonged to for a long time because too many rayciss.
I just want the team to win games and a playoff once in a while.

I live near Cleveland Ohio, but happened to be in Yukon Pa, last week. I asked a couple of old farts like me what the feeling is on Tomin down there.
Both basically said he sucks and gotta go. Nothing about race, so that was good.

I then got a laugh out of them by telling a favorite joke of mine...the 3 jobs you get to keep forever...the Pope, a Supreme Court Justice and a Steeler head coach.
To be clear, I don't think Shades is a bad coach, I think he's a good coach. Bad coaches don't go 17 years without a losing season.
But I don't think he's a great coach. Great coaches win more than 3 playoff games in 13 years and none in the last 7.
I know, I know, QBR.

Wilson still had better stats last season than all three of our QB's combined. Of course Denver's OC wasn't licking the windows on the short bus and wearing his own football helmet.

My early prediction is with all the changes is 10-7 and a wild card playoff loss just like last year. It's simply as good as Shades knows how to be.
We'll finish third in the division behind the Rats and Bungles.
So.... better stats > more wins?

Generally a QB capable of throwing TDs will lead to more wins. Obviously if Fields takes the reigns at any point he'll have to do a much better job of protecting the football. Just watching the offense try to put up any points with Kenny was painful. Zero margin of error for the defense.

Best to any ex-steeler… only concern here is getting superbowl rings that's it and that’s all! It’s not to insure coach tomlin doesn’t have losing seasons, provide work for KP or provide millions to CH, it’s to bring back the lombardi to Pittsburgh! I don’t know why the qb thing happened time will tell. KP didn’t have a great year but he had company. time will tell. But those still here should get their heads out of the safe dark place they keep em and get to work!

Generally a QB capable of throwing TDs will lead to more wins. Obviously if Fields takes the reins at any point he'll have to do a much better job of protecting the football. Just watching the offense try to put up any points with Kenny was painful. Zero margin of error for the defense.
Nice call out Fan. But let’s remember Fields had three different OC/PC while at CHI. Maybe having stability within the offense (particularly the type of rushing offense Smith runs) may limit the pressure he felt having to “do everything” when the offense took possession.

Nice call out Fan. But let’s remember Fields had three different OC/PC while at CHI. Maybe having stability within the offense (particularly the type of rushing offense Smith runs) may limit the pressure he felt having to “do everything” when the offense took possession.
Completely fair. Fields has all the physical traits you could ask for and would be such an exciting long-term answer if he can put it all together here. He’s the type of QB you can build an offense around, but need him to do his part and that is something we haven’t seen consistently.

z
Completely fair. Fields has all the physical traits you could ask for and would be such an exciting long-term answer if he can put it all together here. He’s the type of QB you can build an offense around, but need him to do his part and that is something we haven’t seen consistently.
Anybody see interviews and or articles dealing with him as a person? I have no sense of his mentality,personality,,, anything.

Generally a QB capable of throwing TDs will lead to more wins. Obviously if Fields takes the reigns at any point he'll have to do a much better job of protecting the football. Just watching the offense try to put up any points with Kenny was painful. Zero margin of error for the defense.
Do you have any facts to back that up? So many variables it is crazy.

To be clear, I don't think Shades is a bad coach, I think he's a good coach. Bad coaches don't go 17 years without a losing season.mrbc
But I don't think he's a great coach. Great coaches win more than 3 playoff games in 13 years and none in the last 7.
I know, I know, QBR.
Exact same feeling. I think he has flaws, but they all nfl head Coaches are pretty flawed these days... his ego get in the way a lot of times, but that isnt unique among head coaches either...

No coach should be in one place more than a decade though... it compound their weaknesses too much

To be clear, I don't think Shades is a bad coach, I think he's a good coach. Bad coaches don't go 17 years without a losing season.
I know, I know, QBR.
Agreed. And a team that never wins would love him. Unfortunately for him his fans rightfully demand more. We are used to being in position to to win a championship every year. And we are not that team now

Agreed. And a team that never wins would love him. Unfortunately for him his fans rightfully demand more. We are used to being in position to to win a championship every year. And we are not that team now
There is obviously a disconnect because you'd think that a HC who never had a losing season in 17 years would have more than 3 playoff wins in the last 13 years.

Do you have any facts to back that up? So many variables it is crazy.
Last year 12 of the 14 playoff QBs finished ranked 13th or higher in passing TDs. It would've been 13 if you combined the Browns' TD total from their starters. Jalen Hurts and CJ Stroud were tied for 13th with 23 TD passes. Steelers QBs combined for 13 TDs, which would've ranked tied for 23rd in the league.

It doesn't hurt. In this case we need better QB stats to stay even. The Steelers lucked out last year only because Burrow got hurt.
Shades will keep the offense in check and make sure they don't score too many points, he likes to keep things close.

It's interesting to note the different ways that teams handle potential. Especially at the QB position. Chicago drafted Mitch and Fields and basically asked them as rookies to go out and run the offense as it was drawn up. No thought for limiting the exposure of young QBs who hadn't really seen anything as far as what the NFL would through at them. Just "run the whole offense".

Ben was brought along differently. We already had an offense that operated through the run game. Initially, he was asked to run that offense and whatever he brought to the table (and it was a lot as a rookie), was gravy. Over time, as he saw and adjusted to what NFL DCs were doing to address him, the offense became more and more "Ben Based". I think that's the best way to bring them along if you are either forced or choose to start rookies. Take some of the pressure off of them and allow them the opportunity to learn and grow. Some of them, like Ben, may not need it as much. Others definitely do. However, they all benefit from lessening the pressure.

There is obviously a disconnect because you'd think that a HC who never had a losing season in 17 years would have more than 3 playoff wins in the last 13 years.
I think the connection is the winning seasons in years they were not good enough and he coached them into the playoffs anyway. Had they lost more he would have had better picks to restock. The streak is remarkable, but it also has hurt the team. At the same time, I never want a coach who doesn't try to win every game.

I think the connection is the winning seasons in years they were not good enough and he coached them into the playoffs anyway. Had they lost more he would have had better picks to restock. The streak is remarkable, but it also has hurt the team. At the same time, I never want a coach who doesn't try to win every game.
I get your point but I think it's more that the offense is an afterthought for Shades and he wants to win with defense.
Works okay in the regular season but not so much in the playoffs when you face consistently good teams who can put up points.

Would those include the years, as an example, that he lost to two 2-10 teams back to back………….

Some of these years you speak of, he put himself into that position of of relying on others to make the playoffs.

His history speaks.

Salute the nationb

Would those include the years, as an example, that he lost to two 2-10 teams back to back………….

Some of these years you speak of, he put himself into that position of of relying on others to make the playoffs.

His history speaks.

Salute the nationb
I really consider that a product of the QB situation. Which yes he is partially responsible for. Mitch T should have never seen the field again and been pulled far earlier.

A couple of years ago, a black gentleman working at the supermarket saw my hat and said "go Steelers." I smiled and he asked what I thought of Tomlin. I said what I think of him - he's too much of a friend and not really a coach...kind of a cheerleader like Bradshaw said. He wasted no time and said "he sucks, he's only still there because he's black." Again, this was a black gentleman saying this. I was suprised and just laughed kind of laughed and wen't on.
200w.gif