• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Round 2---Who do we want?

I have a gut feeling, and it is simply a hunch, but if Hageman is there then he may be the guy. If that happens, I think you are witnessing a fundamental shift in the Steelers approach to defense. It kind of signals a transformation of the defensive scheme, which was once based to stop the run first and then work on the pass. This would signal a shift where the scheme was built to stop the pass (in base) and play the run second.

BPA between the positions of CB, OL, DL, WR.
Because we are thin at a few different positions, we can let the board fall to us.
I think WR and DL are deeper than CB and OL, so I would prefer a CB or OL before the big drop off at those positions.
If Cyrus K is good to go health wise, Bitonio, Baptiste, Joyner.

I have a gut feeling, and it is simply a hunch, but if Hageman is there then he may be the guy. If that happens, I think you are witnessing a fundamental shift in the Steelers approach to defense. It kind of signals a transformation of the defensive scheme, which was once based to stop the run first and then work on the pass. This would signal a shift where the scheme was built to stop the pass (in base) and play the run second.
Which I get, but it seems to me that more often than not the team that is left standing when the confetti flies is the one that is physical. Usually with a brute force running game, top end defense and a medium passing game to compliment both. I hope they are right on this pick. If they are not.... Well I shouldn't even have to say it.

The Steelers proved in round 1, they will go BPA. Not sure who that will be as no one saw the Shazier pick coming. If it is Hagemen, Truitt or Nix, that along with Shazier will go a long way toward improving the D for years to come. It will help the secondary but that is still a huge area of need.

I have feeling it will be Hageman, a wr, or an OLB. Demarcus Lawrence/Crighton? The Steelers foten take a guy they met with. If you look at the wr's, dline, and olb's from their visits you can see who they may take.

Gotta go def in rd 2 think. Can a good wr...or solid corner. be had in rd 3?

Last edited:
Which I get, but it seems to me that more often than not the team that is left standing when the confetti flies is the one that is physical. Usually with a brute force running game, top end defense and a medium passing game to compliment both. I hope they are right on this pick. If they are not.... Well I shouldn't even have to say it.

Maybe, but Denver did not have a great run game or defense and they played in the Super Bowl. When Baltimore won it, they were not a top 10 run offense (11th) and middle of the road passing team. Their defense was ranked 17th. New York won it the season before that with the worst run offense in the NFL and a defense that ranked 27th. Then, it was the Packers beating the Steelers. The Pack had no running game (ranked 24th) with a top flight passing game and defense.

Trend is passing. Defense is nice, but more teams in the Super Bowl feature upper end passing games. Have to be ready to stop them.

They need to go CB or WR, tapping into some of that great depth that's allegedly there at those positions this year.

Saying that, however, it would be difficult to pass on Nix. I think he goes really early tonight, though.

Lets set stats aside for a second. The Broncos got completely mauled by a big physical team, The Ravens and New York regardless of stats had a big physical run game and a big physical pass rush.

We need more meat up from on the dline. I do wonder, however, if we would take Lee or Robinson over a dline guy. I think not. You have a few OLB's, Tuitt, Nix, Hagemen. All of those would be solid gets for us. Sadly, our rd 3 pick is at the end. I'm worried what kind of wr or cb will be there ate the end of rd 3? Gaines?, The Lindinwood kid?

Maybe, but Denver did not have a great run game or defense and they played in the Super Bowl. When Baltimore won it, they were not a top 10 run offense (11th) and middle of the road passing team. Their defense was ranked 17th. New York won it the season before that with the worst run offense in the NFL and a defense that ranked 27th. Then, it was the Packers beating the Steelers. The Pack had no running game (ranked 24th) with a top flight passing game and defense.

Trend is passing. Defense is nice, but more teams in the Super Bowl feature upper end passing games. Have to be ready to stop them.

That trend may be in the process of shifting, as the game's two premiere teams right now (Seahawks and 49ers) are heavy run/play action based teams. Before Griffin's injury, the Redskins had among the league's elite scoring offenses with a similar philosophy.

It depends on how many teams decide to start emulating that strategy. It may be prudent in a league where teams are continuously sacrificing size for speed at LB to combat all this passing.

I think the CB dropoff has already come. The only guys left I have second-round grades on are Marcus Roberson, Rashaad Reynolds, and Nevin Lawson, and I don't think any are worth #46.

The BPA, to me, looks like this:

Ra'Shede Hageman
Davante Adams
Cody Latimer
Antonio Richardson
Jace Amaro
Joel Bitonio
Morgan Moses

Idioteque. I agree..no cb in rd 2. It will be wr, dline, or olb. Personally, I go dline. Maybe wr was a smokescreen and we don't even grab one till rd 5.

I do agree,in today's pass first offence we needed to get faster,more athletic. I think your hunch is correct with Hageman,but they would have to trade up to get him as I believe Chicago would once again draft him ahead of us. We really could have used that extra third from last year,but then again we did get Thomas. Our last years draft will really have to step it up this year,perhaps they consider Wheaton as this years #2-3 round pick and we will draft WR in later rounds.TMC,which corners of value do you like going in to the 2-3 rd round? Thanks for all your time and input along with the others who know the college game& watch tape to formulate your opinions.

This does a bit remind me of the way the NHL went. Rough,tough brutal in the 70's everyone wanted the ( flyers,bruins)then came the oilers of the eighties,more finnese speed. Today's game is definatley a mixture of both lots of big strong fast athletes,with a touch of mean streak thrown in. Kind of like the Seahawks . Anyways ,after reading more about our first rounder I can see the reasoning.was so convinced it would be a corner but there is time to fill more of our needs.

This is exactly who I think they have their eye on. I'd say they would even try and move up but to what expense? They don't own a 3'rd they can trade with. Hageman would be perfect for what it appears they are trying to do.

That trend may be in the process of shifting, as the game's two premiere teams right now (Seahawks and 49ers) are heavy run/play action based teams. Before Griffin's injury, the Redskins had among the league's elite scoring offenses with a similar philosophy.

It depends on how many teams decide to start emulating that strategy. It may be prudent in a league where teams are continuously sacrificing size for speed at LB to combat all this passing.

Yeah, but we still have to compete with the Patriots and Broncos in our division before we worry about the NFC. The Ravens have went more pass happy, as have the Bengals. All three feature TEs that can run. Have to cover those guys. Our current linebackers cannot.

we won't move up. lots of good def players around in rd 2. Hell, lots of wr's too. I am confident we will get a solid pick, plus Carr and Garrapalo/Savage may go and push guys down for us.

I'd be happy with Hageman, Nix, Tuitt, or Robinson. I don't know if there's value at CB in round 2, but I do know we badly need DE's and WR's

Would love to get Nix, Hageman or Latimer with our next pick. That would make me excited.

Would accept any 2nd tier CB (Jean Baptiste or Gaines).

Very worried we pick Moncrief.

Would be a bit disappointed in maybe another RT/LT project (Moses/Richardson) like the 2nd round Adams/Gilbert picks.

Outside the box is maybe one of the TE's - ASJ or Amaro or Niklas

Still a lot of ways it could fall tonight. I would actually say tonight's work is more important to the team than last night's.

Do they go Nix,Tuitt, Hageman or WR CB. Or go WR CB and then snatch someone like Hart Urban Ellis later. There is still alot of talent to be had.

A good DE like Urban, Clarke, Hart c an be had in rd 4-5, so we don't necessarily need to grab one here. Do we value NT highly still? Good wr's can be had in this round.

My guess is that we go WR (2),CB (3), DE(4)

I do agree,in today's pass first offence we needed to get faster,more athletic. I think your hunch is correct with Hageman,but they would have to trade up to get him as I believe Chicago would once again draft him ahead of us. We really could have used that extra third from last year,but then again we did get Thomas. Our last years draft will really have to step it up this year,perhaps they consider Wheaton as this years #2-3 round pick and we will draft WR in later rounds.TMC,which corners of value do you like going in to the 2-3 rd round? Thanks for all your time and input along with the others who know the college game& watch tape to formulate your opinions.

This does a bit remind me of the way the NHL went. Rough,tough brutal in the 70's everyone wanted the ( flyers,bruins)then came the oilers of the eighties,more finnese speed. Today's game is definatley a mixture of both lots of big strong fast athletes,with a touch of mean streak thrown in. Kind of like the Seahawks . Anyways ,after reading more about our first rounder I can see the reasoning.was so convinced it would be a corner but there is time to fill more of our needs.

I see Hageman as about the 10th-12th best value on the board right now. The Steelers pick 14th. Could easily still be there when they pick. Certainly some teams wonder if he has the work ethic and drive to be great.

As for corners in the 2nd, Phillip Gaines tops my list right now. He may be the only CB I want that is left (in the 2nd). I think he has the size and speed desired to play the position. He is a bump and run guy first. I've heard talk about McGill and Jean-Baptiste, but neither really play physically enough for me. I think Jaylen Watkins and Ross Cockrell could be 3rd round consideration. I would consider Aaron Colvin later, really interested in Colvin in the 6th or later, knowing he is likely shelved for this season.

There are some small school guys, some bigger corners, but too many run game observers at corner for my liking. If you get out of the 2nd/3rd, I think you are looking at developing a guy, so pick your flaw that you think you can overcome....

I think the CB dropoff has already come. The only guys left I have second-round grades on are Marcus Roberson, Rashaad Reynolds, and Nevin Lawson, and I don't think any are worth #46.

The BPA, to me, looks like this:

Ra'Shede Hageman
Davante Adams
Cody Latimer
Antonio Richardson
Jace Amaro
Joel Bitonio
Morgan Moses

No Tuitt? Oversight or don't want him?

Tuitt would be solid, but we can get DE's later. I would prob still be happy with him, but I have a feeling we go wr here.