• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Round 2---Who do we want?

I suspect this team does not value NT very highly as well. They seem very satisfied with McLendon.

Nix doesn't fit with the way the Steelers are trying to play defense. Nix is at best a 2 down lineman. Against NE or Den he is a spectator. Nix is not Hampton.. not even close to it. He is worse than useless on passing downs. NE or Den will either run him into a heart attack or he'll be on the sideline doing nothing.

I agree with Ark, unless we trade down we would be reaching for a corner. I like:
Tuitt
Hageman
Nix
If those 3 are gone then I'd go WR:
Mathews
Robinson
Lattimer
Moncrief
Lattimer and moncrief might both be reaches but would be value if we trade back as would a few corners:
Phillip Gaines
Jean-baptste
Macgill.

No Tuitt? Oversight or don't want him?

I don't know what to make of the guy. Like Nix, he was just a completely different player from one year to the next. In 2012, both were dominant players. Nix looked like Vince Wilfork, and Tuitt was a beast with speed. Both held their ground while still penetrating. Both looked like franchise d-linemen, guys you take in the 1st regardless of your scheme and plug in wherever you want. Especially Tuitt. He was a DT who could kick outside in any scheme. Even as a 4-3 edge rusher, he was able to penetrate. He looked exactly like the Red Bryant types the Seahawks bulk up and rush from the outside in their 4-3. In fact, I fully expected the Seahawks to take him at #32.

In 2013, neither looked special most of the time. Tuitt in particular amazed me. He really did look like JAG much of the time. His power was sapped, and he didn't have the same burst to get by his guy. Now, both dealt with injuries in 2013. So maybe their massive drops in explosion and strength had to do with that. Still, in my eyes, Tuitt played in all 13 games last year. To paraphrase Dylan, if we was sick he shoulda said.

So, yes. Tuitt should have been on that list. But I think I like all of those guys better.

Tuitt and Nix were both urt in 2013. That's why their prod dropped.

I like Tuitt and Gaines alot.

in this order :
jordan matthews cody latimer allen robinson

I am not a fan of Tuitt or Nix. I think I would go elsewhere with the pick. Neither really jumped off the film to me. Kind of just there. Two guys I hope someone ahead of us takes.

To be honest, kind of tired of watching the Steelers draft productive college players that have questionable measureables and average film. I would rather see them swing and miss on elite athletes. I like safe, but I like safe that can run, jump, and play the game. If I have a choice between real safe with very limited upside or risky with great potential, we need a little risky on this team. Really need to get lucky and hit some of them too.

If you guys like Hageman i will trust you guys. I question his motor. Maybe Mitchell can get this guy to bring it every play. If he can we may have something cause he is a physical athletic marvel.

I also like Hart and Urban.

Tuitt was injured last year so if he is healthy could be a steal.

So TMC, Hageman is def your guy in rd 2? I think Chicago snags him. Who would be your next two guys to take after him?

If you guys like Hageman i will trust you guys. I question his motor. Maybe Mitchell can get this guy to bring it every play. If he can we may have something cause he is a physical athletic marvel.

I've watched the guy a ton and think the motor stuff is overstated. His big problems are staying low and countering blocking; he tends to just fight with power to get into a gap. But even when he plays high, he's a nightmare to block.

I've watched the guy a ton and think the motor stuff is overstated. His big problems are staying low and countering blocking; he tends to just fight with power to get into a gap. But even when he plays high, he's a nightmare to block.

So why is he sliding there is no medical concerns. Talent wise he is a top 20 guy maybe higher. Cant lie he is a perfect fit size wise for what we need. But if he isnt going to force teams to double him we are wasting our time.

Think we go DL this round. We had three need positions on defense coming into this draft. DL (DE and/or NT), ILB and DB. The FO felt getting a partner for Timmons was most important based on who they drafted, now they have to protect those two with a NT to cover up the middle. DB gets pushed down another round.

I think they are gonna keep McClendon at NT....soooo, do we go WR or DE here? Clarke, Urban, and Hart are good DE's that can be had later...maybe rd 4. Do we look at a Tuitt, Hageman (If Chi doesn't take him)?

I think they are gonna keep McClendon at NT....soooo, do we go WR or DE here? Clarke, Urban, and Hart are good DE's that can be had later...maybe rd 4. Do we look at a Tuitt, Hageman (If Chi doesn't take him)?

Think since the top corners are off the board they will go WR or DE?

I hope for Latimer.

If we go wr, and Lee is gone, I think we will take Robinson. Thing is...there are sooo many good defensive line prospects left, and we really need help there.

Looking at the guys who the steelers visited

Tuitt
Hageman
Crichton
Gaines
Daquan Jones
Robinson
Moncrief
Jeffcoat
Demarcus Lawrence

Steelers met with 7 or the 8 DBs drafted in round 1. Only one they didn't meet was Clinton-Dix. Seems like they wasted a bunch of time scouting all these top DBs when apparently they had no intention of going DB that high.

Only 2 DBs were off the board when the steelers picked, Gilbert and Fuller. That was about the best case scenario the steelers could have hoped for, that just 2 would be selected. And they still went elsewhere. Did they really have all their eggs in the Kyle FUller basket?

Look at the rest of the CBs they visited.
Gaines - probable 2nd rounder
Cockrell - 4th
Richardson 5th, 6th

Steelers are in the familiar position of hoping to grab a gem later at CB. How has that been working for them lately?

Meanwhile, they have invested a ton in LB with mixed results. The Steelers now have 3 First rounders and a 2nd rounder at LB and they are paying big money to Timmons and to Worilds as a possible 1 year rental.

Ten second-round targets for Steelers
May, 9, 2014
MAY 9
12:00
PM ET
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND20TWEET0COMMENTS10EMAILPRINT
PITTSBURGH -- There are still a lot of intriguing players available after the first round of the NFL draft -- and more than a few that analysts had projected as first-round picks.

The second round of the draft sets up nicely for the Steelers for several reasons.

First and foremost, only 13 teams pick ahead of them. With the Texans likely to take a quarterback with the first pick in the second round and a run expected on offensive linemen at least one of the following 10 players who are really good prospects and would fill a need should be on the board when the Steelers make their second pick.

WR Marqise Lee, Southern Cal: Had once been considered one of the best wide receivers in the draft and may have been a top 10-15 pick had he entered the draft last year. The Steelers don’t have much chance of landing Lee as his free fall figures to end early in the second round.

CB Stanley-Jean Baptiste, Nebraska: Tall, rangy cornerback had been projected as a possible late first-round pick, and he would address the Steelers’ most glaring need. Steelers may get a crack at him depending on how many quarterbacks and offensive linemen are picked ahead of them in second round.

DE Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame: Another projected first-round pick who has to wait an extra night to hear his name called. The Steelers could address defensive end by selecting Tuitt, whose pass-rushing skills could make him an eventual three-down player in Pittsburgh’s defense.

NT Louis Nix, Notre Dame: Prototypical nose tackle who would be able to contribute immediately as a run stopper. The Steelers may be happy with Steve McLendon at nose tackle but Nix more fits the mold of Casey Hampton, and he would tempt them if he is still available.

WR Cody Latimer, Indiana: One of the fastest risers in the draft did not crack the first round, but he would be a great pick for the Steelers if he falls to them. Latimer has good size, speed and toughness, and he was incredibly productive despite facing constant double teams at Indiana.

DE Ra’Shede Hageman, Minnesota: Another player who had been widely projected as a first-round pick. Has tremendous size and physical ability but inconsistent play in college pushed him into the second round. Like Tuitt, projects as a defensive end who can provide an inside pass rush when the Steelers go to a nickel defense.

OLB Demarcus Lawrence, Boise State: The Steelers still need to bolster their pass rush and add depth at outside linebacker. Joyner would have to make the transition from defensive end to outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme but he has the athleticism to do it, and he showed in college that he can get after the quarterback.

WR Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt: Matthews would give the Steelers a taller wide receiver and could still be available in the middle of the second round. There are questions about how well he will be able to separate at the next level but it’s hard to overlook that he is the SEC’s all-time leading receiver.

OLB Kyle Van Noy, BYU: ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. had Van Noy going in the first round of his final mock draft. Productive and versatile at BYU, Van Noy could provide quality depth at outside linebacker and also contribute on special teams early in his career.

WR Allen Robinson, Penn State: Re-wrote the Nittany Lions’ record books despite playing just two seasons. He has good size, exceptional hands and catches the ball well in traffic. The biggest question with Robinson is whether he is fast enough to thrive at the next level.

Tuitt
Hageman
Crichton
Gaines
Daquan Jones
Robinson
Moncrief
Jeffcoat
Demarcus Lawrence

Steelers met with 7 or the 8 DBs drafted in round 1. Only one they didn't meet was Clinton-Dix. Seems like they wasted a bunch of time scouting all these top DBs when apparently they had no intention of going DB that high.

Only 2 DBs were off the board when the steelers picked, Gilbert and Fuller. That was about the best case scenario the steelers could have hoped for, that just 2 would be selected. And they still went elsewhere. Did they really have all their eggs in the Kyle FUller basket?

Look at the rest of the CBs they visited.
Gaines - probable 2nd rounder
Cockrell - 4th
Richardson 5th, 6th

Steelers are in the familiar position of hoping to grab a gem later at CB. How has that been working for them lately?

Meanwhile, they have invested a ton in LB with mixed results. The Steelers now have 3 First rounders and a 2nd rounder at LB and they are paying big money to Timmons and to Worilds as a possible 1 year rental.
Maybe after visiting with these guys they were able to assign a value to them and they were not at the level of the 15th pick. So instead of wasting a visit they may have decided not to wast a draft pick when there was better value to be had. Also with all these guys getting picked maybe there will be some decent free agents available after the final cut down. The steelers will have money after the June 1st release of Woodly goes into effect and might spend a bit on a free agent. It appears that the linebacker we picked could cover fairly well.

God, please no Demarcus Lawrence. I would hate that pick almost as much as Moncrief.

Tuitt
Hageman
Crichton
Gaines
Daquan Jones
Robinson
Moncrief
Jeffcoat
Demarcus Lawrence

Tape, you should work on getting some of that sand removed from your vagina. I'm sorry you don't like the pick, but now the Steelers aren't allowed to do their due diligence on players? They aren't allowed to prepare themselves for the unpredictability of the draft (and a potential trade down?) by meeting many of the players who were likely to get picked in the 10-25 range?

Now that I read the Scott Brown piece again, I may be on board with Hagemen. Tuitt, Nix, and Robinson would be my next guys.

I think, however, Nix goes to Tenn, Hageman to Chicago. If that happened whom would take between Tuitt and Robinson?

Anyone have thoughts on Baptiste? What about Jace Amaro?

Last edited:
I think we go Jace Amaro or Austin Jenkins TE both are 6'5 + and Jace caught 100 plus balls that would also fill the big target need for Ben in the red zone sort of fills the Wr need also surprised nobody mention this yet.

Hey Tape maybe they brought all those CBs in for a smoke screen to get who they really wanted in the first and hope that one they like drops to the second round

Last edited:
whoever it is, they better make it count...

it's a long way to pick 3, and lots of all that "mid-round talent" is coming off the board.