• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Quiz on quotes.

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Six trivia questions to see how much history you really know. Be honest;
it's kind of fun and revealing.

If you don't know the answer make your best guess. Answer all of the
questions (no cheating) before looking at the answers.

And, no, the answers to these questions aren't all Barack Obama.

1) "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."

A. Karl Marx B. Adolph Hitler C. Joseph Stalin

D. Barack Obama E. None of the above

2) "It's time for a new beginning, for an end to government of the few, by
the few, and for the few... and to replace it with shared responsibility,
for shared prosperity."

A. Lenin B. Mussolini C. Idi Amin

3) "(We).... can't just let business as usual go on, and that means
something has to be taken away from some people."

A. Nikita Khrushchev B. Joseph Goebbels C. Boris Yeltsin

4) "We have to build a political consensus and that requires people to give
up a little bit of their own ... in order to create this common ground."

A. Mao Tse Tung B. Hugo Chavez C. Kim Jong II

5) "I certainly think the free-market has failed."

A. Karl Marx B. Lenin C. Molotov

6) "I think it's time to send a clear message to what has become the most
profitable sector in (the) entire economy that they are being watched."

A. Pinochet B. Milosevic C. Saddam Hussein

Scroll down for answers........

... and the answers are:

(1) E. None of the above. Statement was made by Hillary Clinton 6/29/2004

(2) E. None of the above. Statement was made by Hillary Clinton 5/29/2007

(3) E. None of the above. Statement was made by Hillary Clinton 6/4/2007

(4) E. None of the above. Statement was made by Hillary Clinton 6/4/2007

(5) E. None of the above. Statement was made by Hillary Clinton 6/4/2007

(6) E. None of the above. Statement was made by Hillary Clinton 9/2/2005

"We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good.]

Context? If you struggle to comprehend the meaning of that, well........

I fail to see what's so outrageous about #2, it sounds like most politicians, regardless of their sincerity or political party. I can think of instances where I agree with #5.

Here's one:

"The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves in their separate, and individual capacities."

I fail to see what's so outrageous about #2, it sounds like most politicians, regardless of their sincerity or political party. I can think of instances where I agree with #5.

Here's one:

"The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves in their separate, and individual capacities."

You need to add to the end of that- without taking **** from people who can take care of themselves.

Those quotes from Hillary have been bouncing around for years (2007) and Snopes will paint them vanilla,

I fail to see what's so outrageous about #2

The second statement was part of a straightforward expression of the need to for people to reach a consensus (through metaphorically giving up some of their political "turf," not literally giving up their possessions) on how to proceed in order to tackle an issue such as universal health insurance, while the first statement is another pieced-together quote that omits the contextual references to the issues of health care, dependence on foreign oil, and climate change:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/marxist.asp

..........along with anything else that sounds like Marxist rhetoric from Dems. Truth be told, things are far worse than those quotes can ever reflect.

“I'm not going to have some reporters pawing through our papers. We are the president.”
― Hillary Rodham Clinton

"If I want to knock a story off the front page, I just change my hairstyle."
--Hillary Clinton

dc6lhu.jpg
kbypo7.jpg

Last edited:

Well, according to our current president and his wife, I'm not capable of deciding what health coverage I need or even what kind of food to put into my own mouth. I don't think that's what Lincoln envisioned when he said "whatever they can not do for themselves".

I fail to see what's so outrageous about #2, it sounds like most politicians, regardless of their sincerity or political party. I can think of instances where I agree with #5. .

Wait...those were quotes from the same person. You understand the others but can't make a connection between the ideology of them and #2???

And you think that Abe Lincoln meant handouts and or entitlements?
Read this very carefully.

“Some said government should do no more than protect its people from insurrection and foreign invasion and spend the rest of its time dispassionately observing the way its people played out the cards that fate had dealt them. He (Lincoln)scorned that view. He called it a ‘do nothing’ abdication of responsibility. ‘The legitimate object of government,’ he said, ‘is to do for the people what needs to be done, but which they cannot, by individual effort, do at all, or do so well, for themselves. There are many such things…,’ he said. So he offered the ‘poor’ more than freedom and the encouragement of his own good example: he offered them government. Government that would work aggressively to help them find the chance they might not have found alone. He did it by fighting for bridges, railroad construction and other such projects that others decried as excessive government. He gave help for education, help for agriculture, land for the rural family struggling for a start. And always, at the heart of his struggle and his yearning was the passion to make room for the outsider, the insistence upon a commitment to respect the idea of equality by fighting for inclusion.”

–Mario M. Cuomo (governor of New York), “Abraham Lincoln and Our ‘Unfinished Work’” Journal of the Abraham Lincoln Association 8.1 (1986)

Last edited:

That reminds me of Confluences tax return;

As I understand it the Canadian Revenue Agency actually commented on this one...Something to ponder ......

The CRA has returned the Tax Return to a man in Canada after he apparently answered one of the questions incorrectly.
In response to the question, ...

"Do you have anyone dependent on you ?"

The man wrote:

"2.1 million illegal immigrants,
1.1 million crackheads,
4.4 million unemployable scroungers,
80,000 criminals in over 85 prisons plus 650 idiots in Parliament and the entire group that call themselves Politicians".

The CRA returned a statement that the response he gave was unacceptable.

The man's response back to the CRA was:

. "Who did I leave out ?"

There weren't millions of children born to non-achieving parents when Lincoln was president. I don't pretend to know how he would have dealt with that.

Here's one:

Really?

Number 2 to me is the scariest of the lot. Its talking about taking away individual property and rights and collectivizing them. That always means state control and loss of freedom. That is always a bad situation that leads to tyranny and dictatorship.

And the free market has not failed. In the cases were there is an actual free market it works very well. What we have on a macro level is a overregulated, politically gerrymandered crony capitalism economy.

Last edited: