• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Reported: Russell Wilson to Start Against the Jets

Well Wilson supposedly makes better reads and commands the offense better in practice ... listen to Jones' comments about him last week..
the staff seems reluctant to let Fields use the whole field, or he just wont.
With division play coming up, you see what Wilson brings and can switch back at the bye if he sucks
If Tomlin likes Fields and his pedigree, and it appears he does this is a fairly savvy move.

Russ is finally healed so you appease him by getting him out there. If Russ crushes it and gets the offense humming he looks like a genius for making the switch. If Russ struggles like hell against a good D he has sheltered Fields from the confidence hit and appeases the masses who have been clamoring to see what Russ has all in one calculated move.

Fields has looked to be slipping back a bit the last couple weeks so giving him a chance to see Russ drive the car may be beneficial towards his long term growth with the team and allow staff to see what they have in the other option.

He also leaves himself a couple games to play with Fields should Russ get hurt without increasing the draft pick returned to the Bears (not that this is even anywhere near the top of the reasons for the move-if at all).

This does appear to be the right time to give Russ his shot. Fields got some very lucky calls last game to make the numbers look better than he played.

If they wanna poise themselves for a playoff run instead of a one and done yet again it would be wise to take a peak at the cards they are holding in their hand before another flop.

When you do not have a clear starting QB, you do not have clarity for the team to be it's best.

Maybe that best team this season is with Wilson as QB.....no one knows until he gets a couple games.

That said, Fields was awesome running the past couple games, saving losses from poor OL play. If Dangeruss can find other ways to compensate for the OL mistakes, great for the Steelers.

Since this does not feel like a SB caliber team, I would like to see both QBs; after a couple games experimentation, it would be great have a handle on whether Fields can be QB1 going forwards, or whether the R1 pick in the upcoming draft needs to be a QB. And maybe Wilson is a stop gap 2-3 year QB1 with a young QB (like Fields) to mentor.

I get the saying, "on any given Sunday", but if were honest with ourselves, the Steelers won't be lifting a Lombardi this season, so what difference does it make if Wilson starts this weekend? They might as well see what they have in him while he's still on the roster.

Cowboys gave up nearly 50 at home. Raiders started a backup and there were numerous fortunate penalties and turnovers. Fact is, the offense has not been very good. They need to see what Russ can do. Fields' body of work, while improved, is not playoff caliber. It's propped up by the defense for the most part. I'm certainly pulling for either QB to be great.

Cowboys gave up nearly 50 at home. Raiders started a backup and there were numerous fortunate penalties and turnovers. Fact is, the offense has not been very good. They need to see what Russ can do. Fields' body of work, while improved, is not playoff caliber. It's propped up by the defense for the most part. I'm certainly pulling for either QB to be great.

100%. I'm sure part of Tomlin's thinking was a) that we would have lost Sunday to just about anybody but the Raiders and b) everybody has gashed the Cowboy defense but us. Field has been terrible other than running.

Why consider this as a demotion? We all 'knew' that Russ was QB1 prior to his calf injury. Fact.

Justin stepped up big time and should hold his head high because of his apparent transformation from a bad QB to a better QB...
Yep. Even if Russ has a few bad games ...you have to ride him out. I think Tomlin views him as he would Ben. Clear cut number one. When healthy he is the guy. Hopefully he is 100% or very close. It is Russ' show now. Get it done Wilson.

I am a Fields supporter. Everyone knows that. I promise I won't be asking for Fields after every bad play or missed opportunity by Russ. WE RIDE RUSS from here on OUT!!!!!

Ok I watched the press conference. Not sure how a message that both QBs were going to get looks evolved to Russell is starting. He might but that isn’t what was said during the conference.

😅

Media is something else…

This smells of a promise, why choose to make move now, having just scored 32 and went up 4-2?

Funny that we got a whiff of stench as soon as you showed up.
So if true, do you support Tomlins decision to start Russ or not?

Everyone gave their opinion and reasoning except you.

What you will do is wait until the game is decided. You will commence bashing Tomlin on the move if Russ falters.
If Russ looks sharp and leads us to victory you will bash Tomlin for not starting him sooner.
Russ’ reportedly was good to go a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
I get the saying, "on any given Sunday", but if were honest with ourselves, the Steelers won't be lifting a Lombardi this season, so what difference does it make if Wilson starts this weekend? They might as well see what they have in him while he's still on the roster.
This argument doesn't make any sense. Fields didn't play himself out of the starting job.....it was simply his to give to Russ when he was healthy. If the SB championship isn't in reach with Russ at QB....then why even go with Russ? Find out 100% what you have in Fields for a full season then. Russ will not be back next year. Find out what fFelds has for the season to see if the organization wants to extend him for the $$$$ it will cost. Tomlin sees Russ as he would see Ben. Clear cut #1. While I don't exactly agree with that. It is what Tomlin sees...We ride with Russ here on out.

Yep. Even if Russ has a few bad games ...you have to ride him out. I think Tomlin views him as he would Ben. Clear cut number one. When healthy he is the guy. Hopefully he is 100% or very close. It is Russ' show now. Get it done Wilson.

I am a Fields supporter. Everyone knows that. I promise I won't be asking for Fields after every bad play or missed opportunity by Russ. WE RIDE RUSS from here on OUT!!!!!
I,for one will certainly be watching the level of praise you give. And will definitely be calling you out if I don’t deem it enough. 🙄🙄
Shall be an interesting game. I wonder if it will live up to last weeks which you deemed the “best all around game in the last 10 years”.
10 years.

Just having a little bit of fun with you stillwright…..it’s well deserved! Try not to gobble down as many mushrooms this week. 😁😁
Cheers.

I,for one will certainly be watching the level of praise you give. And will definitely be calling you out if I don’t deem it enough. 🙄🙄
Shall be an interesting game. I wonder if it will live up to last weeks which you deemed the “best all around game in the last 10 years”.
10 years.

Just having a little bit of fun with you stillwright…..it’s well deserved! Try not to gobble down as many mushrooms this week. 😁😁
Cheers.
Why would I not root for Wilson? He is a STEELER!!! Not the call I personally would have made. I have zero say in it though. Tomlin should/has to ride Russ from here on out. As long as he is healthy. This move shows us Russ is the guy. I wish him all the success he can get. Crazy you or anyone would think I would see it otherwise.

This argument doesn't make any sense. Fields didn't play himself out of the starting job.....it was simply his to give to Russ when he was healthy. If the SB championship isn't in reach with Russ at QB....then why even go with Russ? Find out 100% what you have in Fields for a full season then. Russ will not be back next year. Find out what fFelds has for the season to see if the organization wants to extend him for the $$$$ it will cost. Tomlin sees Russ as he would see Ben. Clear cut #1. While I don't exactly agree with that. It is what Tomlin sees...We ride with Russ here on out.
Well… yinz might want to wait until they name him the starter. As it is right now they are giving both looks this week.

Well… yinz might want to wait until they name him the starter. As it is right now they are giving both looks this week.
Sure they are. ;)

Sure they are. ;)
Guy said it with a straight face I have no reason to think he is lying. Russ might show better and get the start but yeah they will be looking at both and giving both opportunities this week.

Ok I watched the press conference. Not sure how a message that both QBs were going to get looks evolved to Russell is starting. He might but that isn’t what was said during the conference.

😅

Media is something else…
It is him getting the first team reps that says that, indirectly. With only 6 hours of on field practice you don't give the first team reps to the guy you are not planning on starting.

😅

Media is something else…
“Justin has looked good at times……not to be confused with being great”.

I just watched part of it too Slash. He definitely left the door open.I get the feeling He’ll be answering QB questions nonstop for the next few years.

It is him getting the first team reps that says that, indirectly. With only 6 hours of on field practice you don't give the first team reps to the guy you are not planning on starting.
They both are getting first team reps.

Why would I not root for Wilson? He is a STEELER!!! Not the call I personally would have made. I have zero say in it though. Tomlin should/has to ride Russ from here on out. As long as he is healthy. This move shows us Russ is the guy. I wish him all the success he can get. Crazy you or anyone would think I would see it otherwise.
Your sense of humor is off the charts. My post was in response to you and our conversation last Sunday. Lighten up dude. And as I said last Sunday….a little fresh air might do you some good.

This will be a real litmus test for what this offense can be and what Tomlin allows it to be. With a proven vet like Wilson there is no reason for there not to be downfield passing unless that was never the intension to do in the first place-there had better some passing down the field because Wilson can't win with his legs like Fields did to a large degree in contributing to our 4 wins.

Let's hope there is a package of plays for Fields installed and he's still used on short yardage and in the red zone, he's made a big difference in those areas

You’re asking for a lot right out of the gate. I think it will be a ball control play for Wilson. Once he has established the rust - B - gone and his game speed is in sync,……… then you have a chance for what you are wishing for. This game will be conservative to a degree and once they can see Russ in action, then they may open it up a little.

Great post and thanks for all along the way.

Salute the nation

I mean I guess you have to see what your offseason plans are... signing either of these guys is gonna probably cost Daniel Jones money at a bare minimum... so you have to decide is it going to be Fields for at least a few years, or Wilson for a couple years and drafting a Replacement in a year or two...

I think this is not a good game to change to Russ. Like Justin this guy holds on to the ball too long but minus the mobility.
Justin should be 6-0 if it weren’t for Tomlin’s defense and his poor decisions. I’d say Justin playing behind a patchwork OL and a bunch of mudhens called receivers and one who takes plays off, did pretty damn well. Russ better unload the ball quickly and utilize his RBs in the short passing game otherwise he’s going to take a lot of sacks.
Is Russ going to have different WR’s and Oline?

The Emperor had this exact same problem before our first Super Bowl victory. I'm not saying Tomlin is Noll by any stretch but sometimes these things have a way of working themselves out

😅

Media is something else…
At this point I would give Fields until the bye week. Both winnable home games and if he doesn't play well, win or lose, go all-in on Russ during the bye giving the entire offense extra time to prepare with a new QB. I know other teams can just plug in a scrub off the street and get a brilliant performance for at least one week, but not the Steelers. Well, outside of Rudolph at the end of last season. I just somehow believe if Russ plays this week they'll be in full turtle mode.