• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Potential OC Candidates for the Steelers in 2024

Deuce made that statement today that’s it’s Mikes decision and that he didn’t want to screw up the process so it will be shades call.
Here we go again! This is the same guy that thought it a good idea to hire and promote Matt Canada.
Unbelievable, Rooney is doubling down on Shades after everything that has gone down, this feels hopeless until Tomlin retires on his own terms

To add to ur point this is the same guy who promoted from within x3 times after the previous in house OC failed

It also means they have less in-house expertise than needed.

Time to fix this!
Or suffer from paralysis from analysis as the good candidates find homes and we’re left with a mid level meddling HC and a recycle bin OC from the scrap heap

Shades ain’t changing his stripes no matter how many candidates they bring in and from my experience hiring if the process takes too long it means the hiring manager (already identified as Mike) doesn’t know what they are looking for cuz they don’t really have an effective strategy/plan/vision/direction of their own

Well that all seems to be Mikey in a nutshell

Just hire Thomas Brown and get your sacrificial lamb in here Mikey, I’m hungry for some more gyros

Deuce made that statement today that’s it’s Mikes decision and that he didn’t want to screw up the process so it will be shades call.
Here we go again! This is the same guy that thought it a good idea to hire and promote Matt Canada.
This is the worst news of the offseason for the team. The guy that is either slow or bad at decision making you are letting make the final decision?

Yeah this team really doesn't care to get passed mediocre.

KC has changed their whole style. Their defense carried them most of the year. Their offense used to be quick strike, high flying, now its more grind it out sustained drives. I think part of it is lack of elite WRs, but still impressive they were able to do a 180 with their style.
It's not hard to change styles or philosophy in a short period of time. Coaches say its hard to do, but all BS. Patriots changed styles on a weekly basis back in their cheating hay day.

If we want to interview Klint Kubiak then it’s two more weeks until he’s available if indeed he’s on their wish list and if he’s even interested.
Otherwise I have a feeling they will rush into it and hire Arthur Smith.
Heavy run oriented coach right up Shades alley.
I’m hoping they’re waiting for Kubiak.
Between Shades’ and Deuce’s last pressers it’s apparent that everyone knows this is an important hire and Shades was contrite and reflective enough (for him) that I’m thinking this is his last rodeo if **** doesn’t get better.
Problems:
1. Can Shades think outside his box enough to actually do things differently? I’m no so sure.
2. Stains, Bungles, Rats, Chefs, Bills, Jags, Texans are all AFC teams that are better and have better QB’s.

This is the worst news of the offseason for the team. The guy that is either slow or bad at decision making you are letting make the final decision?

Yeah this team really doesn't care to get passed mediocre.
Look on the bright side, this will make predicting the Steelers record this fall so much easier.

Between Shades’ and Deuce’s last pressers it’s apparent that everyone knows this is an important hire and Shades was contrite and reflective enough (for him) that I’m thinking this is his last rodeo if **** doesn’t get better.
Problems:
1. Can Shades think outside his box enough to actually do things differently? I’m no so sure.
2. Stains, Bungles, Rats, Chefs, Bills, Jags, Texans are all AFC teams that are better and have better QB’s.
To be fair, I'm not sure what the Steelers have at QB.

To be fair, I'm not sure what the Steelers have at QB.
Me neither. Can’t tell until we get a decent OC. But on his best day I don’t think KP is as good as the guys on the teams I mentioned (if healthy).
For reasons I can’t explain we are Jackson’s kryptonite but we benefitted greatly from Watson missing most of the season and Burrow missing half.

Last edited:
So I know that I read that another team can interview an assistant coach while in the playoffs and that the Saints actually had an interview with Klint Kubiak last week.
I think the rules were changed in 2020 to allow this but if he did interview maybe just maybe we will schedule something soon with him. I need to go find that story I read yesterday.

I checked the article and the Saints did indeed interview both Klint Kubiak and Brian Greise from the Niners.
Oh well!

Problems:
IMO, Smith may be a good hire. He had a similar RB in Henry as he would in Najee. Pound the rock and use PA to get the ball down the field. With receivers like Pickens and Dropson, he'd have better than he previously did with the Titans or Falcons (though he did have AJ Brown at Tennessee). Our OL (other than Cole) is pretty talented, so getting an OC and RT in the draft (moving Jones back to LT) would benefit tremendously to any OC we hire. Utilizing the talent, like i said, pound the ball and use PA to set up the WRs. Pickett, with his flaws, would reap the benefits of this as he'd also be set up for success. He can move around and extend plays, but at times he's pretty erratic and predictable in his moves. I don't believe we're that far off from the top teams, just our offensive game plans and play calling leave a ocean full of desire - which negatively impacts the defense.

Word on The Fan is it’s Arthur Smith.
Three yards and a cloud of dust, beyotches.
“When you pass the ball, three things can happen and two of them are bad.” — Woody Hayes

Me neither. Can’t tell until we get a decent OC. But on his best day I don’t think KP is as good as the guys on the teams I mentioned (if healthy).
For reasons I can’t explain we are Jackson’s kryptonite but we benefitted greatly from Watson missing most of the season and Burrow missing half.
I will certainly give you Burrow, but Watson has been hot garbage in cleveland. Pickett seems to have a clutch gene that jackson is missing, just needs to figure out the first part of the game. With proper blocking and a run game i think Pickett will be fine given our other skill guys, but only time will tell.

I will certainly give you Burrow, but Watson has been hot garbage in cleveland. Pickett seems to have a clutch gene that jackson is missing, just needs to figure out the first part of the game. With proper blocking and a run game i think Pickett will be fine given our other skill guys, but only time will tell.
If Watson stays healthy, we have the 4th best QB in the division. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Pickett that better coaching can’t fix.

If Watson stays healthy, we have the 4th best QB in the division. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Pickett that better coaching can’t fix.
The 4th best STARTING QB, if Mason stays he's not even the best QB on his team. Pickett is nothing more than a back up, and I'm not even sure he's that.

Never thought I’d say this, but unless they plan on going back to the QB well in the draft on day 1-2 bringing back Rudy will be crucial imo as he actually seems like a way better fit for the run heavy PA offense Smith will bring.

I have zero faith in KP under center and turning his back to the play as he is already massively field vision challenged.

I know big 80 is smiling today

Never thought I’d say this, but unless they plan on going back to the QB well in the draft on day 1-2 bringing back Rudy will be crucial imo as he actually seems like a way better fit for the run heavy PA offense Smith will bring.

I have zero faith in KP under center and turning his back to the play as he is already massively field vision challenged.

88 should be...not sure about 80....but if 80 is smiling its because he loves to participate in the 23 personnel package and run block.

I can see 83 being more involved in the pass game though..

BIG 80 is going to want to be listed as a OT, way bigger money in that gig…………… + he can report in on slim occasion for a pass here and there………………………. KindA like he is getting now………….

Salute the nation

The 4th best STARTING QB, if Mason stays he's not even the best QB on his team. Pickett is nothing more than a back up, and I'm not even sure he's that.
Okay, let me rephrase…WHOEVER our starting QB is, he will be the 4th best QB in the division. :LOL:

BIG 80 is going to want to be listed as a OT, way bigger money in that gig…………… + he can report in on slim occasion for a pass here and there………………………. KindA like he is getting now………….

Salute the nation
He’s got a chance of being the 2nd best tackle currently on our roster

Just think what Munch could do with him

Yikes