• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

REPORT – Steelers Set to Interview ESPN’s Louis Riddick for GM Position

Can't wait for Man In the Arena's 'color tone' spin on this...
Unfortunately he isn't the only one who goes there. Others far more respected(that doesn't say much in this case) than him like to make it an issue. Hell my damn baby brother makes it an issue when he is drunk and pissed off about the game and he is normally a good guy.

After reading another thread earlier, I was under the impression he got the ban hammer yesterday.

The question is, are the Steelers looking for an actual GM to run the team or a yes man who does what Tomlin wants. The model since Cowher had Colbert installed was the Colbert had input and coordinated everything but coach had most say. If that continues, it doesn’t matter who is GM.

With Tomlin having so much power, I can’t see any accomplished GM taking the job. I can’t see any GM that wants to build a team with their own evaluations taking the job. Kind of like the DC opening. What DC would want to come and be under Tomlin’s thumb? Only somebody who hasn’t already had the job of DC.

The question is, are the Steelers looking for an actual GM to run the team or a yes man who does what Tomlin wants. The model since Cowher had Colbert installed was the Colbert had input and coordinated everything but coach had most say. If that continues, it doesn’t matter who is GM.

With Tomlin having so much power, I can’t see any accomplished GM taking the job. I can’t see any GM that wants to build a team with their own evaluations taking the job. Kind of like the DC opening. What DC would want to come and be under Tomlin’s thumb? Only somebody who hasn’t already had the job of DC.
You understand that Rooney makes this hire, right? They don't give GM duties to a coach...ever. It's why Cowher didn't get it when they got rid of Donahoe, who was there BEFORE Cowher got to Pittsburgh. We've had 5 DOPP/GMs in Pittsburgh since the merger and we promoted one of them to team President...

Nice to see a Pitt man get interviewed for the job. I know he has experience, it's just been a long time. I typically don't feel comfortable with TV guys who've been away from the game for awhile to return in such a prominent role.

You understand that Rooney makes this hire, right? They don't give GM duties to a coach...ever. It's why Cowher didn't get it when they got rid of Donahoe, who was there BEFORE Cowher got to Pittsburgh. We've had 5 DOPP/GMs in Pittsburgh since the merger and we promoted one of them to team President...

Not on paper, but it was very telling that Colbert was not even given the title of GM. That’s because Cowher had the ultimate control. It was only years later when teams started sniffing around Colbert that his job title changed to GM. That was because GM was considered a vertical job move compared to whatever title he held previous;y and that meant that any team was allowed to talk to Colbert about a GM job. Once Colbert held the title of GM, it meant other GM jobs was a horizontal move and he’d need the Steelers permission To talk to other teams.

Look at how the type of players the Steelers drafted changed dramatically when Tomlin took over. Cowher and Tomlin do not hold the title GM but without a doubt they hold the most sway in determining personnel decisions.

Yes or no. Do you think Colbert had authority to fire Tomlin? It’s obviously no. Steelers have a weak GM model. Kind of like a town that has a city manager and not a mayor.

I did. DOPP for Eagles AND Was. And was a scout for both.

Somebody else in this very thread was telling me that Riddick was NOT the guy handling personnel for the 2010-2013 Eagles.

How did he do? The Eagles during that time drafted the following guys in the first 3 rounds (where the draft is generally made):

2010:
Brandon Graham DE
Nate Allen DB
Daniel Te'o-Nisham DE

2011:
Danny Watkins G
Jaiquan Jarrett DB
Curtish Marsh DB

2012:
Fletcher Cox DT
Mychal Hendricks LB
Vinny Curry DE
Nick Foles QB (4th round, deserves credit for that)

2013:
Lane Johnson OT
Zach Ertz TE
Bennie Logan DT

Really good 2012 draft, solid #1 and #2 2013. Good drafts. Fletcher Cox and Lane Johnson are probably the best of the bunch, picks helped by having the #4 overall in the 2013 draft to pick Johnson. Good drafts, not great given draft slots. The 2011 draft was terrible, the 2010 draft nearly as bad.

That was the sort of information I was hoping to see.

Great. So change "GM" in my post to "Director of Professional Personnel."

Can anybody actually answer my question?
No because there is no answer lol.

I don’t know what Riddick has done to be honest

Director of pro personnel for both Washington and the Eagles. Also the smartest man I ever interviewed. Good luck Lou!
Yeah I hope we hire him. I think he'd be worth a shot

I don't know how you come to that conclusion...GM is higher on the totum pole than HC...

Somebody else in this very thread was telling me that Riddick was NOT the guy handling personnel for the 2010-2013 Eagles.

How did he do? The Eagles during that time drafted the following guys in the first 3 rounds (where the draft is generally made):

2010:
Brandon Graham DE
Nate Allen DB (Solid pro -8 year career)
Daniel Te'o-Nisham DE (4 year career)

2011:
Danny Watkins G
Jaiquan Jarrett DB (4 year career)
Curtish Marsh DB (5 year career)

2012:
Fletcher Cox DT
Mychal Hendricks LB (Solid pro - 9 year career)
Vinny Curry DE (Solid pro - 9 year career)
Nick Foles QB (4th round, deserves credit for that)

2013:

Lane Johnson OT
Zach Ertz TE
Bennie Logan DT (6 year career)

Really good 2012 draft, solid #1 and #2 2013. Good drafts. Fletcher Cox and Lane Johnson are probably the best of the bunch, picks helped by having the #4 overall in the 2013 draft to pick Johnson. Good drafts, not great given draft slots. The 2011 draft was terrible, the 2010 draft nearly as bad.

That was the sort of information I was hoping to see.
Thanks for the information. I see 5 Pro Bowlers (in red), 4 guys who played 6 or more years, 3 guys who were in the league for 4-5 years (each of which played longer than the 3 year average NFL career) and one outright bust.

If we're saying Riddick was responsible for this, then it's not bad. 5 Pro Bowlers drafted in a 4 year period. But, as I stated, he was the DOPP, not the GM. Therefore, he was not responsible for drafting these guys. The GM during that time frame was Howard Roseman. Roseman wasn't responsible for drafting these players either. Andy Reid, head coach and executive vice president of football operations for the Eagles at the time, had the final say in football matters. (So, Andy's win/lose record WAS truly all his).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howie_Roseman

Thanks for the information. I see 5 Pro Bowlers (in red), 4 guys who played 6 or more years, 3 guys who were in the league for 4-5 years (each of which played longer than the 3 year average NFL career) and one outright bust.

If we're saying Riddick was responsible for this, then it's not bad. 5 Pro Bowlers drafted in a 4 year period. But, as I stated, he was the DOPP, not the GM. Therefore, he was not responsible for drafting these guys. The GM during that time frame was Howard Roseman. Roseman wasn't responsible for drafting these players either. Andy Reid, head coach and executive vice president of football operations for the Eagles at the time, had the final say in football matters. (So, Andy's win/lose record WAS truly all his).

"But! But...but that one time!! That one time when the Steelers played the Bears on MNF!! I hate him!!"

Derp

I don't know how you come to that conclusion...GM is higher on the totum pole than HC...

Is it? Can Bama's Athletic Director tell Saban what to do?

There are power struggles all the time between coach and GM. Some teams give GM the power and some the coach.

For teams with a strong GM, he's in charge and can fire the coach and will be the last word on all personnel decisions. The steelers are pretty obviously not that type of team. The Steelers give the HC most of the power. It's been that way since they chose Cowher over Donohoe.

I remember that in the 70s or 80s the San Diego Padres hired their radio play by play guy as the new head coach. It last one or two years, and went poorly.

Just putting that out there

Not on paper, but it was very telling that Colbert was not even given the title of GM. That’s because Cowher had the ultimate control. It was only years later when teams started sniffing around Colbert that his job title changed to GM. That was because GM was considered a vertical job move compared to whatever title he held previous;y and that meant that any team was allowed to talk to Colbert about a GM job. Once Colbert held the title of GM, it meant other GM jobs was a horizontal move and he’d need the Steelers permission To talk to other teams.

Look at how the type of players the Steelers drafted changed dramatically when Tomlin took over. Cowher and Tomlin do not hold the title GM but without a doubt they hold the most sway in determining personnel decisions.

Yes or no. Do you think Colbert had authority to fire Tomlin? It’s obviously no. Steelers have a weak GM model. Kind of like a town that has a city manager and not a mayor.
I think the only person with authority to hire and fire the HC or GM is named Rooney.

Cowher didn't have any GM control. Read his book Heart and Steel. He wanted Javon Kearse in the draft we got Troy Edwards. That drove the rift between him and Donahoe that eventually got Donahoe sacked. Really interesting read and I highly recommend it.

Okay, so he was not the guy who drafted those players.

I ask for the third time - what exactly has Riddick done to merit being hired as GM?

Yeah I hope we hire him. I think he'd be worth a shot

Why? Please be specific - what has he done in a front office role that indicates to you he would be one of the best general managers in the game, because he would be the GM of the Pittsburgh Steelers, arguably the best front office position in the game.

Why? Please be specific - what has he done in a front office role that indicates to you he would be one of the best general managers in the game, because he would be the GM of the Pittsburgh Steelers, arguably the best front office position in the game.
I would like to chant Cowden until the FO hears me. 😁

Okay, so he was not the guy who drafted those players.

I ask for the third time - what exactly has Riddick done to merit being hired as GM?
I'll repeat ... more clearly since you don't seem to understand the progression of "moving up the ladder" ... He's been a scout and the head of scouting of professional personnel. That means he's actually scouted talent and led others in the scouting of talent. It's a progression that leads to at least interviewing for GM jobs if your abilities are well respected.

It seems like what you're trying to say is that only those with GM experience should be considered as GM candidates; which makes no sense.

Edit: Also, Cope has a thread with an interview an interview he conducted with Riddick last year before the season. It's a good piece. You should probably watch it. He's knowledgeable about football in general and specifically about the Steelers. I think he has a little too much love for Haskins. But, he's spot on in saying he thinks the Steelers should have invested more in the OL.

I think what he is saying is why does this guy qualify for the job for the Steelers. I would think a franchise with our history wouldn't be taking a chance on a first time GM. We should be considering the best of the best. I have never heard his name mentioned for a GM job before. We need to clean house. New coach, new GM , new coordinators.

I think most of us on here don’t give a hooey about that. More interested in qualifications,and to be honest I want a GM in place before the Draft. Should be plenty of time to get er done. Interestingly enough you are the first one to bring it up🙂