• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rooney Confident in Mike Tomlin

Turnover on Downs is a Turnover in my book...

I will agree with that.. and i honestly dont remember if the ensuing drives led to points??

Huh how were the turnovers on Haley they occured in the first half?? 31 points = bad coaching correct. The eagles gave up more and more yards and all im hearing is good coaching. If Graham doesnt step up and strips Brady is it still goor coaching?

You cant attribute the 42 points by the offense and gloss over the 14 points they also help give away..

And for the record i didnt like either 4th and 1 call or tye onside kick. The whole team offense defense and coaching ****** up that game

The 2 turnovers you were referring to weren't the turnovers I was referring to, hence the quotes. Like Cope said, turning the ball over on downs is similar to a turnover since it's the same result. Ben's 2 turnovers were on him...the other 2 "turnovers" on 4th and 1 were on Haley.

31 points doesn't automatically equal bad coaching...agreed. If it was 31 points to the Pats or Rams or Saints it's understandable...those teams are going to score. But it was 31 points to the team with the worst offense in the playoffs and with a worse offense than many teams who sat at home during the playoffs and arguably the worst starting QB in the league. And it was also how we were giving up yards. Guys running wide open on numerous occasions indicates a flaw in scheme. And we hear after the game Tomlin made most of the calls on D...brilliant.

Tomlin made the 4th down calls as well, per him in the presser. The offense gave up 10 points, the D is allowed to stop Jax after the first turnover.

The offense played well above their average in both yards and points
The defense played way below their average in both yards and points.

14 of the points the defense gave up can be directly contributed to the QB..not pointing it out to blame just wondering why its ok to gloss over this

The QB for this football team is the reason this team is even relevant. You take him out of the equation then what? You going to put Antonio Brown to play QB. Oh no wait, let’s put in Lev Bell. These two are great pieces to the puzzle but you still need the most important part of your puzzle and that is Ben.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

I’ll say this and I as holding back on it but so what. Tomlin in 2008 just needed to stay the **** out of the way. This team didn’t need him to win that SB. The coaching strengths that year were Dick Lebeau who still had many strong pieces on his defense that he could utilize and BA with multiple weapons and knowing how to run his offense to its strengths.
It certainly wasn’t ******* Tomlin two years on the job after a one year stint as defensive coordinator for the Vikings.
He has gotten way more credit than he deserves. He’s a fraud.

The QB for this football team is the reason this team is even relevant. You take him out of the equation then what? You going to put Antonio Brown to play QB. Oh no wait, let’s put in Lev Bell. These two are great pieces to the puzzle but you still need the most important part of your puzzle and that is Ben.

Never said take him out. Im saying his turn overs cant be glossed over because we scored 42 points.

The 2 turnovers you were referring to weren't the turnovers I was referring to, hence the quotes. Like Cope said, turning the ball over on downs is similar to a turnover since it's the same result. Ben's 2 turnovers were on him...the other 2 "turnovers" on 4th and 1 were on Haley. /QUOTE]

Point taken

So scoring 42 points is the teams problem? Maybe we need to score 75 if our Defense is going to give up almost 50 in our last game. Yeah Ben's the problem, he just won't play Defense too. At least he doesn't have to kick for Us.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Steeler Nation mobile app

Of course it is. If the D would have played even average, we would have won the game. You need all three phases to win and it all starts in the trenches with the big uglies. Our D front (mainly the schemes we try to run with 3 guys rushing and only 2 DL) is terrible. We get pushed all over the place, especially in the run game and other teams know it.

Never said take him out. Im saying his turn overs cant be glossed over because we scored 42 points.

So what’s your point? No one is glossing over anything. He turned over a strip sack for a TD. It happens! Who got gouged for the other 38 points?
Your coach did not have his team prepared. They came out flat and were behind 28-7 but Ben is the reason they even got back in.
He’s not the problem. Most know who the problem is.

So what’s your point? No one is glossing over anything. He turned over a strip sack for a TD. It happens! Who got gouged for the other 38 points?
Your coach did not have his team prepared. They came out flat and were behind 28-7 but Ben is the reason they even got back in.
He’s not the problem. Most know who the problem is.

Your coach? My point is the whole team sucked coaching included..it happens = glossed over

If I’m Rooney there’s no effin way I give MRS another extension until he at least gets to a SB. He needs a fire lit under his ***.

This is easy to agree with, unless getting to the Super Bowl was stopped by something outrageous.

So scoring 42 points is the teams problem? Maybe we need to score 75 if our Defense is going to give up almost 50 in our last game. Yeah Ben's the problem, he just won't play Defense too. At least he doesn't have to kick for Us.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Steeler Nation mobile app

Defense gave up, at most, 38....arguably as low as 32...

Hes the coach. I just dont blame everything on coaches. Its not my fall back for EVERYTHING

you and I have both mentioned that the coaches ****** up, too, but that is, mostly, ignored.

I don't know many game plans that can cover up for your Offense directly giving up 10-14 points, though. It would have been nice for our Defense to figure out how to get a turnover, though.

Hes the coach. I just dont blame everything on coaches. Its not my fall back for EVERYTHING

Fall-back now! The buck stops with the HC as it should. He did not have his team prepared to play Jacksonville, but more toward a rematch with the team he cannot beat and therefore focus was lost on the next opponent. That’s what he does. He’s not prepared and therefore neither is his team.
Without Ben there would be no Tomlin since he would have been gone long ago.

Ben makes mistakes, of course he does, but more than makes up for it with all the positive plays he makes.

This team has the talent to have been in this recent super bowl but lacked the coaching leadership and direction to get the job done.

Nothing new..

Fall-back now! The buck stops with the HC as it should. He did not have his team prepared to play Jacksonville, but more toward a rematch with the team he cannot beat and therefore focus was lost on the next opponent. That’s what he does. He’s not prepared and therefore neither is his team.

Ben makes mistakes, of course he does, but more than makes up for it with all the positive plays he makes.

This team has the talent to have been in this recent super bowl but lacked the coaching leadership and direction to get the job done.

Whatever you say boss..i already said everyone involved sucked

I agree. Ben made Cowher a winner also. To average coaches that got over the hump with a HOFer at QB.

I'm disappointed in Tomlin's coaching and team management approaches. To hear that Rooney is sooooo confident in him feels either like either smoke up my butt or delusional thinking. I'm going with delusional thinking being the case. It feels similar to the refusal to move on from Slash. Come on already. Jeez.

I agree. Ben made Cowher a winner also. To average coaches that got over the hump with a HOFer at QB.

Other than you, who mentioned Cowher? Believe me, he had his moments when one wondered if he was even in the same stadium. Those what the **** moments.
The one thing I will say though about Cowher, until Ben came along, and your correct that having Ben pushed him over the top, he got to the playoffs and even a SB with essentially backup QBs.

The list is long of average to career backup QBs but the team won.

Seriously though, if tomorrow Ben said , screw it I’m retiring. Would you not be concerned that a Tomlin would fall flat on his face?
I mean Landry Jones at the Helm with Mike Tomlin throughout an entire 16 game schedule. Not spot duty here and there, but an entire season.
This team can win without Lev Bell and even AB and it has in the past. Believe me I’m glad we have them both, but they just cannot win without Ben and won’t until the next franchise QB comes along to make Tomlin look better than he actually is.
Tomlin needs to let Butler and Fitchner coach and if they don’t do the job, then it’s up to him to replace them. When players screw up then he needs to address it with them. He needs to keep his players always focused on the next opponent and not be obsessed with one that he’s failed to conquer. One game at a time.
And for Gods sake teach these guys the art of tackling. He was supposed to be this defensive wiz, then have them practice tackling until such a basic fundamental becomes second nature.
Tomlin just leaves so much more to be desired. Big disappointment to many of us.

We have two sides....Tomlin sucks, he’s the problem. Or, Tomlin isn’t the problem. While it’s true there are some serious issues with the coaching of players, tackling primarily, when do you fit the bill on the players? The skill position players can hone their craft without limitation. But coaching tackling is prohibited because of the CBA. These guys can’t practice live tackling until training camp. That’s maybe 12 days total before a preseason game. How in the world can a player practice the art of tackling in the profession if you can’t do it live in the offseason but only 12 days leading up the the regular season. Cowher had two a days the majority of his coaching stint. God, Chuck’s practices would probably kill today’s players because they are so coddled. When do you put the onus on the players doing the work?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

you and I have both mentioned that the coaches ****** up, too, but that is, mostly, ignored.

I don't know many game plans that can cover up for your Offense directly giving up 10-14 points, though. It would have been nice for our Defense to figure out how to get a turnover, though.

Our offense scored 42 points on the #2 ranked defense in the NFL while our defense gave up 42 points to Blake Bortles, the 29th ranked QB in the NFL. This is the same team that scored a whooping 10 points against the Bills a week earlier and was held to 24 points by the Patriots crap defense. The Jaguars offense AVERAGED 24 points per game this season. Even with the points taken off the board we still gave up 35 points to a team that averaged 24.

If Tomlin had not decided to run two of the worst plays ever for 3rd or 4th and a half a yard, we may very well have dropped 50+ on the Jags. I would say the offense did more than enough to win this game, unless you expect perfection out of the offense.

Last edited: