• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: Melvin Ingram III Traded to Kansas City Chiefs For 6th Round Pick

James Harrison is why they made the trade. And the fact that more than likely K.C. was the only team that wanted him. Get rid of a malcontent who is openly telling reporters he's better than your starter, and who is not the future at the position. Better to get something than have him pull a Deebo and end up getting nothing.

Haven't been following as closely as I normally do, didn't realize he was doing that.

Seems low. He must have just been a malcontent.

Yep. Edge Rushers with his pedigree just don't go that low unless, like you said, he's a malcontent. Didn't seem to generate much interest before Steelers picked him up either.

what does it say about the leadership of the team if 1 guy who is not even starting and has been on the team for a couple months could negatively influence the locker room?

The message is being sent that if you are unhappy on the Steelers, just act like an ******* and you get your way.
It says they understand chemistry is important.

must of been on Tomlins bottom side to only get a sixth pick, maybe let him play more and have some depth on this defense

Yep. Edge Rushers with his pedigree just don't go that low unless, like you said, he's a malcontent. Didn't seem to generate much interest before Steelers picked him up either.
I think he had some character / work ethic issues with the Chargers as well so I guess getting something is better than nothing. I do think he should have been given more playing time, but if he is not putting effort and going around pouting then I dont have an issue with the trade.

This is awful, unless there’s some sort of clause that makes it a 4th rounder if Ingram gets like 8 sacks or something.

Ingram Would leave next year so I understand wanting to trade him, but you have to get something for him. A 6th rounder is nothing. And to make it worse, you traded him to a top AFC competitor who is struggling.
I agree. First of all, they have very little depth at the position. Most of us were OK with the Watt/Highsmith/Ingram three man-rotation -- are we comfortable with throwing a Taco in that mix?

What's even more bizarre is that the Steelers paid Ingram a $2.925 million dollar signing bonus, along with another pro-rated $478,000 in salary. They're giving him away to the Chiefs for a sixth rounder, and KC only has to pay him less than 600K for the remainder of the season.

So it cost Pittsburgh $3.4 million for the one sack he produced, and 340K per tackle. Great...more Derek Watt-ish type of contract value there.

I agree. First of all, they have very little depth at the position. Most of us were OK with the Watt/Highsmith/Ingram three man-rotation -- are we comfortable with throwing a Taco in that mix?

What's even more bizarre is that the Steelers paid Ingram a $2.925 million dollar signing bonus, along with another pro-rated $478,000 in salary. They're giving him away to the Chiefs for a sixth rounder, and KC only has to pay him less than 600K for the remainder of the season.

So it cost Pittsburgh $3.4 million for the one sack he produced, and 340K per tackle. Great...more Derek Watt-ish type of contract value there.
Id point out that every team would happily like to buy an extra pick for 3.4 million dollars… but then id also have to point out that signing him led to us cutting Roche, a sixth round pick now playing in New York

Id point out that every team would happily like to buy an extra pick for 3.4 million dollars… but then id also have to point out that signing him led to us cutting Roche, a sixth round pick now playing in New York
Every team would like to buy an extra middle to late sixth round draft pick for $3.4 million? Happily? Just curious, where/how did you come up with that assertion?

Melvin Ingram's snaps by game:

1) 54
2) 57
3) 47
4) 35
5) 36
6) 17
7) 0 (inactive with a bruised ego)

He was trending down obviously.

7 games 1 start: 10 tackles (5/5), 2 TFLs, 1 sack, 1 PD. I hope Taco can fill those shoes...

And get real here. Ingram WAS a pro bowler, but had ZERO sacks last year. He was hurt, but he played nearly half a season. We took a flyer hoping he'd be a team guy, and hoping to recapture his glory days. He is a great situational pass rusher, and he does get pressures, but this was no longer a 3 main rotation. It's the Watt/Highsmith show now.

Well sometimes one man's garbage proves to be nothing more... than garbage. Steelers just took out the trash. And got a draft pick. I know it isn't a great exchange but still better than nothing.

Melvin Ingram's snaps by game:

1) 54
2) 57
3) 47
4) 35
5) 36
6) 17
7) 0 (inactive with a bruised ego)

He was trending down obviously.

7 games 1 start: 10 tackles (5/5), 2 TFLs, 1 sack, 1 PD. I hope Taco can fill those shoes...

And get real here. Ingram WAS a pro bowler, but had ZERO sacks last year. He was hurt, but he played nearly half a season. We took a flyer hoping he'd be a team guy, and hoping to recapture his glory days. He is a great situational pass rusher, and he does get pressures, but this was no longer a 3 main rotation. It's the Watt/Highsmith show now.
Hate to break it to you, but Highsmith isn't exactly setting the world on fire, either. He has 2.5 sacks in 12 games as a starter. He has 0 QB hits in 5 out of 6 games this season. ZERO.

Make no mistake, it's the Watt Show. TJ is like Johnny Carson, and Highsmith is roughly equivalent to Ed McMahon's makeup guy.

Dan Orlofsky just said the trade for Ingram may go down as one of the greatest in season trades ever...

Dude is lighting it up & apparently has been one of the big reasons for the Chiefs D revival...

Ingram is better than Highsmith no doubt but he was not the future. Oh well.

Dan Orlofsky just said the trade for Ingram may go down as one of the greatest in season trades ever...

Dude is lighting it up & apparently has been one of the big reasons for the Chiefs D revival...
Meh team chemistry and blah blah blah… our lack of depth olb has been an issue forever under Tomlin, and the fact that guys like Melvin and Oli find productive homes elsewhere doesn’t bode well for our current plan… James Harrison was right…

Tomlin spends too much draft capital at lb without enough return… homeruns like watt aside, we need lowercrounders to deveop into backups

The fact is Tomlin prioritizes special teams over defensive ability for defensive backups, and while that may save us ten yards on a few kickoffs, it kills us when injuries happen

I know stats don’t tell the whole story, but Dude has done less in KC while playing roughly 50%+ of their defensive snaps. If “lighting it up” means having 6 tackles, and 1 sack across 4 games, then I guess he is.

I know stats don’t tell the whole story, but Dude has done less in KC while playing roughly 50%+ of their defensive snaps. If “lighting it up” means having 6 tackles, and 1 sack across 4 games, then I guess he is.
Dan Orlofsky said it...not me...

The "experts" don't know ****.

Look, I wish the Steelers could've worked it out with him. He is a good player. But the reason KC turned it around on D? C'mon.

And on a side note, the Raiders are just a mess. Always will be, IMO, especially where they are now. They shouldn't judge anything on the Raiders. Who thought it was a good idea to put a team in Vegas? A young, immature football player can get in trouble in any city, but Vegas is a whole other level.

He's not lighting it up on the stat sheet, but for whatever reason, the Chiefs defense turned it around right when Ingram arrived. If nothing else, he's made a difference for their defense.
Ingram is better than Highsmith no doubt but he was not the future. Oh well.
In retrospect, now that the emotions of the moment have faded, I do wonder why the Steelers didn't give Ingram starters reps at some point and allow Highsmith to prove himself. I think Highsmith is a hard worker and a good teammate. He's also a guy who I believe is playing a little better than his stats indicate. However, maybe limit Highsmith early in the season and allow him to focus on what he does well. As the season progressed, they could've increased his snap count and role in the defense.

That defensive turn around for KC directly corilates to KC's offense waking up. It's the offense that has more impact on the "D" turn around than Melvin.

SteveA, I know it's Dan's quote and that's who this is directed back at.

Salute the nation

Well does Tyson Alualu "light up" any stat sheets on any consistent basis?

How about Minkah or how about Heyward?

then again, look what the **** happens when either one of those guys gets hurt. A stat sheet is only good for Fantasy Football.