• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pitt vs. Penn State This Week

Pitt vs. Penn State for their first game in 16 years. Whaddaya got?
Both programs are down, PSU from, ya know, and Pitt mostly because for several years they couldn't keep a head coach longer than one season and sometimes less.
A little history since I'm old and remember things, they were always in different conferences but the last time their contract was up for renewal JoPa wanted two games at PSU for every game at Pitt and Pitt was right to tell him to go pound salt.
I say a close game and Pitt wins 24-21.

I never knew that about what Jopa wanted. So, let me comment on old school vs. new school.

Old school. If you were a Steeler fan, you most likely hated PSU, because you would more likely be a PITT fan, and those teams/fans hated each other. Back then, both teams were more relevant, even to the point of realistically having hopes for national title.

New school: All kinds of Steeler fans are PSU fans. Due to the teams not playing each other, Steeler fans are no longer brought up to hate PSU, generally speaking. With the Steeler fan crew we hang out with down here, half are PSU fans.

I actually don't care that much, either way. I weakly root for Pitt, and usually expect for the worst. I will tune into a game if it's televised down here and passively watch it, usually while doing something else. I passively root for PSU to lose, just out of old habit from being a kid.

I really still don't care for the whole PSU, Happy Valley ****. That whole area is PSU nuts, and they think the whole central PA thing is awesome. Plus, the whole "scandal" adds to the disdain for a lot of people.

exactly... the Rooney's are Penn Staters at heart.... every time a pitt kid looks like a great value, we just walk right past him....

Yea, odd how they seem to give PSU players a shot, but less so with PITT players.

I never knew that about what Jopa wanted. So, let me comment on old school vs. new school.

Old school. If you were a Steeler fan, you most likely hated PSU, because you would more likely be a PITT fan, and those teams/fans hated each other. Back then, both teams were more relevant, even to the point of realistically having hopes for national title.

At least in my area, if you're from Central PA you were both a Steeler and Nittany Lion fan back in 70's. I didn't hate Pitt only because they were never really a threat. I think in Paterno's first 15 seasons at PSU (1966-1980) he was 12-3 against Pitt with the only real bad loss of the 3 was the '76 game when Pitt won 24-7. Paterno ended with a 23-7 record against Pitt so I have never had anything against a substandard foe. The venom was the other side probably due to all the asskicking they received....kinda how the Browns fans feel about Steeler fans.

Pitt's offense looked pretty mediocre on Saturday. Not many holes to run through and the QB was not very accurate.

Pitt vs. Penn State for their first game in 16 years. Whaddaya got?
Both programs are down, PSU from, ya know, and Pitt mostly because for several years they couldn't keep a head coach longer than one season and sometimes less.
A little history since I'm old and remember things, they were always in different conferences but the last time their contract was up for renewal JoPa wanted two games at PSU for every game at Pitt and Pitt was right to tell him to go pound salt.

I just hope they don't tear up Heinz field

I listened to a little of the Mark Madden show driving home from work yesterday. You'd think it was 2010 and Paterno was Sanduskey. He is all worked up over the Paterno Day thing.

I agree with Ron Burgundy. Don't think PSU can handle Conner, not sure Pitt can stop Barkley. The QBs are a wash. Pitt wins with better "D" and a little home field advantage. I actually think Pitt is going to surprise some teams as the year goes on. Narduzzi was a pretty good signing.

At least in my area, if you're from Central PA you were both a Steeler and Nittany Lion fan back in 70's. I didn't hate Pitt only because they were never really a threat. I think in Paterno's first 15 seasons at PSU (1966-1980) he was 12-3 against Pitt with the only real bad loss of the 3 was the '76 game when Pitt won 24-7. Paterno ended with a 23-7 record against Pitt so I have never had anything against a substandard foe. The venom was the other side probably due to all the asskicking they received....kinda how the Browns fans feel about Steeler fans.

Two of the best Steelers at the time were PSU guys. Franco Harris and Jack Ham. Lotta PSU alumni in the 'Burgh.

After looking at this week's matchups, it's still hard to believe this game is at 12 on ESPN and not a 3:30 or late game on ABC and isn't the location for College GameDay. It's the best game of the weekend and if not for some gimmicky game at a racetrack, probably would have gotten more attention. But as it is now, it just shows you how irrelevant both programs are nationally.

I'm surprised they didn't make this game for 3:30 or even a prime time night game. Look at this week's schedule and this may be the best game of the day. There are no ranked matchups this week. It's cupcake weekend.

Virginia Tech vs Tennessee looks to be the only other possibly interesting game, but after Tenn's squeaker vs App State, who knows?

Sounds like lots of Penn Staters in town

At PNC Park, a good amount of fans start a "We Are ... Penn State" chant.
— Wes Crosby (@OtherNHLCrosby) September 10, 2016
<script id="abine_0.3953065756404973:0.8851777881903298" async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

and further proof

People are ready for tomorrow pic.twitter.com/smRoEZLQgd
— The Panther Pitt (@ThePantherPitt) September 9, 2016
Cr8JUo1WgAAj_9E.jpg
<script id="abine_0.39624618927962685:0.3047587697866422" async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm surprised they didn't make this game for 3:30 or even a prime time night game. Look at this week's schedule and this may be the best game of the day. There are no ranked matchups this week. It's cupcake weekend.

Virginia Tech vs Tennessee looks to be the only other possibly interesting game, but after Tenn's squeaker vs App State, who knows?

The Tech tennessee game is going to be played at the Bristol Raceway in front of over 150,000 fans an all time record for team sports. A true spectacle.

The Tech tennessee game is going to be played at the Bristol Raceway in front of over 150,000 fans an all time record for team sports. A true spectacle.

and that is not enough to get me to watch it...Tenn likely loses and falls out of the top 25....

Just watched the piece on Connor on ESPN Gameday. It's gonna be hard rooting against that kid today.

and that is not enough to get me to watch it...Tenn likely loses and falls out of the top 25....

That's only what Tards like that Coolie guy think.

GO VOLS!

That is impressive. Curious as to how the field is configured. Not familiar with the layout of the raceway.