• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ranking the Top 3 Most Unique Steelers’ Personalities of All-Time

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
banneradbigbensteelernation-1024x74.png

Every sports league has a revolving door of interesting personalities. After all, to make it as a successful professional athlete, a person needs to have a fair share of inborn talent, an unending drive to perfect their skills, and a competitive impulse to be the best.

Unsurprisingly, it can lead to a few stubborn, unconventional personalities. As explored by Netflix’s The Last Dance, even household legends like Michael Jordan have more than a few eccentricities that made them, at times, difficult to work with despite delivering wins.

The NFL isn’t short on its own crazy characters. Though a list that covers odd athletes lists NFL star Tim Rossovich as one of the league’s standout weirdos (and rightly so), each team likely has a resident oddball on their roster right now. Sometimes, this boils down to a superstitious warmup routine, while other times it might signal a more distinct personality trait.

When looking back at the Steelers’ list of eccentric players, there’s plenty to work with. As the second-most winning team in the NFL, the Pittsburgh Steelers have had some of the most dangerous lineups over the decades—but which players have withstood the test of time when it comes to strange habits and quirks?

3) James Harrison

Outside linebacker, 2004-2012 & 2014-2017

James Harrison wasn’t crazy, but no offensive player in the league wanted to face this five-time Pro Bowl linebacker. Despite going undrafted in 2002, he eventually became the AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2008—and for good reason.

He’s remembered today for having one of the most intimidating stares in league history, but he took that fighting spirit off the gridiron (multiple times). One of his most memorable runs off the rails includes an interview in Men’s Journal in which he went after NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell (and, unfortunately, then-quarterback Ben Roethlisberger).

2) Troy Polamalu

Safety, 2003-2014

As one of the greatest safeties to have ever played and hands-down the best of his generation, Troy Polamalu will remain a hero to Steelers’ fans for years to come. Aside from his talent, Polamalu has been remembered as a lovable oddball by publications that don’t even cover the NFL.

Aside from football, his hobbies include growing flowers, making furniture, and surfing. The only extensive break he took from the NFL came during the 2011 lockout, during which time Polamalu headed to SoCal to get a bachelor’s in history. He’s also remembered for his long hair, which helped make him an icon.

However, what not many people may know is that, following a major Head & Shoulders deal, Polamalu then went on to become the world’s holder for the highest insurance coverage for hair, as declared by the Guinness Book of World Records.

1) Jack Lambert

Middle linebacker, 1974-1984

As with Harrison, there’s something memorable about a terror-inducing linebacker that doesn’t seem to have an off-switch. In the case of Jack Lambert, he also looked the part—he was towering, well-built, and missing multiple teeth. Like Harrison, he had an unforgettable leer that could make a tangible difference on the field by spreading pure intimidation.

However, Lambert stands out for his inability to gauge when, precisely, a play started and stopped. He was known for jumping on the snap too early, then failing to disengage after the whistle. He’s also remembered for body slamming opponent Cliff Harris during Super Bowl X, then convincing officials to let him keep playing.

This type of all-out competitive drive led Fox Sports Net to name him the toughest football player of all time back in 2004, then NFL Network’s NFL Top Ten as the Number 8 Most Feared Player of All Time and Number 5 Pittsburgh Steeler of All Time.

One of the most interesting and odd things about Lambert is that he’d actually planned on becoming a veterinarian before opting for football. Post-retirement, he also served extensively as a wildlife officer. Lastly, Lambert also played with Nick Saban while at Kent State in the early 1970s.

Who do yinz think were some of the most unique personalities in Steelers’ history? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Unfortunately ROGER GODELL made it so Harrison wasn't a very well liked player. I consider Harrison one of the best if not the best LB the steelers ever had. What Jack had was the glory day SB wins while Harrison delt with rules changes to inhibit him and officials told to let the opposing OL "hold" him as much as needed.

Two different era's and Jack was more flabouyant of the two but James was pure strong / take no prisoners.

There were many other personalities and don't skip out on Mean Joe Green because his personality was.... "I can back uo my words".!!!

Salute the nation

Unfortunately ROGER GODELL made it so Harrison wasn't a very well liked player. I consider Harrison one of the best if not the best LB the steelers ever had. What Jack had was the glory day SB wins while Harrison delt with rules changes to inhibit him and officials told to let the opposing OL "hold" him as much as needed.

Two different era's and Jack was more flabouyant of the two but James was pure strong / take no prisoners.

There were many other personalities and don't skip out on Mean Joe Green because his personality was.... "I can back uo my words".!!!

Salute the nation
I liked Harrison alot...but best Steeler LB...I cant agree to that..Jack Ham was the best and most complete LB to ever wear B & G

I wouldn't even consider Troy among the top Steelers personalities; he's so soft spoken. I'm not sure how you can have the discussion without mentioning Terry Bradshaw. Or Bill Cowher, although he was a coach. They're both larger than life.

I liked Harrison alot...but best Steeler LB...I cant agree to that..Jack Ham was the best and most complete LB to ever wear B & G

TOTAL respect for Ham as well, I think the top 5 LBs for the STEELERS could be argued back and forth and you're right on Ham as well as Lambert with Harrison thrown in also. They all had their strengths plus personalities (Ham's wasn't big).

Salute the nation

Lambert as of now was the best Steelers linebacker hopefully so be overtaken by TJ

I agree with everyone mentioned as far as personalities. the one name I would add is Bince Williams. that guy was hilarious

Greg Lloyd wasn’t hired for his disposition & liked dropping F bombs on national TV

Buddy Parker was known to cut guys who were in his way after a loss.

Mad Dog Dwight White held nothing back and was pissed off till the day he died he wasn’t in the team photo for Super Bowl IX

Ed Brown QB’d the Steelers to within 1 win of the 1963 NFL Championship Game, getting drunk in the pub all season long, then decided to go dry before the final game—even the bartenders knew we were screwed

Bubby Brister wrote playoffs on the board before the 1989 season and never quite kept his composure during games

Joey Porter never was one to stop talking or back down — getting ejected before a 2004 game vs. Browns due to fight with RB William Green

Porter called the Colts soft and Jeramy Stephens sorry during the 2005 Super Bowl run

You might want to read up on Ernie “Fats” Holmes and Frenchy Fuqua.
Was gonna say, a list of most unique characters would have to include the Frenchman and Arrowhead Holmes.

What about Jeff Reed, his wonderful hair, his temper towards hand towel machines.

Juju with his tic tok, TD celebrations, and overall child like joy

Hines and the smile that never stopped, mocking opponents with his TD dances, knocking out LBers

Brett Keisel and the beard...

There are so many possibilities, why limit it to 3?

Ray Mansfield. If you ever read "Three Bricks Shy of A Load" you'll know what I mean. Man, this present team could use a few personalities like that, if there are any left.

My favorite Ray Mansfield story is they are playing the Bears and Mansfield comes in a cleans Butkus off the pile. Butkus didn't really see who hit him, so Mansfield says, "nice hit, Jim" to Jim Clack who has to deal with an enraged Butkus the rest of the game.