• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Players Opting Out of Bowl Games

Troglodyte

Reaction score
So Christian McCaffery has opted out of the Sun Bowl to prepare for the NFL draft. I don't like it, makes me question his character. Definitely suggests a "Me first" attitude.

***** move....bailing on your team before the season is truly over...

Asinine. Dude has played 35 games, and now is afraid of being hurt? Uhhh, yeah, I think the guys in the NFL are bigger, faster, stronger than guys on North Carolina, so if you fear getting hurt by a Tar Heels football player, I have to wonder about your state of mind against adults.

Strikes me as being cowardly - not something I want in an NFL skill player.

I completely understand that injury is a serious risk, lesser bowl games mean nothing, and these kids only get one shot at getting drafted and they have to make certain they are chosen as high as possible to get the biggest pay day. Totally, completely understand

But all that being said, it does rub me the wrong way a bit too. Sure the NFL and a pay day is an ultimate goal, but I think playing in bowl games and enjoying the last time out there with your college teammates is kind of an "end" in and of itself. Not every single goal in life has to be purely financial. Aren't some things just worth the experience?

I can't fault him. A meaningless bowl game versus risk of a career ending injury. I take the same course since this guy doesn't look like the type of player teams will take a chance on if he injured.

I think these players have an obligation to their school to play. The school probably footed a "full ride" and this is how you show your appreciation. I'm sorry but you have an obligation to fill and that is play football to the end of said obligation. If these players get away with this then it's just another way of coddling them. **** it, accountability or your off the team imeadiately and possibly some payback of said benefits. Just my two cents

Salute the nation

I can't fault him. A meaningless bowl game versus risk of a career ending injury. I take the same course since this guy doesn't look like the type of player teams will take a chance on if he injured.

Stanford was 4-3 after seven games, so in essence their final five games were meaningless. Probably should have sat those games out too.

I get what he's doing here, but I don't like it. It's also a big topic if I was interviewing him for my team.

Yeah, he was a guy I'd have targeted of Bell didn't sign long term before the draft. I'd have been willing to spend that first round pick on him. Now I don't sniff him until round 2. I want a guy who wants to play because he loves football not because money. Yeah everyone likes to get paid but if you don't have a passion for football i don't want you on my team.

I think these players have an obligation to their school to play. The school probably footed a "full ride" and this is how you show your appreciation. I'm sorry but you have an obligation to fill and that is play football to the end of said obligation. If these players get away with this then it's just another way of coddling them. **** it, accountability or your off the team imeadiately and possibly some payback of said benefits. Just my two cents

Salute the nation

I get both sides of this argument, but if a kid skips a bowl he may actually be doing the school a favor.

Stanford will get to boast a high draft pick, which will help some in recruitment, if The kid gets injured, they don't have that recruiting tool, just a win in a second tier bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

I have no problem with these kids doing this..The kid from Notre Dame last year is probably fresh on of a lot of their minds. If it isn't for a championship or playoffs **** those bowls. They only play them for the money so I can't fault the kids for not playing because of money

But wouldn't you question his willingness to play for your NFL team once the playoff chances looked bleak? You're 5-6 and he's been nursing an ankle that has been suspiciously slow to heal.

I find it laughable that some here question his desire to play football. Kids skip their entire senior year. Why? Do you guys question their desire?

Me first attitude all the way. He would fall on my draft board for this move. He is still part of a team trying to accomplish a significant goal and he walks away. Imagine a NFL player walking away just before the Super Bowl just because he wanted some rest. Total ******** move.

And if he gets hurt... Oh he had insurance its fine. Every right to worry about his future in this instance. Cause teams won't say well before his injury this guy was a 1st round pick and still take him there. They will slide his *** down the boards. Sometimes its OK to be selfish. That bowl is meaningless

The 21-24 olds these days aren't the same type guys I grew up with. If you want to go pro do it after your bowl game. The school who gave you it's resources, coaches and alumni support are counting on you.

When coaches, who are under contract, leave for another school, no one says anything negative about it. If anything, these same reporters are falling over themselves to get the scoop. See Houston and Tom Herman for the most recent example. Coaches quit on teams all the time in the college game without a single regard as to how their players and recruits may feel. They are hardly ever scolded or criticized. Yet in the rare cases when a 18 to 22 year old kid decides to make a business decision. It's just crazy to me how people expect more out of teens and 20 year olds playing a brutal game for free than grown *** 40, 50, 60, and 70 year olds being paid millions to coach them.

I agree. Who gives a crap about college football anyway? The NCAA or the college are not going to give him any money if he wrecks his knee in a meaningless bowl game. The Sun Bowl? Spare me.

But wouldn't you question his willingness to play for your NFL team once the playoff chances looked bleak? You're 5-6 and he's been nursing an ankle that has been suspiciously slow to heal.

Nope. He's playing for money in the NFL. And although college bowls games are about money, he's not seeing any of it. He far outplayed the value of the scholarship.

I get both sides of this argument, but if a kid skips a bowl he may actually be doing the school a favor.

Stanford will get to boast a high draft pick, which will help some in recruitment, if The kid gets injured, they don't have that recruiting tool, just a win in a second tier bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

GREAT, the school loses the bowl game and their recruiting lowers. How about the kid plays LIGHTS OUT, would that up his stock a little??? I hear what you are saying. An injury could change a whole lot but why play the last game of the season, or why play the last two games of the season, or why play the last three games of the season......... The point is ACCOUNTABILITY

Salute the nation

I have no problem with these kids doing this..The kid from Notre Dame last year is probably fresh on of a lot of their minds. If it isn't for a championship or playoffs **** those bowls. They only play them for the money so I can't fault the kids for not playing because of money

Ever hear of the NFL..................? Money, HOW MUCH MONEY did his school spend on him to develope / coach / educate / feed / house / fake job wages / etc. etc. etc.? I definately see both sides but don't act like the kid doesn't have any obligation or wasn't given any opertunity to be where he is.

Salute the nation

Last edited:
Ever hear of the NFL..................? Money

Salute the nation

Not sure I understand your post.. The kid is making a business decision. He has one opportunity to maximize his draft status. Playing in a meaningless bowl game is risky. If he had decided to play I wouldn't be calling him a idiot but I can understand his decision not to play. Getting that first round pick contract may be the most he may ever make..who knows if he ever sees a second contract.

Ever hear of the NFL..................? Money, HOW MUCH MONEY did his school spend on him to develope / coach / educate / feed / house / fake job wages / etc. etc. etc.? I definately see both sides but don't act like the kid doesn't have any obligation or wasn't given any opertunity to be where he is.

Salute the nation

An obligation?? If he had a obligation he would be playing. He has a choice and he has chosen not to play. I'm sure it wasn't easy either.

I bet Jaylon Smith wishes he sat out Notre Dame's bowl game last year. Went from a potential top 5 pick to 2nd rounder and had to sit out his entire NFL rookie season. How many of you would give up millions just to play in a relatively meaningless game?

How is this any different than leaving school a year early yet there isn't typically a controversy over that decision? At least this is only sitting out one game as opposed to an entire senior season.

Leonard Fournette as well, although he is nursing an ankle.

Still think it does say something about their character though.