• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sams Being drafted

Did Sams coming out ,, help him get drafted,, or did it hurt his draft status?

• Helped him get drafted

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • Hurt his draft status

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Had no effect

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
aside from spike having to put that picture up there... this is a good conversation thread.

aint-nobody-got-time-for-that.jpg

Last edited:
I would not even think that qualifies as heroic, I would like to think of it as the norm. Folks being evaluated purely on their merits and nothing else, no bonus points for being any type of minority. If you think folks should be treated as equal then treat them as equal period. Our country would improve tremendously if only the best folks were selected regardless of the minority representation. I would not care if an organization was made up entirely of old, Chinese lesbians, if they were the best folks for the job they should get the job.

I agree with you. But at this moment it is not the norm. Everyone is packed into groups with a convenient label. I hate it.

madinsomniac....I bet he proves you wrong!

He already proved me right... he wasn't good enough to get drafted above the 7th... there is not a single measureable that justified a high draft pick... a random DPOY award, which is about as far from a indicator of success as you can get. He got drafted where he belonged. Let me state this again.... NFL teams do very in depth investigations of players they think they may draft. There have been gay players who were known to be gay by everyone but the public drafted before... its not like the Pis they hire aren't going to turn that up. There isn't any discrimination here... its a total non issue. The guy was a low round pick that got picked in the low rounds... not some hero. He needlessly interjected his sexual preference into the draft discussions in hopes it would propel him higher... teams weren't going to do that.

The guy might be out of the league in a year or maybe he hangs on, develops into an ok player and is a footnote in history... he was never going to be a star.

I find it condescending that people are linking judging a player as an inferior prospect is somehow instantly homophobia. a tiny minority of people are saying that gay players shouldn't play in the NFL, and no teams at all. Everyone is mostly saying the guy was a middling prospect in a loaded draft... which he is... there are guy who had 2nd round grades on them that went undrafted... schools like Texas that haven't had no player drafted since 1934 that didn't get anyone drafted... there are undrafted guys unsigned that probably are low round picks in many other years... a **** ton of underclassmen came out into a strong draft.

The story is the NFL teams didn't go out of their way to take this guy, which, in this PR happy world, is usually a sign that there isn't a problem they are just trying to cover up... my guess is every team has 3 to 7 guys on it already that are at least Bi... and everyone outside of us knows that... and that is the way it should be....

All you homophobes need to do is look at this stat.

The last 9 of the previous 10 SEC Defensive Players of the Year were drafted in the 1st round. The other was drafted in round 2.

So don't give me this garbage about how he sux, has terrible ability, etc. etc.

He also was an All-American and the Missouri Tigers MVP.

Get over it. There has always been gay players in all the major sports...he is just the first one who had the balls to tell everybody before the draft.

His coming out absolutely hurt his draft position. He will make an NFL team, eventually, hell it took James Harrison several years to get a real job in the NFL.

As for his kiss, while I didn't think it was necessary, there certainly were lots of kisses of girlfriends and wives, you just don't remember them because that is "normal" to you.

The dude will penetrate anyones backfield.
Plus he's really fast and versitile....he can cover tight ends and he's willing to be a wide receiver.

The story is the NFL teams didn't go out of their way to take this guy, which, in this PR happy world, is usually a sign that there isn't a problem they are just trying to cover up... my guess is every team has 3 to 7 guys on it already that are at least Bi... and everyone outside of us knows that... and that is the way it should be....

You on the downlow, Doo! This ain't no pokah gaaame......

The dude will penetrate anyones backfield.
Plus he's really fast and versitile....he can cover tight ends and he's willing to be a wide receiver..

Awright dammit, somebody has to drag this out...

The last 9 of the previous 10 SEC Defensive Players of the Year were drafted in the 1st round. The other was drafted in round 2.

Get over it. There has always been gay players in all the major sports...he is just the first one who had the balls to tell everybody before the draft.

His coming out absolutely hurt his draft position. He will make an NFL team, eventually, hell it took James Harrison several years to get a real job in the NFL.

As for his kiss, while I didn't think it was necessary, there certainly were lots of kisses of girlfriends and wives, you just don't remember them because that is "normal" to you.

First and foremost, you don't know me personally or probably most of the people you are calling homophobic. I can assure you I am not. His "story" was just as trumped up and a non story as Johnny Manziel falling in the draft. That story was tiring as well. When is the last time any network covered a projected seventh round pick like Sam? I can tell you, never. I don't care that he is gay, had the Steelers drafted him I would have wanted him to succeed like every other player they draft. What's normal should be players being evaluated on their merits and their measurables. Once you stray from that it's no longer about football and of no interest to me when I'm watching football. It's a story for someone who needs a soapbox to climb on. I'll pass.

First and foremost, you don't know me personally or probably most of the people you are calling homophobic. I can assure you I am not. His "story" was just as trumped up and a non story as Johnny Manziel falling in the draft. That story was tiring as well. When is the last time any network covered a projected seventh round pick like Sam? I can tell you, never. I don't care that he is gay, had the Steelers drafted him I would have wanted him to succeed like every other player they draft. What's normal should be players being evaluated on their merits and their measurables. Once you stray from that it's no longer about football and of no interest to me when I'm watching football. It's a story for someone who needs a soapbox to climb on. I'll pass.

and that is what he claims he wants ... then comes out and says he's gay... so which of the two does he want? to have his measurables stacked up against other gay guys in the NFL or have his measurables weighted because he's gay? makes no sense other than to assure that one out of 32 NFL teams gives him a job.

I honestly don't see a team spending a pick on him regardless of round just to say they drafted him. The Rams see something that leads them to believe he can contribute on Sunday's. If he does that's good for him, and for them. What he does after leaving the stadium means zero to me. It's not like I sat and watched all of his games, so I look at the evaluations in print and online leading into the draft, as well as some of the talk going on in here. The consensus was that he has a lot of work to do to contribute, it won't take that long to find out if that's the case or not.

totally agree. 31 other teams didnt think he could either help them or make the position switch from DE to OLB.
Rams did. He's getting his chance, which is all anyone could ask for. Regardless of round.

On a similar topic, I was watching top ten draft moments. My personal favorite was "Who the hell is Mel Kiper", because I couldn't agree more. However, the number one moment was the fall of Aaron Rogers. they talked about how it was just like watching a train wreck having him sit alone in the waiting room (green room). Now there were only three QB's taken in the first round that year, And only one taken in front of him (Alex smith), however, it really makes you wonder if teams didn't know about the rumors that came out last year. There must have been three or four teams that needed a QB at that time and passed. No one gives a crap about this man's orientation. He is a blip on the radar. Taking a closeted gay QB in the first round to hopefully be the face of your franchise some day is a completely different story.

Go look up the all-time SEC leaders in sacks. I'll wait.

I made a list of SEC defensive player(s) of the year. The ones with good combine numbers for their position are marked with a "*". Other than David Pollack, who I think messed up his neck(?), you really need strong combine/pro day numbers. If I know this, then I assumed that NFL teams know this - and then we drafted Jarvis Jones. ****.

NOTE: The numbers before 2006 are not published by the NFL and could be bullshit. I got them out of an old guide I had.

2013 Michael Sam and CJ Mosley. Based on this metric, neither will be a good NFL player. I liked Mosley as an ILB though.
2012 Jarvis Jones - started 8 games, 1 sack, this pick gave me heart problems. I hope he turns out.
2011 Morris Claiborne - 2 ints, not an NFL starter, may make a decent 4/5 DB though
2010 *Patrick Peterson - 12 int, good player, probably be great
2009 Rolando McClain - out of NFL, more arrests than actual production
2008 *Eric Berry - 5.5 sacks, 8 ints, good player
2007 Glenn Dorsey - OK, up and down career
2006 *Patrick Willis - 20.5 sacks, 7 ints, I we we can now call him a great player now
2005 *Demeco Ryans - 13.5 sacks, 5 ints, good player, ran a 4.6ish but this other reported numbers were pretty good
2004 *David Pollack - out of NFL due to injury
2003 Chad Lavalais - started 20 games over 2 years, out of NFL, 5th round pick

I think that pic should be the new Madden cover

I'm sorry if I offend yinz but I'm not only a racist but an admitted homophobe too. It is against everything I have ever been taught both at home and in my religious teachings. To me it's not only sickening but an affront to decent society and a major player in the spread of aids.

That being said, the Country seems to be changing and people like me are being suppressed and labeled as haters. I don't hate them, just don't believe in their 'cause' and as a result..don't really give a **** if he does good or not. Politics has now entered the NFL locker room...congrats !

After reading this entire thread, I only have one comment.

Look, the guy came out when draft projections started showing him to be a late to non drafted player. You have to think there was a motive behind it. The guy successfully made himself a Tolkien gesture... Drafted in an irrelevant spot in a loaded draft to much undeserved fanfare. This is now the second instance where a player on the verge of irrelevance has come out in pro sports hoping to help his cause.

Autocorrect is a *****.

"""The guy successfully made himself a Tolkien gesture"""

I never saw anything like that on Lord Of The Rings.:)

The Dolphins suspended their player from team activities. The league didn't do anything yet.