• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Roethlisberger Set to Return Sunday Night

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Ben Roethlisberger plans to suit up for the Pittsburgh Steelers when they take on the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday night. This of course was announced by the team hours ago.

Offensive coordinator Matt Canada indicated as much to the media on Thursday, having disclosed he’s spoken to the veteran quarterback every day this week and that Roethlisberger is preparing for the game like he intends to play.

“It’s almost like last year, all the Zoom meetings,” Canada said. “We’ve all got practice at that. He’s very much engaged watching practice and knowing what’s going on.”

Roethlisberger had discussions with quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan regarding the Steelers’ game plan for the weekend and has attended all meetings virtually.

The Steelers were forced to start Mason Rudolph last week with Roethlisberger out. That resulted in a tie to the winless Detroit Lions. With Roethlisberger available they have a greater chance of winning than with Rudolph controlling things from under center and NFL picks forums are pointing this out. The Steelers are 9/4 for a win on Sunday, with the Chargers favored at 4/11.

“Our plan is what it was. Mason had a lot of reps in our plan,” Canada explained. “But in the way we believe is right, if we have six plays on 3rd-and-6, Ben may see one and like it the best — I think that’s important. And Mason may like one differently. So, we kind of restructured a little bit that way, as far as things he liked. But what the players had practiced and what he’d done, we kind of went from there and moved forward.”

Rudolph wasn’t sure as to whether he’d be the one starting at QB for Pittsburgh vs the Chargers when he was asked these questions earlier this week, but told the media he was ready either way and the Steelers simply want to win.

“That’s the battle between self and team, I think. … At the end of the freaking day, what matters is the team and going out and winning the game,” he said after practice on Thursday. “Regardless of who’s playing the quarterback position, the Steelers, we want to win.”

While he’s looking to prove he’s worthy of being the starting quarterback for the Steelers, Rudolph says he will support Roethlisberger if he’s the one who gets the nod on Sunday.

“That’s all I can do is try to prove myself again this week, if I get the opportunity,” Rudolph said. “If not, support the crap out of Ben and our team.
Mason Rudolph preparing to be starter again this week vs Chargers @wtae #Pittsburgh #steelers pic.twitter.com/edv9KjwV1X

— Brian Caldwell (@bcaldwell_WTAE) November 17, 2021

“Every opportunity is a chance to prove to my teammates and to our coaches that I want to be a starter, can be a starter. I’m not going to put any pressure on it more than I did [last] Sunday, or practice today. I’m my own hardest critic, at times to a fault, but I’m excited about it if I’m the guy.”

According to NFL analyst Jay Glazer, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin doesn’t want to start next season with a rookie QB if Roethlisberger chooses to call it quits at the end of the current campaign. Glazer, who is known to have a relationship with Tomlin, said as much a month ago and, speaking on the Pat McAfee Show this Wednesday, said it’s unlikely Rudolph will be the one who steps up as the permanent replacement for Ben, who will be allowed to leave on his own terms.

“It’s kind of up to Ben. Kind of like how it was with Drew Brees with the Saints, too. It’s like we’re not going to push him out. As long as he wants to go, he is just going to keep going,” the analyst remarked. “I think they were a little surprised he came back. But, no. If Ben wants to go, Ben is going to go. But, I don’t see him going back after this year.”

He also noted that the next draft will not be a great one for quarterbacks, which is why he doesn’t think Tomlin will go for a rookie and could be keen on trading for a top QB or snatching one up from free agency.

“It’s going to be more of these other, the Deshaun Watsons, if Russell (Wilson) will be out there, Aaron (Rodgers), I mean those type of guys,” Glazer added. “There’s going to be a huge market.”

Rodgers may very well be the hottest commodity on the market next year and the Steelers will be sure to make a run at him if that turns out to be the case.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..