• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Romney as secretary of state?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
It looks that way. Other choices are Rudy G, John Bolton, and some or Bob Corker.

I actually think Romney has a diplomatic air about him, and Trump with his style and delivery could need a secretary of State like Romney.

The thing is Romney was very Anti-Trump and it's on record. He was also very pro-Trump when running for president, and that's on record too.

By picking Romney, Trump can be viewed as very pragmatic. Or by giving him a real chance, he can also be viewed as pragmatic.

My choice would be Jon Huntsman. He was the ambassador to China, and a governor in the state of Utah. Dealing with China or Russia will be key. He also has roots that date back to Ronald Reagan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Huntsman_Jr.

reading the tea leaves

HEEL!

Mitt Romney speaks well of Donald Trump after dinner meeting

After a dinner meeting with Donald Trump at Jean-Georges restaurant in New York, Mitt Romney delivered a glowing review of the president-elect’s leadership during the transition.

Mr. Romney, who was invited to the dinner purportedly for a follow-up interview for the job of secretary of state, described it as a “wonderful evening” and said that he was “impressed” with Mr. Trump’s handling of his upset victory in the election.

“We had another discussion about affairs throughout the world and these discussions I’ve had with him have been enlightening, and interesting, and engaging,” Mr. Romney, the 2012 Republican presidential nominee, told reporters outside the restaurant.

Mr. Romney said that from what he’s seen of Mr. Trump’s leadership during the transition, he was optimistic that “America’s best days are ahead of us.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/29/mitt-romney-speaks-well-donald-trump-after-dinner-/

--------------------

good pup, now roll over

I am ok with this. It's ok to have people who don't view the things the same way. Trump is possibly looking at is as whether or not he's the best fit for the job right now, regardless of where he was during the election. It's about moving forward and bringing the party and country together. (doesn't matter who he picks, the libs will hate it)

- Romney is a key to the hard core conservatives (not the biggest reason but a reason)
- He is possibly the most statesman like/appearing and speaking. He is well respected on both sides of the isle and around the globe.
(Not sure how well 'liked he is' but I'm pretty sure he is respected)
-He can be fired

**** the "hard core conservatives", whatever that means now - they were mostly all Cruz or JEB! supporters.

This is a Revolution. Trump can choose whoever he wants, he's the winner

I'd name Ark.

So, of course, there would be a built-in blame factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Romney is a smart choice. He actually has a lot in common with Trump. They are both successful businessmen, and that common element of wanting to put all US dealings in favor of America, is the way to go. I think Romney is on board with that, and would be an ally to do that for the Trump administration.

Even though Trump gets to decide who he wants, he will be viewed as the bigger man, if he gives this important position to someone who openly opposed his presidency. This is a good business move, that will be seen as a good political move. In business, you make a lot of money with people you don't like. This is no different, and hopefully, America will be the one making money on the future trade deals.

Romney is a smart choice. He actually has a lot in common with Trump. They are both successful businessmen, and that common element of wanting to put all US dealings in favor of America, is the way to go. I think Romney is on board with that, and would be an ally to do that for the Trump administration.

Even though Trump gets to decide who he wants, he will be viewed as the bigger man, if he gives this important position to someone who openly opposed his presidency. This is a good business move, that will be seen as a good political move. In business, you make a lot of money with people you don't like. This is no different, and hopefully, America will be the one making money on the future trade deals.

Romney would be working for Trump. I'd still prefer John Bolton but Romney would be fine I think.

Kiss it Mitt

ha ha

CyeU0lVVEAEOQQu.jpg

Last edited:
I am ok with this. It's ok to have people who don't view the things the same way. Trump is possibly looking at is as whether or not he's the best fit for the job right now, regardless of where he was during the election. It's about moving forward and bringing the party and country together. (doesn't matter who he picks, the libs will hate it)

- Romney is a key to the hard core conservatives (not the biggest reason but a reason)
- He is possibly the most statesman like/appearing and speaking. He is well respected on both sides of the isle and around the globe.
(Not sure how well 'liked he is' but I'm pretty sure he is respected)
-He can be fired

Also I'd bet that neither Romney or Trump will bow to kiss the ring of the Saudi king.

Romney would be working for Trump. I'd still prefer John Bolton but Romney would be fine I think.

Bolton is not a good peacetime choice, even if he's often right. Too much baggage. I'd rather go with Romney, he's smarter and more diplomatic.

I think romney is sleazy, but a better pick than Rudy G. If it doesn't work out i am sure trump won't have problem relieving him of his duties.

I have no problem with Romney or Bolton, though I prefer Romney. Juliani should not be anywhere near foreign dignitaries. He's emotionally reckless, and doesn't have the character to represent US interests internationally.

Find Rudy a nice cabinet position where he doesn't have to be in the public eye. The HUD?

I'd rather see him pick Petraeus. A take no **** general would be a lot better than limp-wristed Romney.