• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Reported: Russell Wilson to Start Against the Jets

Tomlin is in a no win situation here

Start Fields, he ***** the bed....everyone *******

Start Wilson, he ***** the bed.....everyone *******

Start Fields, he plays okay and wins.....half the board says he still should give Wilson a shot

Start Wilson and he plays well.....half the board ******* that Fields did not deserve to be benched

This will be a real litmus test for what this offense can be and what Tomlin allows it to be. With a proven vet like Wilson there is no reason for there not to be downfield passing unless that was never the intension to do in the first place-there had better some passing down the field because Wilson can't win with his legs like Fields did to a large degree in contributing to our 4 wins.

Let's hope there is a package of plays for Fields installed and he's still used on short yardage and in the red zone, he's made a big difference in those areas

Last edited:
Everyone pro-Russ has been saying the exact opposite. Russ will read the defense and run thru his progressions a 100x quicker than Fields. We will see. Hopefully our OL blocks extra good for Russ.
I’m not pro either way I just want the best option at QB but as you say, we’ll see.

Ahh yes, put a less mobil QB in when you are facing a good defense and a O-line in shambles....:ROFLMAO:
Maybe this is Tomlin's master plan. Put Russ in against a good D and no Oline and have him struggle so he can say Fields should have started. I am pretty shocked he would bench Fields. It just does not seem the Tomlin way. We were a 4th down stop from 5-1. I am not against playing Wilson and we have such a unique situation with him that I feel not trying him is a wasted opportunity. I think Justin has done more to win games than lose them, but he is not lighting it up either

Tomlin is in a no win situation here

Start Fields, he ***** the bed....everyone *******

Start Wilson, he ***** the bed.....everyone *******

Start Fields, he plays okay and wins.....half the board says he still should give Wilson a shot

Start Wilson and he plays well.....half the board ******* that Fields did not deserve to be benched
They knew the conundrum possibilities when they brought both aboard. But yeah fans will be fans.

It's all on the line for Russ. Expectations are sky high. And Tomlins mental genius, the qb mind melds, it's all on the line. A defining moment for these men.

This will be a real litmus test for what this offense can be and what Tomlin allows it to be. With a proven vet like Wilson there is no reason for there not to be downfield passing unless that was never the intension to do in the first place-there had better some passing down the field because Wilson can't win with his legs like Fields did to a large degree in contributing to our 4 wins.

Let's hope there is a package of plays for Fields installed and he's still used on short yardage and in the red zone, he's made a big difference in those areas
If the offense looks identical we will know what the problem is.

I might be in minority here but I agree with this one. Maybe not totally fair to Russ but.....
If the offense looks substantially better win or lose keep going with him. If not ......back to Justin in a winnable game against the Giants followed by bye week at which point a final decision needs to be made. Russ is likely rusty but I think it's a good team to play. Tough but beatable.

LOL. Tomlick sees another ugly Primetime loss as a strong possiblility and is building in the excuse.

I'm ready for Russ, but the timing is classic Tomlin running from is fears of another Primetime home loss.
How would his personal decision to start Wilson be an excuse?

On the bright side. I was told Russ' greatness of years gone by will make everyone play better. WR's will be able to get separation(and catch the ball when it hits them in their hands and/or facemask). OL will be able to hold blocks for a few seconds longer...RB's will grind out a few more yards. It is an ability of Russ' command of the offense that will make everything click as a well oiled machine.

I hope this is all true. Fingers crossed. I will root for Russ on Sunday. I was just hoping Fields would keep the job or at least until his play dictated it to be demoted. I have a strong feeling that they will be installing packages for Fields during the game. I don't know if I would be a fan of that.....unless it works out great of course.:LOL:
Why consider this as a demotion? We all 'knew' that Russ was QB1 prior to his calf injury. Fact.

Justin stepped up big time and should hold his head high because of his apparent transformation from a bad QB to a better QB...

I'm mixed on this. I am excited to see Wilson under center, but also saw the benefit of sticking with Fields.
Some benefits but the concerns remain. So they have to see what they have in Wilson sooner than later. They already have a feel for Fields.

Why consider this as a demotion? We all 'knew' that Russ was QB1 prior to his calf injury. Fact.

Justin stepped up big time and should hold his head high because of his apparent transformation from a bad QB to a better QB...
They can also continue in practice to coach him up. Because Russ is a look at for now.

Exactly Berm. Personally I thought Justin did much better than I thought he would. His showing this season will definitely get him a pay day next year. Whether it’s with us or someone else.

I can’t speak for all here, but there can’t be anyone on here that isn’t curious to see what Russ can or can’t do.
The trick for the coaches is if they have to pull the plug. Is it fair if he is rusty not to give him that next game?

Remember there is the difference between a 4th and a 6th rounder if Justin plays 51% of the snaps. I believe that was the terms. Anyone think that comes into play here ?

I hope Russ finds a youth pill. The Jets will be gunning for him. They have a very good secondary, so they can afford to bring the heat.

Maybe this is Tomlin's master plan. Put Russ in against a good D and no Oline and have him struggle so he can say Fields should have started. I am pretty shocked he would bench Fields. It just does not seem the Tomlin way. We were a 4th down stop from 5-1. I am not against playing Wilson and we have such a unique situation with him that I feel not trying him is a wasted opportunity. I think Justin has done more to win games than lose them, but he is not lighting it up either
Tomlin is building in his excuse or another ugly home loss in front of the whole country. It's that simple.