• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rooney Confident in Mike Tomlin

I've been a Tomlin supporter completely until this year. Now, he is losing me.

Just read the chat on the PG from yesterday. Someone posted, if the standard is the standard, then winning SB's has always been that standard. Now, based on Rooney's comments and many others, winning a lot of games seems to be the standard and not necessarily winning SB's. I believe it was Dulac's chat and he seemed to agree with the comment.

Anytime an owner has to say this, it means his confidence has gone down and he needs to defend him for the time. Famous last words by many owners before firing the head coach. Tomlin's contract is up in 2020. Since Rooney likely won't fire him, perhaps they just let the contract expire and find better.

Our offense scored 42 points on the #2 ranked defense in the NFL while our defense gave up 42 points to Blake Bortles, the 29th ranked QB in the NFL. This is the same team that scored a whooping 10 points against the Bills a week earlier and was held to 24 points by the Patriots crap defense. The Jaguars offense AVERAGED 24 points per game this season. Even with the points taken off the board we still gave up 35 points to a team that averaged 24.

If Tomlin had not decided to run two of the worst plays ever for 3rd or 4th and a half a yard, we may very well have dropped 50+ on the Jags. I would say the offense did more than enough to win this game, unless you expect perfection out of the offense.

Perfection is one thing, but an O that gives up 3 or 7, no big deal. An O that gives up 10+ and puts you in a hole early? it is hard to overcome. Again, Bortles did NOT put up 42 points, it was 35, max.. Bortles had 14 completions in 26 attempts (a lot of yards per attempt and, without going back to look, id suggest a lot of that was YAC). Fournett had 3 TD's on 109 yards rushing.

The greatest coach ever had a BU QB put up 41 points and 374 yards on his team. In 7 games, Foles threw 5 TD's. He throws 3 vs the greatest coach ever. Against the #5 ppg D in the game. Foles career rating is under 90.

Brady made ONE mistake, the fumble that sealed the game and the greatest coach ever couldn't overcome it. That fumble did not give the Eagles any points. Our O gave up 10-14.

No one has argued the play calls on those 4th downs were good. I would argue that going for it wasn't stupid, but the toss and run to the outside was ****** up. I would also argue that the pass to JuJu is something he would normally catch AND that there was an uncalled penalty, so I'm not worked up over that call. BTW, there is NO guarantee a QB sneak gets you those 1sts or that a FG would have been made. On the toss, they were, certainly, higher percentage, but it is not like Jax defense couldn't have stopped a sneak.

I'd also argue that going for TD's on those 4th and longs were very risky plays when all you needed was 10 yards or so, but they ended up in TD's. Probably, Ben's call on those, right?

All of us tomlin "nut huggers" have noted that the coaching failed this game, too, why cant you people admit that, even with the coaching errors, the game was winnable without either of those turnovers? Sure, a couple of better coaching decisions could have made getting over that 2TO hump a higher probability, but it is very hard to win when your O gives up 10+ points. The very idea seems to abhor you.

Anytime an owner has to say this, it means his confidence has gone down and he needs to defend him for the time. Famous last words by many owners before firing the head coach. Tomlin's contract is up in 2020. Since Rooney likely won't fire him, perhaps they just let the contract expire and find better.

or it means he was asked a question an answered it......

Your coach? My point is the whole team sucked coaching included..it happens = glossed over

What??? This is a team with 8 pro bowl players that finished 13-3. Talent of the players is not our issue. Bad head coaching decisions / lack of adjustment during games, the team culture of diva players, and the defense ( run by Tomlin )

what??? This is a team with 8 pro bowl players that finished 13-3. Talent of the players is not our issue. Bad head coaching decisions / lack of adjustment during games, the team culture of diva players, and the defense ( run by tomlin )

the whole team sucked vs jacksonville

What??? This is a team with 8 pro bowl players that finished 13-3. Talent of the players is not our issue. Bad head coaching decisions / lack of adjustment during games, the team culture of diva players, and the defense ( run by Tomlin )

one of those pro-bowl players gave the other team 10+ points. The talent is not in question, it is the execution.

The 4th and short pass to JuJu is a play with a reasonable percent of success. i think. Both players involved are very talented. I'd put money on that being completed 75%+ of the time. The result was a failed 4th and short. Talent and execution are not always in sync on every play and, being out of sync on a critical play can **** up the game as bad as poor coaching.

you know, exactly what AJ is saying.