• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Reported: Russell Wilson to Start Against the Jets

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
It sure sounded that way while listening to Tomlin talk. This is a tough defense for Russ to shake off the rust so he better be ready to unload the ball quickly otherwise will be lots of sacks.
I would have preferred they start Justin simply because of his mobility but that’s me.

See, i get why they are doing it.. but I dislike pulling a young QB directly after a bad performance that they ultimately won..
i guess is gets compiled if he struggles vs the Jets D...

This is why I was worried about Fields starting early... I think it would have been way better for him to have gotten a shot later in the season, when he had more time to see the offense work and so a legit comparison could be made between him and Russ

This smells of a promise, why choose to make move now, having just scored 32 and went up 4-2?
weren't you in the other thread crying that there was no way Tomlin would make this move?

now you want to claim there is a super secret promise behind this?

This smells of a promise, why choose to make move now, having just scored 32 and went up 4-2?

Well Wilson supposedly makes better reads and commands the offense better in practice ... listen to Jones' comments about him last week..
the staff seems reluctant to let Fields use the whole field, or he just wont.
With division play coming up, you see what Wilson brings and can switch back at the bye if he sucks

96t8v1.jpg

So much for going with the hot hand. Tomlin will screw this up and end up with no one or only Wilson at the end of the season. Wilson is going to want a large pay check. Even Fields will as well. Fields is the only QB on the roster that has a good bit of upside and has done reasonably well with poor pass protection and Tomlin holding him back as far as throwing downfield. Fields has the intangibles. He just needs the right system and the right play calls. Oh, a real No. 2 WR might help. We have plenty of WR3's/4's/5's (the other WR's fall into one of these). Wilson is here for this year and maybe another year or two if they want to pay him. If you put Wilson in now and he shiznits the bed, then you have to bench him in a week or two and put Fields back in. Both QB's might be disgruntled at that point. They also could have decided they don't want to try to put an offense on the field suitable to Fields' talents and will let him go after the season and try to draft someone with a late first-round pick.

LOL. Tomlick sees another ugly Primetime loss as a strong possiblility and is building in the excuse.

I'm ready for Russ, but the timing is classic Tomlin running from is fears of another Primetime home loss.

So much for going with the hot hand. Tomlin will screw this up and end up with no one or only Wilson at the end of the season. Wilson is going to want a large pay check. Even Fields will as well. Fields is the only QB on the roster that has a good bit of upside and has done reasonably well with poor pass protection and Tomlin holding him back as far as throwing downfield. Fields has the intangibles. He just needs the right system and the right play calls. Oh, a real No. 2 WR might help. We have plenty of WR3's/4's/5's (the other WR's fall into one of these). Wilson is here for this year and maybe another year or two if they want to pay him. If you put Wilson in now and he shiznits the bed, then you have to bench him in a week or two and put Fields back in. Both QB's might be disgruntled at that point. They also could have decided they don't want to try to put an offense on the field suitable to Fields' talents and will let him go after the season and try to draft someone with a late first-round pick.

That was my first thought. Fields won't want to be here next year after this and we'll start another season with a thumb up our butt. Life under Tomlin. Sigh.

Fields may not be playing bad, but it's not like he's lighting it the *&^% up. On NFL.com's passing stats page, he's near the bottom of the page, or on the next page, for a lot of the stuff they are tracking. Maybe we've grown so accustomed to $hitty QB play that Justin looks like a wizard. Russ isn't getting any younger. If he stinks the place up, tell him to sit down and shut up.

It sure sounded that way while listening to Tomlin talk. This is a tough defense for Russ to shake off the rust so he better be ready to unload the ball quickly otherwise will be lots of sacks.
I would have preferred they start Justin simply because of his mobility but that’s me.
Hopefully WRs are open. Of course the 5 yard outs will probably be given to us all game.

I think this is not a good game to change to Russ. Like Justin this guy holds on to the ball too long but minus the mobility.
Justin should be 6-0 if it weren’t for Tomlin’s defense and his poor decisions. I’d say Justin playing behind a patchwork OL and a bunch of mudhens called receivers and one who takes plays off, did pretty damn well. Russ better unload the ball quickly and utilize his RBs in the short passing game otherwise he’s going to take a lot of sacks.

On the bright side. I was told Russ' greatness of years gone by will make everyone play better. WR's will be able to get separation(and catch the ball when it hits them in their hands and/or facemask). OL will be able to hold blocks for a few seconds longer...RB's will grind out a few more yards. It is an ability of Russ' command of the offense that will make everything click as a well oiled machine.

I hope this is all true. Fingers crossed. I will root for Russ on Sunday. I was just hoping Fields would keep the job or at least until his play dictated it to be demoted. I have a strong feeling that they will be installing packages for Fields during the game. I don't know if I would be a fan of that.....unless it works out great of course.:LOL:

LOL. Tomlick sees another ugly Primetime loss as a strong possiblility and is building in the excuse.

I'm ready for Russ, but the timing is classic Tomlin running from is fears of another Primetime home loss.
Yes Tomlin is horrible in primetime, only 41 wins 21 losses??? Give it a break. Please share all of those tons of teams and coaches who have better records in primetime.

I think this is not a good game to change to Russ. Like Justin this guy holds on to the ball too long but minus the mobility.
Justin should be 6-0 if it weren’t for Tomlin’s defense and his poor decisions. I’d say Justin playing behind a patchwork OL and a bunch of mudhens called receivers and one who takes plays off, did pretty damn well. Russ better unload the ball quickly and utilize his RBs in the short passing game otherwise he’s going to take a lot of sacks.
Everyone pro-Russ has been saying the exact opposite. Russ will read the defense and run thru his progressions a 100x quicker than Fields. We will see. Hopefully our OL blocks extra good for Russ.

Fields may not be playing bad, but it's not like he's lighting it the *&^% up. On NFL.com's passing stats page, he's near the bottom of the page, or on the next page, for a lot of the stuff they are tracking. Maybe we've grown so accustomed to $hitty QB play that Justin looks like a wizard. Russ isn't getting any younger. If he stinks the place up, tell him to sit down and shut up.
Meh....I am thinking Russ would be right around the same spot if he was starting all season. This offense isn't designed for 250 plus yards/Four plus passing TD games.