• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

REPORT – Steelers Set to Interview ESPN’s Louis Riddick for GM Position

Okay, so he was not the guy who drafted those players.

I ask for the third time - what exactly has Riddick done to merit being hired as GM?

He met the criteria under the Rooney Rule?

I guess I broke the ice.lol

Kidding aside...to be fair you'd have look at what other GM's did prior to merit their hiring...especially the successful ones.
I'd bet we'd be surprised.

What everyone wants is for the Rooneys in their heart to believe they've selected the right man for the job. If that man is Riddick, then I'm on board.

Last edited:
I think most of us on here don’t give a hooey about that. More interested in qualifications,and to be honest I want a GM in place before the Draft. Should be plenty of time to get er done. Interestingly enough you are the first one to bring it up🙂
Colbert doesn't officially step down until after the draft.

He met the criteria under the Rooney Rule?

I guess I broke the ice.lol

Kidding aside...to be fair you'd have look at what other GM's did prior to merit their hiring.
I'd bet we'd be surprised.

All I want is for the Rooneys in their heart to believe Riddick is the right man for the job. I dont care about anything else.
He was the first one to meet the criteria I believe. So that is reasonable to think it has something to do with it.

It seems like what you're trying to say is that only those with GM experience should be considered as GM candidates; which makes no sense.

Not even remotely what I wrote. I pointed out Colbert's nearly 20 years of uninterrupted work as a scout, then in the Steelers front office, before he became the GM or what-the-****-ever you want to call the position.

Compare that to Riddick.

Edit: Also, Cope has a thread with an interview an interview he conducted with Riddick last year before the season. It's a good piece. You should probably watch it. He's knowledgeable about football in general and specifically about the Steelers. I think he has a little too much love for Haskins. But, he's spot on in saying he thinks the Steelers should have invested more in the OL.

He thinks the Steelers should have dedicated more draft capital on the offensive line the past couple of years. So do I, and Supe, and Burgundy, and slash, and on and on. That is not exactly an inside-football observation.

He was a lower-level front office guy 9 years ago. That is his main qualification as far as I can tell. He would be a great type of candidate for a team that is in need of somebody to help the franchise find its footing, like the Jaguars or the Panthers - not the Pittsburgh Steelers. We should be hiring the best director of player personnel in the game. Somebody like Beane or Overdorf of the Bills, who have PROVEN that they can build a superb roster.

Oh, and his belief that Dwayne Haskins may be the answer at QB does not help his standing in my view.

Colbert doesn't officially step down until after the draft.
Which is why I wrote that little tid bit.
I want the new guy at the least part of the draft process with KC and the rest of the draft brain thrust.
I think it would be very strange if new guy doesn’t get hired before the draft.

Not even remotely what I wrote. I pointed out Colbert's nearly 20 years of uninterrupted work as a scout, then in the Steelers front office, before he became the GM or what-the-****-ever you want to call the position.

Compare that to Riddick.

He thinks the Steelers should have dedicated more draft capital on the offensive line the past couple of years. So do I, and Supe, and Burgundy, and slash, and on and on. That is not exactly an inside-football observation.

He was a lower-level front office guy 9 years ago. That is his main qualification as far as I can tell. He would be a great type of candidate for a team that is in need of somebody to help the franchise find its footing, like the Jaguars or the Panthers - not the Pittsburgh Steelers. We should be hiring the best director of player personnel in the game. Somebody like Beane or Overdorf of the Bills, who have PROVEN that they can build a superb roster.

Oh, and his belief that Dwayne Haskins may be the answer at QB does not help his standing in my view.
You probably should take a look at the state of the Pittsburgh Steelers right now if you think this isn't a team "that is need of somebody to help the franchise find it's footing".

Riddick's definitely worth a look.

He sounds the part, and drafted some good players with the Eagles.

His overall commentary on the personnel and scheme of the Steelers over the past couple years makes a lot of sense.

I think most of us on here don’t give a hooey about that. More interested in qualifications,and to be honest I want a GM in place before the Draft. Should be plenty of time to get er done. Interestingly enough you are the first one to bring it up🙂
Oh I may have typed it---but don't think it hasn't run through the minds of some here. I had to take a self-induced vacay some time back because of the 'open opinions' of some.

My skin is thick now and I'm not always a conformist anymore...

Why? Please be specific - what has he done in a front office role that indicates to you he would be one of the best general managers in the game, because he would be the GM of the Pittsburgh Steelers, arguably the best front office position in the game.
Dude, give it a ******* rest already. The Steelers arent getting the next Bill Polian to walk through that door anytime soon, so might as well just enjoy the ride. I'm willing to see what he has to offer. Not like this team is on the precipice of a return to the big game right around the corner

Why? Please be specific - what has he done in a front office role that indicates to you he would be one of the best general managers in the game, because he would be the GM of the Pittsburgh Steelers, arguably the best front office position in the game.
What makes it the best front office position in the game?

What qualifications do YOU think someone needs to be considered for GM?

Let's see a list of people you would bring in for interviews...

They have brought in a lot more candidates than I thought they would have, and it appears they aren't done yet. The way this team has been trending, it would have seemed that it would have been an easy in house hire.

I would actually like the Steelers to bring someone in from the outside but I'm afraid these interviews are all smokescreens. They will just promote from within like everyone thought was going to happen.

What makes it the best front office position in the game?

The Steelers have a history of success for two generations. The Steelers give front office the leeway to build the roster without appeasing the owners. The Steelers have a stable working environment, don't shuffle front office like chairs at a card table. Pittsburgh is a beautiful city, a great place to live and raise a family. The city loves its football team obsessively. Only Green Bay can compare.

What qualifications do YOU think someone needs to be considered for GM?

An actual track record of success with a different team. I gave two examples.

Let's see a list of people you would bring in for interviews...

I never understood this "argument." "Oh yeah, who would YOU hire as [whatever position is being debated]?" Uhh, somebody who has actually worked as a GM successfully in the recent past? Or worked as a GM in the recent past? Or worked as a GM? Or did anything remotely similar to what the new GM will be doing?

I also gave two examples above. Also, the Brown interview makes a ton of sense. He fits my criteria 100%. Works as scouting director, directly involved in building the Colts roster (pretty good roster), got three ELITE players in the last four drafts, two in the 2nd round (Jonathan Taylor and Darius Leonard), another who looks like he joins that group in 2022 (Paye).

In other words, a guy who has actually DONE some of the tasks a GM is going to handle and did it well, as of right now.

They have brought in a lot more candidates than I thought they would have, and it appears they aren't done yet. The way this team has been trending, it would have seemed that it would have been an easy in house hire.

Agreed.

But what does that have to do with Riddick's qualifications?

there are now about 6 candidates and Riddick is one of them. Let the best man get the job and go from there. I was hoping they interview Doug Whaley and they still may. The more the merrier to put this franchise on the right track for the future.

You are never going to hire someone else's GM, that is rare. Usually you hire a Director of pro personnel, Head of scouting, or Assistant GM. Background in scouting is a huge plus with this team. Riddick checks all of those boxes.

Like Cowher, he was a talented asset for his team and could have continued to be successful in the NFL, but was charismatic enough to transition to television. I don't hold that against him, but some may. Heck this fan base has been begging Cowher to come back for decades. Raiders got their wish with Chucky. You don't forget how to coach if you did it long enough, just like you don't forget how to assess and find talent.

You are never going to hire someone else's GM, that is rare. Usually you hire a Director of pro personnel, Head of scouting, or Assistant GM. Background in scouting is a huge plus with this team. Riddick checks all of those boxes.

Like Cowher, he was a talented asset for his team and could have continued to be successful in the NFL, but was charismatic enough to transition to television. I don't hold that against him, but some may. Heck this fan base has been begging Cowher to come back for decades. Raiders got their wish with Chucky. You don't forget how to coach if you did it long enough, just like you don't forget how to assess and find talent.
Louis seems like a very smart guy with great insight. Being in the booth had to have help him evaluate the game and more importantly, the Steelers. He has ties to the city. I would like the hire personally.

Not upset that Riddick is under consideration. He seems intelligent and knowledgeable, and at least has some front office experience.

there are now about 6 candidates and Riddick is one of them. Let the best man get the job and go from there. I was hoping they interview Doug Whaley and they still may. The more the merrier to put this franchise on the right track for the future.
This! They seem to be taking a "leave no stone unturned" approach. Even if it may seem unconventional. Which, interviewing Riddick is apparently not, if you go by the Bears and Jaguars interviewing him (along with the Steelers) in the last two years. INTERVIEW as many folks with NFL experience as you can. You might get some fresh perspective on and ideas about your franchise from any one or all of them. HIRE the guy you deem to be the best.

Interesting. On this board, the HC is responsible for the record AND the acquisition of talent. So, those numbers and the talent that achieved them are Reid's numbers, not the GMs (which Riddick wasn't anyway. He was the head of pro player personnel). Just like Tomlin's numbers are his, not Colbert's.
So you have never heard the term Tombert. Ever? But the thing is at one point they had a killer Oline, top three running back, HOF qb, best wr in the game. They had 3/4 of their defense as a first round pick. And they lost to Jacksonville and got **** pumped by the Pats again. Any explanation on that one?

So you have never heard the term Tombert. Ever? But the thing is at one point they had a killer Oline, top three running back, HOF qb, best wr in the game. They had 3/4 of their defense as a first round pick. And they lost to Jacksonville and got **** pumped by the Pats again. Any explanation on that one?
They lost a couple of games. Personally, I remember in both games the players also didn't perform up to par. So, as usual when games are lost at most levels of competitive sports, a combination of coaching and players. Not being privy to the inner workings, I'd hesitate to guess as to which was more or less at fault. There's plenty of y'all to do that for me
*Although the "Tombert" reference was somewhat on point with the conversation, I fail to see how the rest of it is even applicable to the discussion. I also explained how, during Riddick's time with the Eagles, the GM answered to Reid. That's not the case here.

Last edited:
I think what he is saying is why does this guy qualify for the job for the Steelers. I would think a franchise with our history wouldn't be taking a chance on a first time GM. We should be considering the best of the best. I have never heard his name mentioned for a GM job before. We need to clean house. New coach, new GM , new coordinators.
If they are already the best of the best they would already be employed as such.

If they are already the best of the best they would already be employed as such.
So your saying a good GM can't leave the job he is at to take a better job. I'm done drinking the Steeler Kool-aid we haven't made good decisions in years. How many of our coordinators have been hired away for head coaching jobs? We need a complete over haul. All 3 teams in our Division have won playoff games since we last won one. Just let that sink in. Not to mention last 4 playoff games , giving up 40+. Once we start getting killed next year , maybe the rest of you homers will see the light. I defended Tomlin for 10 years , but I've seen enough.

So your saying a good GM can't leave the job he is at to take a better job. I'm done drinking the Steeler Kool-aid we haven't made good decisions in years. How many of our coordinators have been hired away for head coaching jobs? We need a complete over haul. All 3 teams in our Division have won playoff games since we last won one. Just let that sink in. Not to mention last 4 playoff games , giving up 40+. Once we start getting killed next year , maybe the rest of you homers will see the light. I defended Tomlin for 10 years , but I've seen enough.
Correct me if I am wrong but no they can't at least not without the permission of the team they work for. If they are that good they get renewed before their contract expires.

They lost a couple of games. Personally, I remember in both games the players also didn't perform up to par. So, as usual when games are lost at most levels of competitive sports, a combination of coaching and players. Not being privy to the inner workings, I'd hesitate to guess as to which was more or less at fault. There's plenty of y'all to do that for me
*Although the "Tombert" reference was somewhat on point with the conversation, I fail to see how the rest of it is even applicable to the discussion. I also explained how, during Riddick's time with the Eagles, the GM answered to Reid. That's not the case here.
All I'm gonna ask Buckeye is this. Things stay exactly how they have been the last 10 years. How much longer? How many more years do you want it like this? How long before Tomlin should be gone in your mind?

All I'm gonna ask Buckeye is this. Things stay exactly how they have been the last 10 years. How much longer? How many more years do you want it like this? How long before Tomlin should be gone in your mind?
And, I'll answer that while I don't think Tomlin lost the locker room this year, I believe his effectiveness as a Head Coach in Pittsburgh has run its course. Head Coaches can stay in one place for so long that while their players "love" them, the message gets stale. Ironically, since we've been talking about him, we saw this scenario in Philadelphia with Reid.

I don't know how you come to that conclusion...GM is higher on the totum pole than HC...
He came to that conclusion by the fact that the team got rid of Donahoe instead of Cowher. The Steelers proved it by their actions. I think pretty much anyone with some sense could come to that conclusion.