• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Players Opting Out of Bowl Games

If the kid blows out his knee,or another major injury, will he still be drafted as high as he would have been if healthy? Nope, will the school or NFL compensate him with the pay equal to where he was projected to go? No.
I can totally understand why they would do this in a bowl game with no national title hopes.

I can also see why some players like Connor at Pitt will still play. To each his own

I agree. Who gives a crap about college football anyway? The NCAA or the college are not going to give him any money if he wrecks his knee in a meaningless bowl game. The Sun Bowl? Spare me.

He got a free Stanford education, room and board - that's several hundred thousand dollars right there. Not to mention a program to improve and showcase his football skills. There's a reason kids accept football scholarships instead of saying "**** you, I'll train and market myself to the NFL"

He owes Stanford.

Reactions: MTC
There are plenty of Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and Washington players who have a lot more to lose than a National Championship that, monetarily, is worth nothing to them. What if they decided to sit out the playoffs?

That'll be remedied easily, when kids sign to attend and accept a scholarship the schools should add that they play all games while under scholarship.

Or Levon Bell, especially after last season, think about what he has to lose playing right now.

He could decide to sit out and accept the fines and docked pay checks and then cash in during free agency.

How many of you who support McCaffery would support that?

The NCAA needs to abandon the bowl game concept as we know it and incorporate a full 24 team tournament like the FCS has successfully been doing for years now. They can work in the main bowl game sites for the playoff games and then use the big bowl games to serve as the quarterfinals, semis and championship game. This whole 6-6 gets you a bowl game is bullshit. No one is watching that **** anyways. Lets crown a true national champion and make the games mean something. He wouldn't sit if there was a trophy on the line.

Or Levon Bell, especially after last season, think about what he has to lose playing right now.

He could decide to sit out and accept the fines and docked pay checks and then cash in during free agency.

How many of you who support McCaffery would support that?
IMO you are comparing apples and oranges

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

They have insurance policies for if they get hurt. Fournette gets like 7 million if he were to get hurt so bad he didn't make the NFL

Sent from my Pixel using Steeler Nation mobile app

McCaffrey's stock - i.e., the money he is going to make in the NFL - went way up as a result of his Rose Bowl performance last year:

18 carries, 172 yards, 4 receptions, 105 yards.

He had the same risk of injury in that game that he did any other game. Should he have sat out? If not, why not?

Imo it's selfish. I'm sure it sends a wrong message regarding leadership, accountability etc. If I was a scout, those would be the attributes I would take note. The kid is a great athlete and I get the whole trying to avoid injury. But that's football.

I understand what people are saying about an outwardly selfish appearance. I get that. However, who gets the money from the bowl game. Who makes all the money from all of it? He just as easy could have warmed up and on the third play of the game "tweeked" his ankle and no one would have been the wiser. Tough situation. I understand both sides of the argument. And his stock might drop i some organizations opinion. He is from an NFL family and my bet is that they feel this is a business and that is what it is.

I understand what people are saying about an outwardly selfish appearance. I get that. However, who gets the money from the bowl game. Who makes all the money from all of it? He just as easy could have warmed up and on the third play of the game "tweeked" his ankle and no one would have been the wiser. Tough situation. I understand both sides of the argument. And his stock might drop i some organizations opinion. He is from an NFL family and my bet is that they feel this is a business and that is what it is.

If I don't have a problem with the Rooneys getting money from the NFL, why should I have a problem with a university getting money which it will use to fund various athletic or academic programs?

Then you can't have it both ways. All NFL players look out for themselves. They are paid millions. The collegiate player is paid tens of thousands in the form of tuition that many can't even properly use.

Then you can't have it both ways. All NFL players look out for themselves. They are paid millions. The collegiate player is paid tens of thousands in the form of tuition that many can't even properly use.

Tens of thousands? You don't have any kids in college, at least not Stanford, do you?

McCaffery didn't have to accept a football scholarship. Maybe it isn't such a raw deal.

I heard Jim Rome has requested an interview with Chris. I didn't even know he still had a show.

I don't know what would I do, I can understand both sides and suppose it wasn't an easy decision for neither.

But I wouldn't take it as a "meaningless bowl game" before asking my temmates if it is. They're the ones who fought with you for years and for most of them will be the highlight of their careers. I think that would be a strong point for me when deciding. The last time I play with my brothers.

Also it's not the same as leaving a year early, when you have a whole offseason and season to prepare.

Ok over 100k. His dad played 13 years in the NFL. I'm pretty sure he can scrape together the money. Regardless, these people have the right to do what they want. You can judge him if you like. However, my guess is if he played well for the Steelers, this would be something you would forget quickly. In my opinion he essentially quit the football team. If the University wants to take away his scholarship that is well within their rights.

If we're not criticizing players who skip their senior year to go to the NFL, then we can't criticize players who skip one game, can we?

If we're not criticizing players who skip their senior year to go to the NFL, then we can't criticize players who skip one game, can we?

So we should have no criticism of a player who decides to play only in certain games, where he thinks he will excel? And sit out those games were he thinks he might be hammered, or possibly sustain injury?

Isn't that what you're saying?

So we should have no criticism of a player who decides to play only in certain games, where he thinks he will excel? And sit out those games were he thinks he might be hammered, or possibly sustain injury?

Isn't that what you're saying?
Isn't that an extreme example??

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

They will have to make them mandatory as part of scholarships.

I think you can. Giving your team notice 6 months in advance before the season is different than shortly before the final game.