• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pitt vs. Penn State This Week

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Pitt vs. Penn State for their first game in 16 years. Whaddaya got?
Both programs are down, PSU from, ya know, and Pitt mostly because for several years they couldn't keep a head coach longer than one season and sometimes less.
A little history since I'm old and remember things, they were always in different conferences but the last time their contract was up for renewal JoPa wanted two games at PSU for every game at Pitt and Pitt was right to tell him to go pound salt.
I say a close game and Pitt wins 24-21.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, James Connor is a beast and would look good in Black and Gold.
But I'm a tad biased.

28-17 Pitt

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Well, James Connor is a beast and would look good in Black and Gold.
But I'm a tad biased.
Meh, the Steelers don't draft Pitt players no matter how good they are.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
If Pitt's offensive line plays to its potential, they win by double digits. If not, it's going to be a close game.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Meh, the Steelers don't draft Pitt players no matter how good they are.

maybe, but the really good players don't get to the Steelers. Revis, Donald, Fitz- all gone before we had a chance for them. I'd love to see Connor in B&G! He's a tough kid with a great head on his shoulders.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Both programs are down, PSU from, ya know, and Pitt mostly because for several years they couldn't keep a head coach longer than one season and sometimes less.
A little history since I'm old and remember things, they were always in different conferences but the last time their contract was up for renewal JoPa wanted two games at PSU for every game at Pitt and Pitt was right to tell him to go pound salt.
Penn state does that to all the small venues. It is different now that Pitt plays at Heinz but they share revenue for games so it makes sense for both to play the bigger stadium.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
maybe, but the really good players don't get to the Steelers. Revis, Donald, Fitz- all gone before we had a chance for them. I'd love to see Connor in B&G! He's a tough kid with a great head on his shoulders.

Yeah but they weren't going to draft Donald anyway and he only ended up being the DROY.

Spike

Reaction score
0-0 in OT

What do I win?

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

Pitt always used to make PSU go to them. The game has been played 72 times in Pitt to 24 times in State College (technically 2 were in Bellefonte). It wasn't until the 80s that it alternated back and forth evenly.

When Penn State entered the Big Ten, they lost control of their schedule, with only 3 games per year open back when the season was 11 games and then 4 games when it went to 12, it was hard to committ to a yearly series with anybody because the reality if big time athletics is you try to get 8 home games out of 12 to make money.

Penn State has been scheduling all the old eastern teams in 2 year series but a regular series is tough to schedule. The only way Penn State could have committed to a long term series would be to get the 2 for 1.

Now the Big Ten and other conferences are going to 9 conference games leaving only 3 open to schedule. You won't see very many regularly scheduled non conference rivalry games anymore.

As for the game, hard to say how it will go. Penn State has a new offensive and defensive coordinator. Against Kent State, PSU pretty much ran a practice. Everything was basic so we probably haven't really seen the new offense yet. Maybe they were holding back to keep Pitt guessing or maybe they are just installing the offense slowly. We don't know yet.

Pitt isn't exactly an offensive powerhouse either. They will hammer Conner at PSU. Penn State has new starters upfront on defense and
not much depth. How will they handle a team running right at them?

Kent State really only moved the ball on a couple of trick plays. Penn State has a bunch of inexperienced new starters on defense so they made a bunch of assignment mistakes. Pitt's offense doesn't have much trickery but they may put some in for this game.

Penn State's new offense is based on run pass options. On most plays there will be some kind of read option where the QB can throw, run, or hand it off.

The main weapon is RB Saquon Barkley. Last week his only rush attempt were from a read option look. Will there be some more formations unveiled vs Pitt. Will they play freshman 5 star RB Miles Sanders along with Barkley?

Chris Godwin is the top WR. He has size and speed as a deep threat. Aside from him, PSU has a bunch of young players . Saed Blacknall is big and fast. Last week he made 1 big play and then on another play, the ball hit him in the facemask without him even knowing the ball was coming his way.

Penn State 20
Pitt 14

I'm thinking low scoring as Pitt chews clock. Penn State's young skill players make a few big plays.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
35-6 Pitt

Pitt is my adopted college team this season ;)

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Pitt is favored by 6. I am rooting for Penn State but after last week, not sure there new QB can get it done yet. If they can pull off the win against Pitt at Pitt, it will be a very good win for them. My gut is telling me Pitt will win but, as with the Steelers, I will never pick against Penn State.

Penn State - 24
Pitt - 20

Slash#10

Reaction score
Penn State 27
Pitt 17

Penn State fans will turn Heinz Field into Beaver Stadium. Gives enough juice to pull out the win.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Pitt always used to make PSU go to them. The game has been played 72 times in Pitt to 24 times in State College (technically 2 were in Bellefonte). It wasn't until the 80s that it alternated back and forth evenly.

I went to Pitt in the early to mid 70's and seem to recall they were alternating then. Now those were some good match ups. Hasn't happened much since, but it's good for the local community that it's scheduled again, even if it's temporary.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Yeah but they weren't going to draft Donald anyway and he only ended up being the DROY.

would have been interesting to see if he was there at our pick. How could they pass on him? Oh well, it's in the past.

Still would have liked to see what the team would have been like with Marino under center in the 80s.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I wish I could care about this game. Penn State beat juggernaut Kent State. Pitt beat perennial football power Villanova. Nobody outside of Pitt or PSU fans and the TV crew that got screwed into covering this gem will be watching this game.

I am a PSU fan, and I am looking forward to doing yard work Saturday.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't really care because I don't follow either team. But just for being complacent in the ratpe of little boys for 30 years I hope PSU loses badly. I mean a family-style 55 to 6 blowout PITT over PSU.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
exactly... the Rooney's are Penn Staters at heart.... every time a pitt kid looks like a great value, we just walk right past him....

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I wish I could care about this game. Penn State beat juggernaut Kent State. Pitt beat perennial football power Villanova. Nobody outside of Pitt or PSU fans and the TV crew that got screwed into covering this gem will be watching this game.

I am a PSU fan, and I am looking forward to doing yard work Saturday.

True, it's more for the fans. All of the players were in diapers the last time these two teams played. I always liked both teams except when they played each other, then it was Pitt all the way.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
Penn State's new offense is based on run pass options. On most plays there will be some kind of read option where the QB can throw, run, or hand it off.

The main weapon is RB Saquon Barkley. Last week his only rush attempt were from a read option look. Will there be some more formations unveiled vs Pitt. Will they play freshman 5 star RB Miles Sanders along with Barkley?

Chris Godwin is the top WR. He has size and speed as a deep threat. Aside from him, PSU has a bunch of young players . Saed Blacknall is big and fast. Last week he made 1 big play and then on another play, the ball hit him in the facemask without him even knowing the ball was coming his way.

Run/Pass Option but I felt McSorley went deep way too often. Felt like every other pass was a bomb. I like Gesicki at TE....huge 6'6" target that they also went to. Much better OL play than I remember the last two years in pass protection...still need work on run blocking. I still do not expect the Lions to win this one. 27-17 Pitt.