• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

SB XLIX Game Thread - Pats* vs Seahags

Carrol has said a lot of things, He said he called for a pass play because NE countered with 8 Heavies and 3 CB......Well if that is the case why not spread them out?

Instead you have a tight bunch formation and a pass into the teeth of the defense. NE would of had to call a TO or risk an oaf covering a receiver had they spread them out.

Just so sickening and mind boggling stupid it completely ruined the game for me. It is the equivalent of a really atrocious call, like the tuck rule. It is bad football. Bad football irks me. I could of lived with, respected, and appreciated a goal line stand. But not this, this is the arrogance from the coaching alumni of football genius AKA "Those who know better than us."

This reminded me of Arians obstinate game plan in the GB SB, his refusal to attack a GB secondary that was depleted by injuries that happened DURING the game, (NE had no problem doing that) as well as his idiotic insistence that Ben throw the ball deep and up for grabs at least once per game, (this led directly to a pick 6).

It reminded me of Brad Childress and his use of Adrian Peterson, yes, Adrian Peterson as a decoy inside the 5 yard line. He wanted to fool them.

Who are these people, where do they come from, and why are they ruining the game of football for me?

I wiki'd the current Seattle OC and was not surprised at all that after 5 years of coaching at 3 different small schools at the collegiate level it was a contact that he made at football powerhouse Northern Arizona who brought him to the NFL, the aforementioned Brad Childress who was on staff at Green Bay, Bevell then was promoted to QB Coach, for future HOF'er Brett Farve, sort of like how Arians mentored future HOF'er Petyton Manning.

When Childress became Head Coach of the Vikings he brought Bevell along as his OC, where they perfected the art of deception known as "fooling 'em". It drove fans crazy and eventually drove Childress out of town halfway through a season

Last night, NE knew what was coming next, everybody in the stadium knew what was coming next, hundreds of millions of people who watch and understand American Football knew what was coming next, EVERYBODY knew, except the guy with the headset who called in the play, the guy who wanted to fool us.

Well, He fooled us alright, he fooled us all, and his team lost the Super Bowl at the half yard line because of it.

Last edited:
It's amazing how many people don't know the rules. Like you said the defender has the right to make a play also no pass interference

Agree, the defender was going for the ball, not the receiver. There you go.

Legal interception, and a great play.

I thought the refs did a pretty good job in general. Were there even any challenges?

I thought the refs did a pretty good job in general. Were there even any challenges?

The only big blown call I can remember is the Patriot taking the WR down on the drive between the Patriots fourth quarter TDs.

It's amazing how many people don't know the rules. Like you said the defender has the right to make a play also no pass interference

Unless they recently changed the rule, you are the one that doesn't know it. Yes, the defender and receiver have the right to go for the ball - like a jump ball, etc. But, the defender CANNOT go through the receiver to get to the ball. That used to be spelled out in the rule so unless they recently removed it, it is still the rule. The defender in this case, hits the receiver before the ball arrives, plows him over and makes the pick. That is PI.

Like I said, they could have changed the rule but I have my doubt they would change any rule to give the defender more of a chance. They have been making it harder and harder on the defenders.

Would I have called PI at that point in the game if I were the ref? Maybe but it would have been the correct one.

Agree...No PI

For as awful as the refs have been this year this may have been one of the best games they called..I do not recall a challenge..I sure 1 would have come on that 1 Edelman catch and run but they ended up talking and got that 1 right..

There wer a couple things here and there...the one PI that should have been called on the Pats earlier (4th qt I think) were the defender fell then stuck out his hand and tripped Lockette if I remember correctly ...the running into roughing the punter penalty that was called wrong on the Seahawks..are 2 that come to mind...but all in all a solid job by the refs in this one

Last edited:
Here is the statement from the PI rule on the NFL site:

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

This is exactly what he did.

I thought the Refs sucked.......not on the game changing interception but during the game they did not call the illegal contact penalties that they had called ALL YEAR. It gave NE a tremendous advantage as it did in the Rams v NE super bowl.

The concussion protocol has become another tool for the league to have an impact on the field during the game. Cliff Avrill was removed from the Game by the NFL after evaluation by a league official where he was determined to be concussed, was removed from the game and was not allowed to return to the sideline. That is not a precaution, that is a punishment.

On the other hand offensive player WR Julian Edleman took a vicious shot, was wobbly and was never examined by the league. In the locker room afterward he called Seattle, "ST Louis" and refused to answer questions about whether he underwent the concussion protocol.

What if the same protocol that removed Avril from the Super Bowl, happened to Edleman? What kind of impact would that have on the game?

It is more NFL BS.

Last edited:
Here is the statement from the PI rule on the NFL site:

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

This is exactly what he did.

He does not go thru his back...they arrive at the spot of the ball at the same time...there is no PI ..I dont think they would even call that on us..

i thought the refs let them play, not alot of flags, funniest thing ive seen in a while, ....... you sad bro,

at one point when they were showcasing Michael Bennett - his replays during the game showed he was being held every play. still, not one call. the only holding penalty was on NE's Browner. meanwhile, Bennett was getting more hands on him than a drunken slutty teacher at a high school after-prom party.

right.

at one point when they were showcasing Michael Bennett - his replays during the game showed he was being held every play. still, not one call. the only holding penalty was on NE's Browner. meanwhile, Bennett was getting more hands on him than a drunken slutty teacher at a high school after-prom party.

right.
no doubt , they didnt call much at all . both sides ,

I hate the Cheats* as much as the next guy, but that final INT was not PI. If they start calling that on defenses along with everything else they already call, then football would really be dead. Seattle had every opportunity in the world to win that game and blew it. If the Hawk fans are once again blaming officials, then they should just stick to watching ****** baseball for the rest of their lives.

right.

The officials have been instructed to be more lenient on offensive holding to favor the offense. It's a general league thing, as opposed to a team bias one.

If they called it strictly, JJ Watt may have had 35 sacks this season.

worst play-call in Super Bowl history.

No doubt about that.

Go to any other team board, everyone is saying the exact same thing. "The Playcall" - that's all Seattle fans are gonna hear for the next 50 years.

They were "Bevelled"

100 million fans and players are saying the same thing - stupidest playcall of all time

NFL players can't believe Seattle's final play call

Emmitt Smith
That was the worst play call I've seen in the history of football.��

Deion Sanders
That was the worst play call in the history of the Superbowl!!! Worst QB decision Ever!!!!! Ever Ever! Naw I mean Ever!

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015...wl-marshawn-lynch-russell-wilson-interception

100 million fans and players are saying the same thing - stupidest playcall of all time

NFL players can't believe Seattle's final play call

Emmitt Smith
That was the worst play call I've seen in the history of football.��

Deion Sanders
That was the worst play call in the history of the Superbowl!!! Worst QB decision Ever!!!!! Ever Ever! Naw I mean Ever!

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015...wl-marshawn-lynch-russell-wilson-interception
Larry Foote on The Fan saying that the OC wanted to showcase his "golden boy" (Wilson) winning the game.

So in the end... the Butler did it?

Larry Foote on The Fan saying that the OC wanted to showcase his "golden boy" (Wilson) winning the game.

Yea, he showcased him alright. Like I've said before, Wilson is not a great QB. He is a caretaker passing the ball and a runner. NE gave him days to throw the ball and all he could do was 12 of 21 for 247 yards. And a couple of those are throw the ball up prayers.

If you press their receivers, then Belichick and Brady adjust and find a different way to beat you. That is why they are in the Super Bowl every other year.

No it's not.

Even the most eager Sea Hawks fan couldn't call PI on that. My initial thought was that it was a penalty. CLEARLY the defenders eyes were locked on the ball and he was going to the spot. They met simultaneously at the spot. It was correct.