• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sams Being drafted

Did Sams coming out ,, help him get drafted,, or did it hurt his draft status?

• Helped him get drafted

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • Hurt his draft status

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Had no effect

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't care so much as im "curious"

Did sams coming out openly,,, HELP him get drafted....? Or did it hurt his draft status?

Neither. He's a poor NFL prospect with one good season of film and atrocious measurables. He has no role in the NFL. Hence, he was a late 7th.

I seriously doubt it. He was projected go between 5-7 and some pundits claimed he may go undrafted.

Sam lived out his dream and got Ram'd.

I think it gave him a bit of an edge just to get his name out there. Let's face it, if he were straight nobody would have ever heard of him. It gave him some name recognition.

I doubt that Sam's coming out had anything to do with him being drafted. If anything it helped a tad. He was a late round projection, but his combine numbers were atrocious so he was lucky to get drafted at all.

I thought for sure he would be a Packer.

Neither. He's a poor NFL prospect with one good season of film and atrocious measurables. He has no role in the NFL. Hence, he was a late 7th.

If he had 2 good seasons, atrocious measurables and a spinal injury, he would have been drafted by the steelers

I think it gave him a bit of an edge just to get his name out there. Let's face it, if he were straight nobody would have ever heard of him. It gave him some name recognition.

Pretty sure people would have known about the SEC Defensive Player of the Year.

Conspiracy Theory - Most of the 7th round, NFL Network was trying to justify Sam being drafted so late. As the draft was winding down, Eisen seemed almost frantic about trying to get the NFL off the hook from the non football media that was about to trash the NFL if he went undrafted. No doubt the NFL brass were similarly freaking out.

WIth the hometown Rams pick approaching, does the NFL make a call and promise the Rams that if they draft Sam, next year the super secret compensatory pick formula will somehow spit out an extra pick for the Rams?

Conspiracy Theory - Most of the 7th round, NFL Network was trying to justify Sam being drafted so late. As the draft was winding down, Eisen seemed almost frantic about trying to get the NFL off the hook from the non football media that was about to trash the NFL if he went undrafted. No doubt the NFL brass were similarly freaking out.

WIth the hometown Rams pick approaching, does the NFL make a call and promise the Rams that if they draft Sam, next year the super secret compensatory pick formula will somehow spit out an extra pick for the Rams?

The real question is does Richie Incognito show up in St. Louie to "fix" Sams?

tapeANaspirin2it said:
With the hometown Rams pick approaching, does the NFL make a call and promise the Rams that if they draft Sam, next year the super secret compensatory pick formula will somehow spit out an extra pick for the Rams?
I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

His late draft position proved how prejudiced, biased, corrupt and unfair NFL general managers are, since it is well know that Sam ...

• Is extremely good at filling the hole;
  • Covering the end; and
  • Collapsing the pocket.

He was a marginal athlete/prospect and that's the bottom line.

If Clowney had come out of the closet, then we could really have this discussion. But at the very best, Sam was always a practice squad body.

Look, the guy came out when draft projections started showing him to be a late to non drafted player. You have to think there was a motive behind it. The guy successfully made himself a Tolkien gesture... Drafted in an irrelevant spot in a loaded draft to much undeserved fanfare. This is now the second instance where a player on the verge of irrelevance has come out in pro sports hoping to help his cause.

Newsflash people, there have always been a handful of homosexuals on sports teams... its not like when there were discriminatory rules keeping minorities out.

Non story.. he got drafted where he would have been drafted anyhow, if he even got drafted.... If a 100lb woman who ran a 5.00 40 declared for the draft and went undrafted, that isn't discrimination...

Was he the SEC DPOY?

or was he a marginal athlete/prospect...

I should never have put the option in the poll for had no effect.. because it HAD to have one effect or the other.. It hurt his status and he slipped way down to the 7th round... OR He got drafted 8 picks or whatever in front of mr irrelevant,, because the Rams and the NFL wanted some kind of social karma from the media, since he came out of the closet..

I refuse to believe he got drafted exactly where he did because that's where he really should have been drafted.

College awards mean squat in the NFL. We see it time and again. This draft looks to be one of the most stacked drafts in modern history I have draft guides with 2nd round grade on guys that weren't drafted or fell to the 7th round... in typical draft years you can find conference DPOYs falling to the 4th or below with some frequency. It makes sense that this guy was going to be at best fringe this year... cause he just aint nothing special in the physical specimen category....

Sam and his agent played this card. He should get no credit at all. It wasn't heroic... it was a desperate attempt to distinguish himself from a crowed talented pool of players, that frankly didn't work like they expected, though he will likely get curtsey signings after the Rams do cut ties with him longer than most. If anyone did push him down the draft board, (and we have teams willing to overlook felonies, so I highly doubt they reject a player over something that already is likely present on their team anyhow.) they did so because he intentionally made himself a huge spectacle and instantly gave whatever team that drafted him a flurry of unwanted media coverage until he is cut

It was a selfish move. Its not like the guy came out in college while he was playing... he saw the draft projections and saw what he was up against and then decided to come out...The timing was just too suspicious... I give the guy zero credit... I could care less if he makes it or not. I refuse to give a guy who did an attention grabbing move even an iota of credit It would of been so much better if he was the dead last player drafted, because the minute he played the gay card, he was irrelevant in my book.

Its like the late Mr Nunn said about when actual discrimination of minorities in the Press Box was ended:
“Strangely enough, upon entering the press box Tuesday night, no brass band struck up, ‘Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here, Believe it or not, the seats didn't catch on fire when I sat down. Actually no fanfare was involved. That's the way it should have been.”

Was he the SEC DPOY?

or was he a marginal athlete/prospect...

I should never have put the option in the poll for had no effect.. because it HAD to have one effect or the other.. It hurt his status and he slipped way down to the 7th round... OR He got drafted 8 picks or whatever in front of mr irrelevant,, because the Rams and the NFL wanted some kind of social karma from the media, since he came out of the closet..

I refuse to believe he got drafted exactly where he did because that's where he really should have been drafted.

Why do you refuse to believe it? Jackson Jeffcoat of Texas won Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and his father was a former 1st round pick and he went undrafted. He is bigger than Sam, faster, and tested better at the combine.

Sam is too small to play DE in the 4-3 and be anything other than a situational pass rusher. His best chance at his size was to transition to 3-4 OLB but he tested horribly in agility drills and at the combine, he looked terrible in the LB drills which are meant to see how well you move in space.

The bottom line is he's not very athletic. If he works hard and learns pass rush moves, maybe he'll be be a decent pass rusher, but there were better prospects to be had.

Some years, he may have gone earlier but this was a really deep draft and that worked against him too.

That's why i answered Had No Effect because it's the correct answer.

I'm sick of this "heroic" BS. How is it heroic to come out when you know you'll have your *** kissed and parades in your honor. When people equate this guy to Jackie Robinson, it's sick and offensive!

I'm sick of this "heroic" BS. How is it heroic to come out when you know you'll have your *** kissed and parades in your honor. When people equate this guy to Jackie Robinson, it's sick and offensive!

It's heroic because he's opening himself up to idiots who say things like you just did. The other choice is to try to lie about himself for years because of idiots who say things like you just did.