• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ryan Clark – “Mason Rudolph Is Not A Good QB”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
As always former Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl Champion Ryan Clark had some interesting things to say about his former team.

On his ESPN morning show Get Up Clark had this to say about GM Kevin Colbert’s comments from yesterday.

Clark had this to say about Mason Rudolph last week.

Great NFL analyst @Realrclark25 on @937theFan on Steelers quarterback situation: "I would not want Mason Rudolph as my starting quarterback. I watch the tape, it's not good."

100% agree

— Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) February 16, 2022

“The problem with the Pittsburgh Steelers is, over the last five years, they’ve been able to compete without having truly elite quarterback play,” Clark told the PM team on 93.7 the Fan last week. “Just compete, though. There were never any of those teams that we really thought were championship caliber. Including this year even though they got to the playoffs.”

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

He's right ya know!
So you agree that they haven't had elite QB play in the last 5 years? Really the last 5 years. Have they had elite coaching in the last 5 years Ryan?
Ben threw for 5100 yards and 34 TD/ 16 int 4 years ago. That is 1000 more yards and 1 less td and 12 more ints than Rogers MVP season this year. Very interesting analysis.

Last edited:
So you agree that they haven't had elite QB play in the last 5 years? Really the last 5 years. Have they had elite coaching in the last 5 years Ryan?
Ben threw for 5100 yards and 34 TD/ 16 int 4 years ago. That is 1000 more yards and 1 less td and 12 more ints than Rogers MVP season this year. Very interesting analysis.
I think he was referring to the "...I watched the tape, it's not good" comment.

I've surrendered - let Rudy take the helm and get us 4 wins. Draft our franchise QB next year.

#drinkmorebeer

Maybe so Berm but if a guy makes that commentary about the QB play how valid is his overall analysis. 🤔
Think about it this way. No one was really worse than the Ben led offense in the first half. Not putting it all on Ben. But no one was significantly better in the second half. If Rudolph is just steady, do you honestly believe they will win 4 games?

I'm 90% certain Coach Tomlin will find a way to win 9 games next season. I'm just putting my pipe dream out there (only win 4) so we can have a chance at one of the top two QB's)...

Make sense?
Well we certainly will not agree on the Tomlin part of it. But yeah I'd say 9 is right. I'd say clear the deck on the salary cap this year and draft smart. If the QB play is mediocre or worse do what you have to do to move up in 2013 and get one of those guys.

I just read an article that has Jimmy G as a Steeler by the end of the week for a fourth this year and a fourth next year that could become a second. Do the Steelers even have a 4th?

I just read an article that has Jimmy G as a Steeler by the end of the week for a fourth this year and a fourth next year that could become a second. Do the Steelers even have a 4th?
Yes we have a 4th. That's good draft value. His contract is pretty high though $25.55M, and we'd only get him for a year.

Yes we have a 4th. That's good draft value. His contract is pretty high though $25.55M, and we'd only get him for a year.
if that happens I guess there would be a new contract prevoiously negotiated with him. Still find him expensive due to injury history

Everyone seems to understand that but the Steeler front office… same front office that gave us Kent graham… but as to jimmy G he’s better than a kick in the arse I guess… but thats an expensive contract to eat… but that said, the line should be better with a year more experience… but say they draft linderbaum at center move green to guard and do nothing else but trade for jimmy g that’s a play off team ya?? Juju>claypool>DJ Moore>Green>linderbaum>Dotson>Chuks>Muth Jimmy G>Harris I’d say that’s a playoff team spend your free agent money and draft picks on the defense. Go Steelers!

Last edited:

He kisses Tomlin butt and won't call out what most of us have seen for 10 +years

Everyone seems to understand that but the Steeler front office… same front office that gave us Kent graham…
I don't think Jimmy G is Kent Graham by any means. I think a guy here and there the 49ers aren't significantly better than the Steelers. They were a play or two from a SB appearance.

Clark is spot on. Rudolph is a below average starter and a solid backup. Nothing more.

He's also right the Steelers have pretty much only competed with elite QB play, though, I'd argue the Steelers had championship caliber team in 2017.

Clark is spot on. Rudolph is a below average starter and a solid backup. Nothing more.

He's also right the Steelers have pretty much only competed with elite QB play, though, I'd argue the Steelers had championship caliber team in 2017.
Last part wasn't the quote. He said they have not has elite QB play the last 5 years.

He is average at worst. I don't understand how anyone can say a guy with a winning record in his first 11 starts is below average. Consider the handicap he faced with offensive coordinators and I will put him as above average.