• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

REPORT – Steelers Set to Interview ESPN’s Louis Riddick for GM Position

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Tuesday morning, NFL Network‘s Ian Rapoport reported that ESPN commentator and former Pitt Panther All-American, Louis Riddick will be interviewing for the Pittsburgh Steelers‘ General Manager position:

The #Steelers are scheduled to interview ESPN commentator Louis Riddick for their vacant GM job, sources say. He last worked in the NFL as the #Eagles Director of Pro Personnel in 2013.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 8, 2022

Riddick, who currently does the Monday Night Football broadcast alongside Brian Griese and Steve Levy, previously said on a SteelerNation Podcast interview earlier last year that Pittsburgh was one of the jobs he would consider leaving television for to do. As mentioned in the tweet above, Riddick last worked in the NFL as the Director of Pro Personnel in 2013 for the Philadelphia Eagles.

This is great and exciting news as Riddick would be the perfect fit in the Steel City once current GM Kevin Colbert finally steps down.

We wish you luck, Louis! And we will keep yinz posted as news about the Steelers’ GM position continues to unfold.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Anyone know more about this guy? Seems to be a significant time away.

Was he crying in the booth about how the horrible officials held back that dynamo Chicago Bears team against the Steelers with their officiating? All of them, if I recall, were going on and on about how the penalties were not even, nevermind there were at least 4 lined up offsides penalties by the dumbass bears. If you're too ******* dumb to notice that lining up offsides is a gimme penalty and that it's stupid as **** to whine about it, then you're way too ******* dumb to be picking talented players.

Joe

Riddick discussing a possible front office job with the Bears:

“Of course I would listen. Of course. It’s the Chicago Bears, man,” Riddick said. “It’s a blue blood franchise. Of course. And you know what … I’ll just leave it at that. Do you need someone who can really connect with Justin Fields, and develop his drop-back game so as to then marry it with his outlandish physical talent and ability to get outside the pocket and create and just really threaten people with his athleticism. Yeah, you do. Can that all be done in one offseason? Probably not. But you sure can make them good enough to where they are at the very least, an 8-8 football team. If not better than that.”

"Non-losing season? Sold."
- Art Rooney, Jr.

Riddick was head of pro player personnel with the Eagles from 2010 to 2013. The team had Andy Reid as head coach and went 10-6, to 8-8, to 4-12, and back to 10-6. That is a combined record of 32-32. ARII's dream - .500. "Non-losing."

0-2 in playoffs. "Who cares, we didn't have a losing season."
- ARII

Last edited:
Riddick discussing a possible front office job with the Bears:

"Non-losing season? Sold."
- Art Rooney, Jr.

Riddick was head of pro player personnel with the Eagles from 2010 to 2013. The team had Andy Reid as head coach and went 10-6, to 8-8, to 4-12, and back to 10-6. That is a combined record of 32-32. ARII's dream - .500. "Non-losing."

0-2 in playoffs. "Who cares, we didn't have a losing season."
- ARII
Interesting. On this board, the HC is responsible for the record AND the acquisition of talent. So, those numbers and the talent that achieved them are Reid's numbers, not the GMs (which Riddick wasn't anyway. He was the head of pro player personnel). Just like Tomlin's numbers are his, not Colbert's.

Anyone know more about this guy? Seems to be a significant time away.
Depot has a decent write up on him. Brother of long-time Steelers DB Coach and short time DC Tim Lewis. Seven year NFL career after playing for Pitt (should appease the homers). Spent time in the front office of 3 different teams; working his way up from scout to director of pro player personnel. Then accepted an analyst job with ESPN.

Has not been in the NFL but ESPN since what 2013. His booth presence was many times bias and not very professional. I seem to remember he was all over us in the Chicago game as well as the Bears got robbed, Ben should go. . Does any of his experience as a ESPN employee relate to a good GM

As a child, I watched his older brother Rob Riddick play college football in the late 70’s/early 80’s at Millersville. He went on to play for the Bills.

So, what qualifies someone to be a competent GM in the NFL? Riddick may fit the bill, but I question the fact that he hasn't worked in the NFL for 10 years and even then, it was Director of Pro Personnel for only a few years. I found him annoying as an analyst on ESPN.

What do they see in him that I don't? Again, I'm not knocking this decision, just don't see the attraction.

Interesting. On this board, the HC is responsible for the record AND the acquisition of talent. So, those numbers and the talent that achieved them are Reid's numbers, not the GMs (which Riddick wasn't anyway. He was the head of pro player personnel). Just like Tomlin's numbers are his, not Colbert's.

Part of Riddick's role - a LARGE part - was talent acquisition. I pointed out that Andy Reid was HC to prevent any argument that the talent was good, and the bad record belonged to the coach.

This is even more shocking than Mike Mayock being hired as a general manager.

This is even more shocking than Mike Mayock being hired as a general manager.

What would it take to get Mike here........................... (not really)

I doubt it could ever happen but Bill Cowher would be a TOP choice.

Salute the nation

Part of Riddick's role - a LARGE part - was talent acquisition. I pointed out that Andy Reid was HC to prevent any argument that the talent was good, and the bad record belonged to the coach.
And I pointed out that some folks on this board would have it both ways. When it comes to Reid, he could only coach the talent he was given. Not that he also had a LARGE part in the acquisition of that talent. No. Just what he's given. However, when it comes to Tomlin ....
In any event, the bad records, Reid or Tomlin, DO belong to the coaches. As does a significant amount of blame/praise for talent acquisition.
Moreover, a head of pro player personnel is usually a title given to the guy who oversees the scouting of players in the league, who have been in the league, practice squad players, etc. That guy isn't "acquiring" talent. He's giving input so the actual GM/Coach can make decisions on who to acquire.

Victory has many fathers… losing is but a ******* child lol

Damn common sense...you're messing up the agenda, Buckeye!!!

Damn common sense...you're messing up the agenda, Buckeye!!!

What agenda? I am trying to figure out why the guy would make an excellent GM. He certainly may, but the declining record of the Eagles is not a selling point.

Okay, so he had little to do with that. Great. So what makes him even qualified to be the GM? Colbert was with BLESTO for six years and Director of Football Operations for the Steelers for ten seasons before becoming GM.

What exactly has Riddick done that compares? As far as I can tell from what I am being told, he had nothing to do with the Eagles personnel.

What agenda? I am trying to figure out why the guy would make an excellent GM. He certainly may, but the declining record of the Eagles is not a selling point.

Okay, so he had little to do with that. Great. So what makes him even qualified to be the GM? Colbert was with BLESTO for six years and Director of Football Operations for the Steelers for ten seasons before becoming GM.

What exactly has Riddick done that compares? As far as I can tell from what I am being told, he had nothing to do with the Eagles personnel.
To be clear, the Steelers never used the term GM before changing Colbert's title. Director of pro personnel is the GM for most teams, Steelers included. Steelers gave KC that title because there was a dumb rule stopping him from sitting in the coaches box unless he was a 'GM' so he got a new title for that reason only.

To be clear, the Steelers never used the term GM before changing Colbert's title. Director of pro personnel is the GM for most teams, Steelers included. Steelers gave KC that title because there was a dumb rule stopping him from sitting in the coaches box unless he was a 'GM' so he got a new title for that reason only.

Great. So change "GM" in my post to "Director of Professional Personnel."

Can anybody actually answer my question?