• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Potential OC Candidates for the Steelers in 2024

I believe the concern or sticky point among potential OC hires is the organization’s commitment to Kenny Pickett ..
Right wrong or indifferent.

Looking at the 3 candidates:

Thomas Brown
+Under the McVay coaching tree
+Respected enough to get head coaching interview
-Not a good showing with the Panthers
-Doesn't have the chops to develop a QB

Jerrod Johnson
+Did good work with CJ Stroud
+Up and comer who worked under a good OC this year
-Lack of experience, only a QB coach for one season

Arthur Smith
+Success with Titans with the style of offense the Steelers seem to want to run
+Head coach experience, another coach on staff who understands the full progra
-Mismanaged young talent in Atlanta
-Not a QB developer

The longer this drags out, I'm really hoping that they're waiting for someone from the remaining 4 playoff teams. (Kubiak)
My biggest fear is that it will be Jerrod Johnson running Mike Tomlins playbook.
We don’t live in our fears
Unless it’s the playoffs 😂 or Tomlin making a coaching hire

Listen. Most of the insiders have opined that the Steelers want to bring in a ton of OC guys, hear what they are pitching for the Steelers offense, then hire the one they like best, but get lots of free expert advice on the best way to fix things.

Thats a good idea. It also means they shouldnt rush into anything.

Listen. Most of the insiders have opined that the Steelers want to bring in a ton of OC guys, hear what they are pitching for the Steelers offense, then hire the one they like best, but get lots of free expert advice on the best way to fix things.

Thats a good idea. It also means they shouldnt rush into anything.
It also means they have less in-house expertise than needed.

Time to fix this!

It also means they have less in-house expertise than needed.

Time to fix this!
it also means that they can't wait forever and lose out on who they want. The issue is still, will Tomlin allow these guys to do what they want or is he going to handcuff them too?

Looking at the 3 candidates:

Thomas Brown
+Under the McVay coaching tree
+Respected enough to get head coaching interview
-Not a good showing with the Panthers
-Doesn't have the chops to develop a QB

Jerrod Johnson
+Did good work with CJ Stroud
+Up and comer who worked under a good OC this year
-Lack of experience, only a QB coach for one season

Arthur Smith
+Success with Titans with the style of offense the Steelers seem to want to run
+Head coach experience, another coach on staff who understands the full progra
-Mismanaged young talent in Atlanta
-Not a QB developer
Seems to me like all 3 would be open to dealing with our current QB quagmire...
So, it could be any of them...
If it is one of these, I would wager on Johnson.

it also means that they can't wait forever and lose out on who they want. The issue is still, will Tomlin allow these guys to do what they want or is he going to handcuff them too?
Or will a smart OC candidate sense what you suggest and tell the Steelers no thanks leaving us with an unqualified candidate that Tomlin can justify controlling and imposing his conservative approach to offense on

Robinson was in of my favorite candidates and he is reportedly gone to the Falcons.

We will never know why, but there’s a good chance it’s one of these two reasons

Will this be another slowball hire allowing other teams to snatch up the best candidates and allowing Tomlin to hire another minion?

Last edited:
Or will a smart OC candidate sense what you suggest and tell the Steelers no thanks leaving us with an unqualified candidate that Tomlin can justify controlling and imposing his conservative approach to offense on

Will this be another slowball hire allowing other teams to snatch up the best candidates and allowing Tomlin to hire another minion?

That was my speculation from the beginning. we will have to wait and see how it plays out.

Salute the nation

If we want to interview Klint Kubiak then it’s two more weeks until he’s available if indeed he’s on their wish list and if he’s even interested.
Otherwise I have a feeling they will rush into it and hire Arthur Smith.
Heavy run oriented coach right up Shades alley.

Remember also that besides the OC, they could be hiring a passing game coordinator or a run game coordinator... though honestly, Faulkner should probably get that

Rooney said Tomlin will make OC hiring decision. I'm not sure that's a good idea but we shall see.
I’m sure that’s a bad idea lol

When did Rooney say that? Today in his end of the year presser?

I believe the concern or sticky point among potential OC hires is the organization’s commitment to Kenny Pickett ..
Right wrong or indifferent.
Idk. What if you are an OC in waiting. If you wait around for what you think is the perfect opportunity...lets say the QB on the team you are presently with gets hurt? The OL implodes or gets hurt or something. Now, instead of being the hot name, maybe you are out of work looking for anything. There are only so many of these jobs, you have to strike when you get the chance.

If we want to interview Klint Kubiak then it’s two more weeks until he’s available if indeed he’s on their wish list and if he’s even interested.
Otherwise I have a feeling they will rush into it and hire Arthur Smith.
Heavy run oriented coach right up Shades alley.
Just a thought. Has anyone noticed the effective running games of all 4 teams in the championship games? KC has kind of changed their offense a bit to being somewhat more run oriented.

Just a thought. Has anyone noticed the effective running games of all 4 teams in the championship games? KC has kind of changed their offense a bit to being somewhat more run oriented.
KC has changed their whole style. Their defense carried them most of the year. Their offense used to be quick strike, high flying, now its more grind it out sustained drives. I think part of it is lack of elite WRs, but still impressive they were able to do a 180 with their style.

Seems to me like all 3 would be open to dealing with our current QB quagmire...
So, it could be any of them...
If it is one of these, I would wager on Johnson.
Especially if they're worried about getting a job. Brown will be lucky to be an OC for anyone this season. It would be Johnson's first opportunity, so he'd jump at it. I don't have a gauge on Smith. He was a hot name OC when he got hired with the Falcons, however, I think his misuse of talent really put a damper on his opportunities. I could see him taking an analyst role somewhere or even a position coaching job. Overall, he's the most qualified in terms of experience.

Arthur Smith scares me. He was fired from ATL for not utilizing their weapons and their O was at the bottom(like ours).

Arthur Smith scares me. He was fired from ATL for not utilizing their weapons and their O was at the bottom(like ours).
Based on the three they've interviewed so far, Smith is probably the heavy favorite because of his experience. He helped lead a successful Titans offense for two seasons and after a terrible year on the ground in 2021, Smith did boost the Falcons to a top-5 and then top-10 rushing attacks the past two seasons. His background is with the offensive line. Given the way this team is constructed, I believe the Steelers want an OC with a strong understanding of the running game.

Now, if they do hire Smith, they need to invest in a strong QB coach and an up-and-coming assistant QB coach. I think they need a strong voice in the WR room as well to get those guys in gear. Too much talent to play the way they do.

Lastly, I'm not convinced a future superstar would come to the Steelers because of the lack of a coaching tree. While coaches have confidence, it's hard to ignore 17 years of no head coaches off a coaching staff. Zero innovators on this staff. However, the best staff Tomlin had included LeBeau, Haley, and Munchak--all former HCs.

I’m sure that’s a bad idea lol

When did Rooney say that? Today in his end of the year presser?
Deuce made that statement today that’s it’s Mikes decision and that he didn’t want to screw up the process so it will be shades call.
Here we go again! This is the same guy that thought it a good idea to hire and promote Matt Canada.

Deuce made that statement today that’s it’s Mikes decision and that he didn’t want to screw up the process so it will be shades call.
Here we go again! This is the same guy that thought it a good idea to hire and promote Matt Canada.
Yep, might as well start now as to who they beat and lose to next season in attaining their 9-8 record.