• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

remember, kids, Discrimination starts with a (D)

If anything, they should tax junk food, not just restaurants, but groceries. Obese poor people are expensive to the tax payer.
Actually when peoples' income and food budget is limited they will intuitively seek food that contains the most calories per dollar. In America it is inexpensive to eat badly and expensive to eat healthy. This is why obesity increases as incomes go down and decrease as incomes go up. If you want less obesity then pursue economic policies that raise the standard of living and lower food prices. Bomma's economic policies do exactly the opposite but He and Mooshell are too stupid to understand that.

Really? It's fairly easy to identify junk food. Dietitians and health nuts aren't rocket scientist.

No it's not, but nice dodge. Dieticians and health nuts vary wildly on what foods are good for you and what foods aren't. Some say low fat foods are best. Some say low carb foods are best. Some say sugar is the devil, some say artificial sweeteners are. Some say meat will kill you, some say animal protein is healthy and necessary. So tell me...which foods do you tax? Which are causing obesity? If you tax donuts do you think I can't get fat on chocolate chip cookies? If you tax soda do you think I can't get fat on juice or sweetened iced tea? If you tax burgers do you think I can't get fat on pasta? How do you decide what to tax and what not to tax? Who decides? It's a stupid concept.

no. let people make their own decisions on what to eat. if someone eats nothing but crisco, then chances are better than good that they will soon not be a burden on society with their ill-advised diet.

if taxes had such a drastic impact on tobacco use, then by your logic, we'd not see anyone smoking.

obama-smoking-460_1121795c.jpg

Soon not be a burden? Get a clue. It takes 30 years of Medicaid and food stamp supported diabetes management and throw in disability for a bka. But that's free, right?

Because some people still smoke taxes didn't work? Right. I know three people who used to be sales reps for big tobacco that lost their jobs over a decade ago.

Actually when peoples' income and food budget is limited they will intuitively seek food that contains the most calories per dollar. In America it is inexpensive to eat badly and expensive to eat healthy. This is why obesity increases as incomes go down and decrease as incomes go up. If you want less obesity then pursue economic policies that raise the standard of living and lower food prices. Bomma's economic policies do exactly the opposite but He and Mooshell are too stupid to understand that.

This is true. We try to eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. That is more than half of my grocery bill, yet it's not even half of what I buy. It's outrageous. I can spend 20.00 and get 6 bags of pizza rolls or spend 20 bucks and get a bunch of bananas, a pint of blueberries, and tomatoes. It makes no sense.

When my wife and I get on a healthy eating kick it never lasts all that long mostly because we can't afford to do it for long or we would go broke. The food cost is twice as high.

Dieticians and health nuts vary wildly on what foods are good for you and what foods aren't. Some say low fat foods are best. Some say low carb foods are best. Some say sugar is the devil, some say artificial sweeteners are. Some say meat will kill you, some say animal protein is healthy and necessary. So tell me...which foods do you tax? Which are causing obesity?

I don't know what it's called when someone pretends to be obtuse in an attempt to win an argument, but you're guilty of it.

Dietitians may disagree on what diet is best but none of them include trans fat and empty calories. None of them suggest deep frying food in lard.

I don't know what it's called when someone pretends to be obtuse in an attempt to win an argument, but you're guilty of it.

Dietitians may disagree on what diet is best but none of them include trans fat and empty calories. None of them suggest deep frying food in lard.

Now that is the pot calling the kettle black. Do you think if we eliminate transfat and deep frying no one will be obese? Define "empty calories"?

I'll ask the question one more time in hopes of getting an actual answer. If your plan is to tax all foods which cause obesity, which ones do you tax? Are transfats and fried foods the only things that cause obesity? Is it sugar? Is it calorie dense foods or carbohydrate dense foods or high fat foods or all of them? Where do you draw the lines? Who decides?

Do you think lobbying won't play a role in this, because the government is oh so altruistic and only has our best interests at heart? Try and answer this time instead of spewing out more vagaries.

Last edited:
Now that is the pot calling the kettle black. Do you think if we eliminate transfat and deep frying no one will be obese? Define "empty calories"?

I'll ask the question one more time in hopes of getting an actual answer. If your plan is to tax all foods which cause obesity, which ones do you tax? Are transfats and fried foods the only things that cause obesity? Is it sugar? Is it calorie dense foods or carbohydrate dense foods or high fat foods or all of them? Where do you draw the lines? Who decides?

Do you think lobbying won't play a role in this, because the government is oh so altruistic and only has our best interests at heart? Try and answer this time instead of spewing out more vagaries.

OK, here's a clue. Salmon ands avocados wouldn't be taxed. Twinkles, Oreos potato chips and soda would most certainly be taxed.

Empty calories have little or no nutritional value. I didn't invent that term and I can't believe you need a definition.

You argument that the solution isn't a simple one so let the problem persist is a sad one.

Do you think if we eliminate transfat and deep frying no one will be obese? Define "empty calories"?

Again, I don't care if it eliminates obesity or not. I want people who chose to make themselves obese pay for their own morbidity. It's not about coercing people, it's about taxing people who are responsible for a problem.

Your argument that lobbyists corrupt politicians can be applied to anything. By your logic, we should dissolve all government and have anarchy. Let's shelve that.

OK, here's a clue. Salmon ands avocados wouldn't be taxed. Twinkles, Oreos potato chips and soda would most certainly be taxed.

Empty calories have little or no nutritional value. I didn't invent that term and I can't believe you need a definition.

You argument that the solution isn't a simple one so let the problem persist is a sad one.

I understand both points. Some things are clear cut, and others are iffy. Things like cookies, chips, pop are clear cut, but what about crackers/pretzels. Would cheeze-its and wheat thins be classified as the same? Trying to classify every food would be a nightmare and i don't know if it would help.
Look at smokers and drinkers.... They will buy their cigs and alcohol before anything else.

So, you have chosen two "good" foods that won't be taxed, and three "bad ones" that will. You only have about 20 millions different foods to go.

Now, let's compare Lay's potato chips with say, whole wheat crackers. Both are all natural, with no preservatives. One has 2-10% of the recommended allowance of 8 essential nutrients, and one has none. Which is the health food? Guess what, it's the potato chip. You only chose three bad foods and you've already picked wrong.

Again, I don't care if it eliminates obesity or not. I want people who chose to make themselves obese pay for their own morbidity. It's not about coercing people, it's about taxing people who are responsible for a problem.

Your argument that lobbyists corrupt politicians can be applied to anything. By your logic, we should dissolve all government and have anarchy. Let's shelve that.

You're not taxing the people though, you're taxing foods. In order to make the obese people pay in this way, you have to know what foods are causing their obesity.

But the Republicans want to control womens' bodies.

I could eat a whole cake and icecream while maintaining the same weight IF i worked my *** off. Eating too much causes you to gain weight. It can be slow or it can be fast. At the end of the day if you have a surplus of energy it will be stored.

It it is not stored in the muscles or liver if they are full,it is stored in the fat cells...You can throw in all of the metabolic problems through lack of activity and sometimes thyroid . A balance of workload vs energy intake is ! The amount of skeletal muscle tissue you have will have the greatest impact on your resting metabolic rate. If you don't use it you will lose it and you will add fat if you do not eat less. It is simplistic. It is a lifestyle choice.

If i stopped working out and being active today. I would start to slowly revert back toward my untrained state in 7-10 days. If i kept up my dietary intake and protein it may take years for my muscle mass to significantly diminish. If i keep eating the same way i did when i trained i would start to gain weight(fat).The longer i kept sedentary the faster the weight would pack on without dietary(calories in vs calories out) adjustment. Again i could eat absolute garbage food and not gain weight IF i trained enough to offset the calorie intake and negate a surplus. I would not be as healthy because i would be lacking in nutrients,but i would not be obese.

I could eat a whole cake and icecream while maintaining the same weight IF i worked my *** off. Eating too much causes you to gain weight. It can be slow or it can be fast. At the end of the day if you have a surplus of energy it will be stored.

It it is not stored in the muscles or liver if they are full,it is stored in the fat cells...You can throw in all of the metabolic problems through lack of activity and sometimes thyroid . A balance of workload vs energy intake is ! The amount of skeletal muscle tissue you have will have the greatest impact on your resting metabolic rate. If you don't use it you will lose it and you will add fat if you do not eat less. It is simplistic. It is a lifestyle choice.

If i stopped working out and being active today. I would start to slowly revert back toward my untrained state in 7-10 days. If i kept up my dietary intake and protein it may take years for my muscle mass to significantly diminish. If i keep eating the same way i did when i trained i would start to gain weight(fat).The longer i kept sedentary the faster the weight would pack on without dietary(calories in vs calories out) adjustment. Again i could eat absolute garbage food and not gain weight IF i trained enough to offset the calorie intake and negate a surplus. I would not be as healthy because i would be lacking in nutrients,but i would not be obese.
Two years ago I spent two weeks in Italy. Lots of carbs and veggies in the diet, not a lot of meat because it it relatively expensive there, little or no processed foods because that's just not how it's done. I saw virtually no fat people the entire time. They walk a lot, typically to a gelato shop every night after dinner. I ate like I was in a flippin' pasta eating contest and we all noted that our belts were a notch tighter when we left.

Side note: The average woman riding a bus or scooter on her way to work in Rome is stunningly beautiful and looks like she stepped out of Vogue Magazine. Again, it's simply how it is done there.

Last edited:
So, you have chosen two "good" foods that won't be taxed, and three "bad ones" that will. You only have about 20 millions different foods to go.

Now, let's compare Lay's potato chips with say, whole wheat crackers. Both are all natural, with no preservatives. One has 2-10% of the recommended allowance of 8 essential nutrients, and one has none. Which is the health food? Guess what, it's the potato chip. You only chose three bad foods and you've already picked wrong.

There's 20 million obese people on the government dime. So which one of us has put things into perspective?

Some more perspective: potato chips also have 20% of recommended allowance of saturated fat. The bad far outweighs the good. To argue they're a health food is absolutely moronic.

You're not taxing the people though, you're taxing foods. In order to make the obese people pay in this way, you have to know what foods are causing their obesity.
Everyone but you knows what foods are causing obesity. It's not because they're eating way too much salmon and avocados. Trust me.

There's 20 million obese people on the government dime. So which one of us has put things into perspective?

Some more perspective: potato chips also have 20% of recommended allowance of saturated fat. The bad far outweighs the good. To argue they're a health food is absolutely moronic.

I'm not arguing that potato chips are a health food, sorry you're too moronic to grasp that. The point is there are no objective criteria for determining what is a health food and what isn't. So foods high in saturated fat are the baddies? That includes cheese, nuts, meat and coconut oil.

Everyone but you knows what foods are causing obesity

So your criteria is the foods that "everybody knows" are causing obesity. Got it. That should be easy to sort out, lol.

IThe point is there are no objective criteria for determining what is a health food and what isn't.

Ha! Do you know the definition of objective? Numbers are objective.The nutritional content is in numbers. Some of the content (unsaturated fats, protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals) is good, some content (saturated fat, trans fat, sugar) is bad. And the nutritional value of a food or beverage depends on the balance of the two.

It's really not a matter of opinion that salmon is healthy and Mountain Dew is junk.

Saying its a mystery as to what foods are causing obesity reminds me of the tobacco execs saying they didn't believe cigarettes were causing lung cancer.

I have loved junk food my whole life and I am 185 pounds (at 6'2"). Take your junk food tax and stick it up your cake hole. I kind of enjoy personal freedom myself. If I wanted a tyrannical government telling me what I am allowed to eat, I'd move one of the many ****** places around the globe where I don't have personal freedom. Yay America! .

Last edited: