• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ryan Clark – “Mason Rudolph Is Not A Good QB”

I gotta be honest. RC is way out of line here. I'm not thinking that MR is the future, but don't throw him in the trash yet. It's lame on RC's part.
Is he? He might be harsh in his approach. Little off in some of his takes. But Rudy has struggled mightily in the opportunities he was given. The pendulum has shown more negatives than positives. I would say by a large margin. He can't thread the needle throw into tight windows, he isn't mobile. He isn't overly accurate. For me just not the answer. Not even a little bit.

Is he? He might be harsh in his approach. Little off in some of his takes. But Rudy has struggled mightily in the opportunities he was given. The pendulum has shown more negatives than positives. I would say by a large margin. He can't thread the needle throw into tight windows, he isn't mobile. He isn't overly accurate. For me just not the answer. Not even a little bit.
Cool. I don't disagree. I just think it's middle school nonsense to give a guy no chance when he is the chance. MR just wants his chance. I'll give it to him.

Cool. I don't disagree. I just think it's middle school nonsense to give a guy no chance when he is the chance. MR just wants his chance. I'll give it to him.
He will get his chance in camp. But depending on who is signed those odds can deminish quickly. I think he has had chances to shine and those opportunities are running out.

He is average at worst. I don't understand how anyone can say a guy with a winning record in his first 11 starts is below average. Consider the handicap he faced with offensive coordinators and I will put him as above average.
I don't see him in that average range. If the Steeler cut him today, how many teams would he start for?

gotta disagree on saying he has struggled mightily. I don't think he has no more than Ben has in the first half of games before doing his own thing. He is hamstrung by a ****** scheme the same as Ben has been. Yet he still has a winning record.

gotta disagree on saying he has struggled mightily. I don't think he has no more than Ben has in the first half of games before doing his own thing. He is hamstrung by a ****** scheme the same as Ben has been. Yet he still has a winning record.
Do you disagree with any of the deficiencies I stated? He won't improve on those windows if he forces the issue INTs will pile up. He won't be more mobile. Maybe he can squeeze out a higher accuracy percentage. But when he hits the red zone his limitations will strap the O just as much if not more than the scheme.

This is a team used to winning not sure how much credit we can give the guy for having more wins than losses.

I guess there can be a small perception line between average and below average.

But what confidence do you have the man could lead the team to the playoffs let alone win a playoff game?

What attribute does he have that shows that ability?

I think he was referring to the "...I watched the tape, it's not good" comment.

I've surrendered - let Rudy take the helm and get us 4 wins. Draft our franchise QB next year.

#drinkmorebeer
Berm for GM!!

Ima call Darth Hoodie and leak this to him.

We need a low $$ QB contract for a few years to clean up the cap space issues, pay Minkah, DJ, etc

I'd like to see Bridgewater or similar in camp with Rudy and Haskins, and an open competition. If there was no clear winner, then a "you get to start, and keep starting as long as the Steelers win" rotation thru all 3. Figure out if they actually can do the job, or take the L's and tool up next draft.

Do you disagree with any of the deficiencies I stated? He won't improve on those windows if he forces the issue INTs will pile up. He won't be more mobile. Maybe he can squeeze out a higher accuracy percentage. But when he hits the red zone his limitations will strap the O just as much if not more than the scheme.

This is a team used to winning not sure how much credit we can give the guy for having more wins than losses.

I guess there can be a small perception line between average and below average.

But what confidence do you have the man could lead the team to the playoffs let alone win a playoff game?

What attribute does he have that shows that ability?
Wow you can judge all that from a guy who hasn't even started 14 games has had a terrible OC had young inexperienced receivers and yet still pulled out a winning record. He throws a nice deep ball, shows touch in the middle of the field, absolutely showed improvement in his pocket presence and had one of if not the longest runs of the year. The play calling was terrible when he was near the endzone and he was pushing too hard. Hell Bradshaw absolutely **** the field for almost two years of starts. People have way too little patience today. Yeah yeah 4 years but not 4 years of real experience and in an offense designed for his skills.

He's 5-4-1. This is like celebrating "neve had a losing season" when the Steelers are on their longest playoff win drought in 50 years.

Wow you can judge all that from a guy who hasn't even started 14 games has had a terrible OC had young inexperienced receivers and yet still pulled out a winning record. He throws a nice deep ball, shows touch in the middle of the field, absolutely showed improvement in his pocket presence and had one of if not the longest runs of the year. The play calling was terrible when he was near the endzone and he was pushing too hard. Hell Bradshaw absolutely **** the field for almost two years of starts. People have way too little patience today. Yeah yeah 4 years but not 4 years of real experience and in an offense designed for his skills.
What I saw. What you saw was under the same amount of games. I have patience. I just see deficiencies that aren't prone to improving. So how did his start turn out this last season? His latest showing a grand total of 16 points including an entire overtime against the lowly *** Lions. Yeah that "improvement" was on display. How long should fans wait for this ability to shine? The clock is ticking for him. He is close to turning into a pumpkin.

I'm 90% certain Coach Tomlin will find a way to win 9 games next season. I'm just putting my pipe dream out there (only win 4) so we can have a chance at one of the top two QB's)...

Make sense?

berm, when I'm in my spirit world,............................ everything you say can make sense...............................!!!!

Salute the nation
Well we certainly will not agree on the Tomlin part of it. But yeah I'd say 9 is right. I'd say clear the deck on the salary cap this year and draft smart. If the QB play is mediocre or worse do what you have to do to move up in 2013 and get one of those guys.

Gaurantee you,................... if we re-draft 2013 this year I think even Tomlin wouldn't **** that up.

Salute the nation

Last edited:
What I saw. What you saw was under the same amount of games. I have patience. I just see deficiencies that aren't prone to improving. So how did his start turn out this last season? His latest showing a grand total of 16 points including an entire overtime against the lowly *** Lions. Yeah that "improvement" was on display. How long should fans wait for this ability to shine? The clock is ticking for him. He is close to turning into a pumpkin.
This is where I'm at. Rudolph is pretty close to peaked already. The biggest sign is his teammates don't believe he's the starting QB. If a reporter is asking Johnson, Harris, Heyward, or Watt about next year's QB, they easily could've said "we're ready to be lead by Mason." Every one of them mentioned the front office bringing someone in. It's gonna be tough to lead your team when your own guys don't believe in you.

I gotta be honest. RC is way out of line here. I'm not thinking that MR is the future, but don't throw him in the trash yet. It's lame on RC's part.

Absolutely, if he actually said this as well (I didn't read the full article):

"If Mason Rudolph is the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers entering 2022, they are no longer the Pittsburgh Steelers I love or the fans of Pittsburgh love."

- Ryan Clark

I don't see him in that average range.

Did Terry Bradshaw show signs of being in the average range his first several seasons?

Seriously, this isn't so much about Mason Rudolph as it is about virtually everybody jumping to the conclusion that the guy just sucks and has no reason to show the team, city & fans he might have something to contribute. I've never seen one guy get **** on the way this guy has when there are softer than baby **** players (higher draft picks) currently on the team. At least the kid showed some fire when he was out there. Pick up a reasonably priced FA QB, fix the OL as best they can, then let it play out next season.

Absolutely, if he actually said this as well (I didn't read the full article):

"If Mason Rudolph is the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers entering 2022, they are no longer the Pittsburgh Steelers I love or the fans of Pittsburgh love."

- Ryan Clark
That was only a small clip of over a minute of him talking about Rudolph. He was getting to the idea that if the Steelers go into next season with Rudolph, they are no longer the team that goes into the offseason with the belief they can compete for a championship the next season.

Did Terry Bradshaw show signs of being in the average range his first several seasons?

Seriously, this isn't so much about Mason Rudolph as it is about virtually everybody jumping to the conclusion that the guy just sucks and has no reason to show the team, city & fans he might have something to contribute. I've never seen one guy get **** on the way this guy has when there are softer than baby **** players (higher draft picks) currently on the team. At least the kid showed some fire when he was out there. Pick up a reasonably priced FA QB, fix the OL as best they can, then let it play out next season.
Come on, Terry Bradshaw was the No. 1 overall draft pick and he played 50 years ago. It has never been easier for an NFL QB to succeed. Rudolph has no special traits. His pocket presence is lacking, he doesn't throw his receivers open, he doesn't have exceptional accuracy. He's just a guy at quarterback and he isn't going to lead the Steelers to anything significant. It's not jumping to conclusions, we've watched him for a few years now and you can see he isn't the answer. And again, it's not just the fans saying this, but his high-level teammates not believing in him either. When Heyward, Watt, Johnson, Harris, etc. all start showing full confidence in Rudolph as the starter, I'll buy in, but each guy has talked about bringing in a QB from the outside. His teammates said that, not the fans.

A game he wasn't practicing for as the starter and didn't know he was starting until late the night before, after it was too late to change the game plan. A game he still almost won twice had players not fumbled it away. The "lowly" lions went on to win some games and not look horrible. Again he was still hamstrung by terrible play calling yet again had them in position to win a game. Not much worse than Ben had been doing. I see improvement in those very deficiencies you allude to. Again you would have had us cutting Bradshaw after the same number of starts. Peyton Manning as well if you look. I am not saying he is remotely close to being those players but he has better numbers at this point in starts than they did. I see more positives in what he has done so far than negatives. The reactions to him seem entirely emotional and devoid of actua reasoning. He is truly cursed by following Ben. I don't think anything he does will ever be enough.

That was only a small clip of over a minute of him talking about Rudolph. He was getting to the idea that if the Steelers go into next season with Rudolph, they are no longer the team that goes into the offseason with the belief they can compete for a championship the next season.
BS they absolutely could win one with Rudolph if they built the right team around him. If Dilfer can win one Mason can, or Flacco for that matter. He doesn't have to be great just good enough. A Ben will not just fall in our laps we have to build the best team we can and win without Ben or anything close, then when we do find "the guy" he can step in and do wonders with a great team. If we chase QB's and not focus on building the rest of the team we become the Browns.

A game he wasn't practicing for as the starter and didn't know he was starting until late the night before, after it was too late to change the game plan. A game he still almost won twice had players not fumbled it away. The "lowly" lions went on to win some games and not look horrible. Again he was still hamstrung by terrible play calling yet again had them in position to win a game. Not much worse than Ben had been doing. I see improvement in those very deficiencies you allude to. Again you would have had us cutting Bradshaw after the same number of starts. Peyton Manning as well if you look. I am not saying he is remotely close to being those players but he has better numbers at this point in starts than they did. I see more positives in what he has done so far than negatives. The reactions to him seem entirely emotional and devoid of actua reasoning. He is truly cursed by following Ben. I don't think anything he does will ever be enough.
This guy's job is to always be ready being the top backup. Plenty of backup QBs come off the bench and shine. Because opposing teams have so little game footage to go off of. He doesn't get a pass because he is a backup. You mentioned Ben, how well did he do in his rookie season? Seems you have a decent amount of excuses for him. None of them are curing his deficiencies.

This isn't horse shoes almost doesn't count. Almost isn't good enough.

Bradshaw and Ben were highly thought of and drafted accordingly. Rudy wasn't. So his leash will naturally be shorter. If he showed well enough the GM would say that's our guy instead of ..if the season started today mambojahambo.

He will get his last chance coming up shortly. I guess we shall see.

I really don’t get all the hate for Rudolph? Maybe because we drafted him so high considering our other needs at the time? Regardless if you look at it objectively his time with the Steelers has been a rocky one that has a lot to do with factors beyond his control. I’m definitely not suggesting he will have some HOF career or even be a quality starter in the NFL but coming out and what short stints we have seen him he has shown that he does have an arm and can make NFL throws. I think the biggest thing is his decision making and ability to read defenses and make the right throws with accuracy. He’s definitely no Kordell Stewart but on occasion has shown a little mobility and to move outside the pocket. With Ben not playing I do think it does open it up for him a little more as far as pressure and given even a half decent line would like to see what he can do. I’m also not exactly thrilled with having a rookie QB and especially come in this year and start day one. I also am not in favor of giving up the farm for an aging QB or a mediocre QB at best. I would prefer to invest in a line on both sides of the ball and figure out what we we are going to do with our ILB issue and secure our secondary with another quality CB. Then address the QB situation next year.

Rudolph is crap.

He is just causing hate and discontent for ratings, that’s what media hacks do.

You keep mentioning Rudolph's record as if it has some sort of relevance. Duck Hodges was 3-3 (almost as good as 5-4-1) as the starting quarterback in Pittsburgh. He parlayed that into being waived by the Rams before the start of this season, and then a stint in the CFL with the Ottawa Redblacks, where he went 16-38 for 139 yards with no touchdowns and a pick.

Kent Graham had a winning record in his previous four years in the league with the Cardinals and Giants (15-14) before joining the Steelers (including 10-6 in the prior two seasons with New York). Who gives a ****? Didn't mean that he was any good.

If the Steelers had as much confidence in the guy as you do, they certainly wouldn't be out there searching for another option as rigorously as they have been.