• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Responsible Gun Owners

Background checks are nice but they will only show convictions and they do not always predict future behavior.
If someone has a history of convictions for violent things, okay fine, they don't get a gun (legally). But it doesn't solve the problem of people getting guns who were 1) never caught doing bad things, 2) go crazy later, and 3) get guns illegally. Therefore it doesn't make sense to prevent the law-abiding population from arming themselves.

Great discussion, and thanks for bringing up solid points.

I think the reason why I am less opposed to a gun license, is some of us have conceal carry permits. To me this would be an extension of the CCP. Perhaps call it a gun permit instead of a gun license? I don't feel the gov is tracking me because I have a CCP, even though they know I have one. I don't feel they will be able to take my guns because they know I have guns. My NRA hat and stickers already let other people know that.

I also know the government already has a record of my ownership from the background check I filled out to get a firearm.

I also fully understand the right vs privilege. It is all of our right to own a gun, but we don't go around handing out free guns to everyone. Why not? Because it would be reckless and dangerous. There is a difference with gun ownership, because it is more responsibility for those who choose to exercise that right. It is the only right we have that comes with stipulations and consequences.

And Sarge, thanks for sharing your military views. I agree with you, and feel that gun owners are demonized at times from the media during mass shooting events, but how much have we lost as gun owners? I feel people that are against guns have made very little headway in any real restrictions whatsoever to gun ownership.

You failed to address the elephant in the room. Legislation passed by Congress to create gun free zones. "Criminals" do not obey that law and it must be repealed. Those politicians made children targets. Since schools and other similar institutions are gun free zones, let's make all government buildings fun free zones. I would also include celebrities in those gun free zones. Then let's see how fast these folks change their tune. Those folks have armed security, let's take that away from them also. My guess is that they would fight tooth and nail to stop that from happening, but they won't do a damn thing to protect our children. As former Marine, these people are just a bunch of hypocrites.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Steeler Nation mobile app

These are good points. What would be your ideas on helping to make them reduce gun violence?

Bring back insane asylums. We need a place to stash the crazies. Mental hospitals were created for a reason.

Bring back insane asylums. We need a place to stash the crazies. Mental hospitals were created for a reason.

It's one way to fix the homeless problem.

I can't say much more about owning a gun vs. owning a car. Tim nailed that one. It is a right vs. a privilege. Not a good comparison.

Don’t kid yourself, they’re both protected privileges that can be revoked. If a cop pulled you over and confiscated your car for no reason, you wouldn’t just shrug it off and accept it, you’d feel that your rights had been violated. The law actually protects the privilege of owning and operating a car much more than the privilege of owning a gun. There are tens of thousands of alcoholics with multiple DUIs and convicted felons who still have the privilege of owning and operating a car.

Don’t kid yourself, they’re both protected privileges that can be revoked. If a cop pulled you over and confiscated your car for no reason, you wouldn’t just shrug it off and accept it, you’d feel that your rights had been violated. The law actually protects the privilege of owning and operating a car much more than the privilege of owning a gun. There are tens of thousands of alcoholics with multiple DUIs and convicted felons who still have the privilege of owning and operating a car.

it's becoming tiresome educating you.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

read this until you understand it.

it's becoming tiresome educating you.

read this until you understand it.

Sounds like the “right” to own a car. Tim and Sarge say that’s not so. What’s your point?

I clearly stated "read until you understand."
When you do understand, you won't bother with mocking questions such as in post 34.

Sounds like the “right” to own a car. Tim and Sarge say that’s not so. What’s your point?

Your scenario is set up so that it is a car that is taken. It isn't the right to own a "car", it is your right to your own property that is the issue, not the "right" to own a car. Your property cannot be taken from you without due process. At least, theoretically.

For what it is worth, in case you confuse the two, the Constitution does not GRANT these rights. It delineates these rights will not be violated by the government and reinforces that the government cannot violate these rights.

standing-ovation.gif

giphy.gif

Nothing about driving a car in the constitution.

Don’t kid yourself, they’re both protected privileges that can be revoked.

They are not both protected privileges. Everything you say after that is at fault, in error because you start on the premise that the two are one in the same.

They

Are

Not

Your scenario is set up so that it is a car that is taken. It isn't the right to own a "car", it is your right to your own property that is the issue, not the "right" to own a car. Your property cannot be taken from you without due process. At least, theoretically.

For what it is worth, in case you confuse the two, the Constitution does not GRANT these rights. It delineates these rights will not be violated by the government and reinforces that the government cannot violate these rights.

“Your property cannot be taken from you” is a right.

“Your property cannot be taken from you without due process” makes that right a privilege.

People can legally own cars and guns, both of which can also be legally confiscated. One is no more of a right than the other.

“Your property cannot be taken from you without due process” makes that right a privilege.

People can legally own cars and guns, both of which can also be legally confiscated. One is no more of a right than the other.

Good God, Flog. I mean...just.... Aw **** it.

The amount of fucktardness you bring to this board boggles my mind at times. Just when I thought you couldn't surprise me further...

Well, you always do.

The constitution says "property without due process".....

It also says "right to bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED". Not one word about due process there.

re-read this. sound it out. go slow on the bigger words.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

re-read this. sound it out. go slow on the bigger words.

Did you mean to quote the 4th Amendment on unlawful search and seizure? I'm not sure what Pleading the 5th has to do with this topic. Or is there a joke I'm missing that Trog should be pleading the 5th?

Also, I know we're going a bit off topic with cars vs guns. Can't guns be confiscated if you forget your conceal carry permit, or don't have a permit for the gun on you?

Tim, Is calling it a permit instead of a license less of an issue?

You failed to address the elephant in the room. Legislation passed by Congress to create gun free zones. "Criminals" do not obey that law and it must be repealed. Those politicians made children targets. Since schools and other similar institutions are gun free zones, let's make all government buildings fun free zones. I would also include celebrities in those gun free zones. Then let's see how fast these folks change their tune. Those folks have armed security, let's take that away from them also. My guess is that they would fight tooth and nail to stop that from happening, but they won't do a damn thing to protect our children. As former Marine, these people are just a bunch of hypocrites.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Steeler Nation mobile app

Good point, though Federal buildings and court houses are gun free zones, and they don't get shot up.

I will agree that a gun free zone do nothing to keep children safe. Just like drug free zones didn't keep drugs out of schools.

Good point, though Federal buildings and court houses are gun free zones, and they don't get shot up.

I will agree that a gun free zone do nothing to keep children safe. Just like drug free zones didn't keep drugs out of schools.

Federal buildings and court houses also have armed security.