• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pressley Harvin III Looking To Build Off 2021

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers had the sixth most punts in 2021 with a majority of those coming off the foot of rookie Pressley Harvin III. Coming off his emotional rookie year, Harvin is looking to rebound in a big way in 2022.

The Steelers selected Harvin with the 254th overall pick (seventh round) in last year’s NFL Draft. At that time, Harvin was coming off his decorated senior year at Georgia Tech, leading the country in punting average (48.0), winning the Ray Guy Award as the nation’s top collegiate punter, earning unanimous All-American, and securing First-Team All-ACC honors. Add to all of that his 255-pound frame, and it would almost seem like a steal in the draft.

After beating out Jordan Berry in the preseason, it seemed like Harvin was the guy. Unfortunately, the aforementioned accolades didn’t translate to the field as Harvin’s inaccuracies and inconsistencies, both of which were noted in his draft analysis, marred his powerful leg. Through 14 games of 2021, Harvin held one of the worst kicking averages in the league (33.0).

It’s worth noting that Berry holds the 4th, 5th and 6th highest punting averages in Steelers history and finished 2021 with the 17th highest average (46.5).

Harvin’s best moment of the season may have been on Dec. 5 against the Baltimore Ravens where he delivered a 64-yard beauty to flip the field position in a tight game.

64 yard punt for Pressley Harvin III. Out at the half yard line. Elite boot. #Steelers pic.twitter.com/e8WLhotOht

— Alex Kozora (@Alex_Kozora) December 5, 2021

It’s punting like this that can change the outcome of games.

Amid his struggles, Harvin managed to field 25 punts inside the 20-yard line, good enough for 11th in the league amongst qualified players. The work was also there for Harvin – finishing the season with 70 punts, which was the 9th most in the league. Unfortunately, he only averaged 42.6 yards per punt.

“I think the mental part is the biggest thing,” says Harvin in reference to the daily NFL grind. “I think it was around the point of October and November, that’s usually when the season starts winding down for postseason play, and that’s when you have to motivate yourself a little bit more to continue,” he adds.

Towards the end of the season, Harvin dealt with the passing of his father and grandmother which forced him to miss two games. During that time, Corliss Waitman stepped in to deliver a whopping 52.1-yard average in seven kicks. The Steelers eventually cut Waitman, paving way for Harvin to finish the season against the Kansas City Chiefs in the Wild Card game. In that game, he logged his second-highest punt average of the season with 49.71 per punt.

“Any adversity can happen at any time and the biggest thing you have to do is put God first and pray about it, and find out what works best for you and find something that helps you get through those things.”

Rookies have their struggles, but the fact that the coaching staff and the front office continued to stay behind Harvin showed they have faith that he can eventually return to his collegiate form.

Harvin says his focus during the offseason is to work on consistency and mental toughness.

“I’m going to be training in different climates in different locations just to get more of a rhythm in different climates we play during the season.”

“Sometimes I think the problem for guys sometimes during the offseason is they get too comfortable, so you have to find ways to keep yourself motivated, stay accountable for yourself and continue to do the work that you need to do.”

In 2022, Harvin will enter the second of his four-year rookie deal. Do you think he can turn the corner? Let us know in the comment section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

He'd better do something to put up a better showing this year. Otherwise he'll find out what many kickers and punters find during their careers; NFL stands for "Not For Long".

He has had the off-season to get everything worked out and should be good to go. Like SteelBuckeye says, Not For Long if not.

I think he will come back in a vengeance and hope our new and 2nd year improved offense gives him better opportunities as in MUCH fewer attempts.

The best way to protect a punter is NOT give him opportunities, Can you hear me MATT ?

Salute the nation