• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Players Opting Out of Bowl Games

NFL contracts are directly related to on-field performance or expected future performance. There is a much greater reward for playing and earning a better contract than it is for a college player to not play in a bowl game and risk dropping a few spots in the draft because of it. There's a reason it's called a "contract year" and NFL players actually tend to perform better or are at least perceived to perform better to try to get a better deal. No NFL team is going to incentivize sitting out a contract year with a "monster contract" as you mention.

Where did you get "year"? McCaffery is sitting out a game. We are talking about NFL players being able to give up on the remainder (a game or several games) of a season because they are on the verge of free agency knowing the only thing that will hurt their value is a major injury. The exact same thing McCaffery is doing at the professional level.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-nfl-draft-underclassmen/stories/201612210068

Joe Starkey: David DeCastro is absolutely right about Christian McCaffrey and Leonard Fournette

December 21, 2016 12:00 AM

By Joe Starkey / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Christian McCaffrey basically sacrificed his body at the altar of Stanford football. He did everything. He handled the ball 748 times the past two years, via run, catch and kick return. He even played a little defense.

Now, suddenly, people are questioning his character. Now he’s catching flak because he wants to focus on his life’s work — the NFL — rather than play in the Sun Bowl.

The*Sun Bowl?

ADVERTISEMENT

Is that what we’re talking about here? A meaningless, made-for-television exhibition game that delivers a nice paycheck to the boss (Sun Bowl director Bernie Olivas made $158,500 in 2012) and to Stanford University ($2.15 million) but gives nothing to the players besides maybe a PlayStation, a refrigerator magnet and the sweet memory of playing in the Sun Bowl?

Listen, I’m all for sweet Sun Bowl memories. I’m sure every Pitt and Oregon State player, down to the second-string punters, will be reliving that 3-0 classic from 2008 at team reunions for decades to come.

But in the case of McCaffrey and LSU running back Leonard Fournette — who is skipping the highly prestigious Citrus Bowl — let’s be real: They are making perfectly sensible decisions, and their schools were lucky to have them this long.

Does anybody believe a specimen like the 236-pound Fournette wasn’t ready for pro football long before this? He was, of course, but was forced to remain in a rigged system that doesn’t allow adults to enter the NFL work force (average career length: 3.5 years) until they are three years removed from high school.

And it’s the athletes who are selfish?

McCaffrey and Fournette undoubtedly watched Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith lose millions when he tore up his knee in the Fiesta Bowl last year. The two are protecting their interests, same as coaches do, and all evidence suggests their teammates understand.

Of course they do. Athletes are onto the fact that college football is about cold, hard cash and that very little of it flows back to them, except in the form of tuition, which would be really cool if degrees led to jobs. Degrees don’t necessarily do that anymore, especially when they are in “general studies” or some such major that athletes are herded into, either to stay eligible or to have enough time to focus on their full-time job (football).

I asked Steelers guard and ex-Stanford player David DeCastro if he believes other players will follow McCaffrey and Fournette’s path.

“Yeah, I think so, especially if they’re not in the playoff games,” DeCastro said. “Be smart, you know? Look forward to their future. Makes sense to me. Definitely a good move on their part.”

Meanwhile, delusional criticism rolls in from everywhere. Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott tweeted the following: “All these young guys deciding to skip their bowl games. I would do anything to play in one more game with my brothers in scarlet and gray.”

Yo, ‘Zeke: You could have played in, like, 14 more games with your brothers, but you skipped your senior season! I don’t blame you. Why blame these guys?

Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi had this to say about players skipping bowls: “That’s not how our guys operate. Our guys are team players.”

Wait, so guys who leave before phony bowl games aren’t team players?

OK then, what about coaches who leave? They’re supposed to set the example, right? Narduzzi used to work for Mark Dantonio, who bolted Cincinnati for Michigan State before the Bearcats’ bowl game in 2008 (the fabled International Bowl) and had no intention of coaching that game before Cincinnati hired Brian Kelly.

Dantonio put his personal interests above his team. Same as McCaffrey and Fournette.

People continue to want to speak for McCaffrey’s teammates, which is odd, because they’re speaking for themselves.

Here’s tweet from Stanford receiver Trent Irwin:

Here’s an Instagram post from defensive end Solomon Thomas:

Let me repeat: Players are becoming more enlightened every day. Fewer need to be reminded that they are pawns in a multibillion dollar industry, brought in to be chewed up and spit out like pieces of inventory. Blocked from the NFL for three years. Two of them have taken action, even as fans, coaches and former players crucify them in the name of “loyalty.”

Christian McCaffrey took the ball 748 times.

Let him leave in peace

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

Where did you get "year"? McCaffery is sitting out a game. We are talking about NFL players being able to give up on the remainder (a game or several games) of a season because they are on the verge of free agency knowing the only thing that will hurt their value is a major injury. The exact same thing McCaffery is doing at the professional level.

I was posting a direct response to this, which I quoted.

So the guy gets to the final year of his first NFL contract. Is he going to say "**** it, I'll sit out this year because I don't want to injure myself so I can get a monster contract."? I see this as a character flaw which makes him perfect for the Pats* or Raiders.

If collegiate athletes got a piece of that gigantic pie they are making for college teams I'd get the argument that they should play in meaningless bowl games, but since they don't get near their fair share of the revenue they create I totally understand wanting to get on with their life work in the NFL and start getting properly compensated. It's about earning potential and these meaningless bowl games are all risk with virtually no reward for the players. Coaches get multi million dollar deals and the players get a scholarship for a degree they are unlikely to complete or use in the future anyway. College football is nothing more than an unpaid NFL developmental league where the athletes are getting pretty screwed if they don't make it to the NFL. Completely understand sitting and also understand it's time to start paying these players...been time for more than awhile.

Should Kirk Cousins sit out the last 2 games this year? Redskins are pretty much eliminated and he's a free agent. It will cost him millions if he's injured. He should sit out these meaningless games and just focus on getting paid next year.

nobody has a problem with that right?

It's plain stupid to compare sitting out an NFL year vs. college to avoid injury.

If collegiate athletes got a piece of that gigantic pie they are making for college teams I'd get the argument that they should play in meaningless bowl games, but since they don't get near their fair share of the revenue they create I totally understand wanting to get on with their life work in the NFL and start getting properly compensated. It's about earning potential and these meaningless bowl games are all risk with virtually no reward for the players. Coaches get multi million dollar deals and the players get a scholarship for a degree they are unlikely to complete or use in the future anyway. College football is nothing more than an unpaid NFL developmental league where the athletes are getting pretty screwed if they don't make it to the NFL. Completely understand sitting and also understand it's time to start paying these players...been time for more than awhile.

Damn, i'm totally screwed with this stupid degree from Stanford and no student loan debt.

Most schools lose money overall on thier sports programs. Every sport but football loses money for schools and half the schools lose on football too. The football money allows most schools to pay for the women's field hockey team, etc.

pay football players then you have to pay the women field hockey player. That means universities start dropping sports left and right. So now a school that gave out say 1000 athletic scholarships is giving out 300.

Screwed is the 700 kids who would have had a scholarship but now get nothing and maybe don't even go to college at all. Why? So the football players can afford the new iPhone and a sleeve of tats. Maybe that player will leave a nice tip for the waitress who would have had a volleyball scholarship but instead she works 2 jobs.

Should Kirk Cousins sit out the last 2 games this year? Redskins are pretty much eliminated and he's a free agent. It will cost him millions if he's injured. He should sit out these meaningless games and just focus on getting paid next year.

This is great example of an NFL equivalent to McCaffery.

It's plain stupid to compare sitting out an NFL year vs. college to avoid injury.

Right, a player if far more likely to get injured playing a year in the NFL than one game in college.

The comparison the McCaffrey and a coach leaving is wrong. They are not analogous. Coaches have contracts which specifically allow for them to leave early. That's how it is done. It's the way it has to be done for colleges.

the college regular season ends around thanksgiving. The bowls end first week of January. National signing day for recruits is first week pf February. There is no way a school can be without a coach from Thanksgiving until early January. you would lose all you recruits, kids would transfer, and the new coach would have maybe 3 weeks to try to recruit new players. You are dead in the water.

This is why college coaches MUST abandon their old teams. Or, at the very least, they have to start working their new job while trying to coach the bowl game. That's a horrible scenario for both sides which is why most times the coach just leaves early.

Coaches can also be fired at any time, like Les Miles was. Players are never kicked out mid season unless for disciplinary issues. And only in the SEC do they pull a kid's scholarship simply because he's not that good. At most schools, a kid gets a scholarship, and he keeps it for 4 or 5 years even if he's not that good.

Apples and oranges.. Cousins has already been paid. From a rookie contract and a franchise tag. McCaffrey has not been paid and is only looking to ensure he does.

Last edited:
not really. that's a damn good example.

Isn't that an extreme example??

Not at all - isn't that exactly what McCaffrey is doing?? Sitting out a game to avoid injury??

So why sit out just one game to avoid injury? Why not 2? What, sitting out 1 game to avoid injury is fine, but 2 - no way, we draw the line at 1.

Is that it?

So you just say apples and oranges when somebody makes an argument you can't refute? this is perfectly analagous.

you want apples and oranges, it's your comparison to a coach leaving early.
No I continued my argument.. and I used a the coach example because of you are not going to hold them to their contract why are we holding kids. If they can leave why can't the kids leave

Not at all - isn't that exactly what McCaffrey is doing?? Sitting out a game to avoid injury??

So why sit out just one game to avoid injury? Why not 2? What, sitting out 1 game to avoid injury is fine, but 2 - no way, we draw the line at 1.

Is that it?
Not IMO the difference to me is that the pro guys have been paid already. You only get one chance to be drafted and maximize your draft position. And again I said if he had decided to stay and play I wouldn't be calling him a idiot or anything but I also understand his decision to leave and not risk it.

NFL players have proven they can play in the league, many college players turn out to be busts, or frauds. For all we know McCaffery is working on defrauding the NFL. Why is it OK for him to protect himself but not the NFL player on the verge of free agency?

NFL players have proven they can play in the league, many college players turn out to be busts, or frauds. For all we know McCaffery is working on defrauding the NFL. Why is it OK for him to protect himself but not the NFL player on the verge of free agency?
Then I guess that's on the NFL team who decides to draft him, to decide if he is worth it. I'm going with its not OK for the guy in the NFL because he is a professional. He signed a contract and is being paid to play in those games. But we all know it happens anyway. Mike Wallace mailed it in his last year for us..

Then I guess that's on the NFL team who decides to draft him, to decide if he is worth it. I'm going with its not OK for the guy in the NFL because he is a professional. He signed a contract and is being paid to play in those games. But we all know it happens anyway. Mike Wallace mailed it in his last year for us..

wait...did mike wallace refuse to put on his uniform on game days and take the field?? because as much of a prick wallace was (and probably still is), i don't remember him doing that.

No I continued my argument.. and I used a the coach example because of you are not going to hold them to their contract why are we holding kids. If they can leave why can't the kids leave

your argument is based on money. That is not the issue. Everybody understands the money aspect. The issue is that McCaffrey just proved that he will put himself ahead of the team.

If I was a GM, I'd drop him off my list, or significantly down. Why would i invest a high pick in a player that might run out of bounds instead of taking on a LB in a key situation, or refuse to play unless he's 100%?

I see McCaffrey and Fournette as completely different situations. McCaffrey is healthy and being selfish. Fournette has battled injuries, is banged up, and his coach was fired.

McCaffrey is just being selfish.

Why should i be impressed with his combine workout? He's going to train for it longer than most so his numbers will all be inflated.

Not IMO the difference to me is that the pro guys have been paid already. You only get one chance to be drafted and maximize your draft position. And again I said if he had decided to stay and play I wouldn't be calling him a idiot or anything but I also understand his decision to leave and not risk it.

Not answering my question ... you have no issue with him sitting out the bowl game (1 game).

Do you have any issue with him sitting out 2 games? If yes, then why?

I have no issue with him sitting out the bowl game. I don't have any issue with any amateur player sitting out any game going pro early or anything like that. Professional athletes are different IMO

wait...did mike wallace refuse to put on his uniform on game days and take the field?? because as much of a prick wallace was (and probably still is), i don't remember him doing that.
I remember Mike Wallace not putting in full effort his last year with us. Maybe it was my perception

your argument is based on money. That is not the issue. Everybody understands the money aspect. The issue is that McCaffrey just proved that he will put himself ahead of the team.

If I was a GM, I'd drop him off my list, or significantly down. Why would i invest a high pick in a player that might run out of bounds instead of taking on a LB in a key situation, or refuse to play unless he's 100%?

I see McCaffrey and Fournette as completely different situations. McCaffrey is healthy and being selfish. Fournette has battled injuries, is banged up, and his coach was fired.

Why should i be impressed with his combine workout? He's going to train for it longer than most so his numbers will all be inflated.
And in my earlier post I said he was being selfish. And I said sometimes you have to be selfish. And GMs have every right to view him in that light and ask the very same questions you are asking. But we all know not all will. His team at Stanford have tweeted out tweets of support.

So it's only acceptable to sit out and be selfish if someone has a preexisting injury...got it. All of a sudden because a guy has been "banged up" that absolves him of this supposedly Benedict Arnold of a decision to bail on his team? If Fournette is healthy enough to play, especially after almost a month off, how the hell is that any different than what McCaffrey is doing? The whole reason McCaffrey is not playing in the bowl game is so he doesn't get banged up in the first place. But apparently you have to have one before the other for it to be acceptable.

Oh and in case you missed it, McCaffrey did miss a game this year due to injury.